6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Diesel Fumes in Cab during Regen

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:22 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm going to take a second look. maybe we missed it with my short arms
looks like a easy enough fix. thanks

Old 10-24-2013, 05:03 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
During a regen when pulling to a stop light I can smell that smell on my 13'... not so much the smell of diesel, as it is the smell of 'poison' or 'cancer'. Its the smell of regurgitated, super hot exhaust gasses trying to kill you.
My 2009 6.4 was stuck in a regen during the blizzard we had last year. I drove back and forth in that poison hour after hour while plowing. I could never get it out of regen!!! Literally my eyes were burning from it.

So far the 6.7 seems way better than the 6.4 was in terms of how often and how terrible the regens smell.
I hate DPF Regens... I think that should be a bumper sticker.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well folks, I lived in the 6.4 area for several years and just moved over to the 6.7 a few weeks ago. Coming back from Texas Motor Speedway, pulling my 5er, it went into regen and the Diesel (hot exhaust smell) just about ran us out of the cab. I climbed under it today and low and behold this fitting was completly off. Black soot everywhere. I cleaned it up and around and finally finger tightened it and then put a 17 mm short wrench on it and got it pretty snugg. What a reach to get there, shew! Again FTE has come thru just like it did on my 6.4. Just a test drive into town, it is quieter, seems less turbo lag. There was a faint ticking before and now its completely gone. My wife noticed it first. Going to take it into the dealer and let them put the High Temp pucky on there and maybe that will help to keep it from backing off. Thanks Folks!

Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fixdent
I had the smell last winter, and my "nut" was tight....I have not had the smell all summer, but now the cold weather is starting up again.....we'll see.

--
Gordon

I have developed the smell also on my Job 1 and the "nut" is also tight on mine as well... Not sure where else it could be coming from... Notice it at stop lights and in town driving..

Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 AM
BeasTboyz
New User
My 2013 smells like a 7.3 all the time. Inside the cab it smells like it any time it idles. Definitely not regen related for me. I had the dealer pick it up yesterday. Smells like rich diesel fuel. After putting 65k miles on my 2011 duramax I know what a regen smells like, and its definitely not that.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:15 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another fairly common item that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the exhaust pipe on the front of the EGR cooler. There is a TSB out for that connection coming lose and leaking exhaust pretty bad. Usually it does its share of damage under the hood if it leaks while working the truck hard. I've seen several cases where it melted the windshield washer hose and the washer nozzle on the right side of the hood. Since the first time I read about this problem on the early trucks, I take a peak at mine every time the hood is open.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Another fairly common item that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the exhaust pipe on the front of the EGR cooler. There is a TSB out for that connection coming lose and leaking exhaust pretty bad. Usually it does its share of damage under the hood if it leaks while working the truck hard. I've seen several cases where it melted the windshield washer hose and the washer nozzle on the right side of the hood. Since the first time I read about this problem on the early trucks, I take a peak at mine every time the hood is open.
Good reminder! I didn't look at that last week when I serviced my truck. Repa sent.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 PM
bleppek
Freshman User
Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21
During a regen when pulling to a stop light I can smell that smell on my 13'... not so much the smell of diesel, as it is the smell of 'poison' or 'cancer'. Its the smell of regurgitated, super hot exhaust gasses trying to kill you.
My 2009 6.4 was stuck in a regen during the blizzard we had last year. I drove back and forth in that poison hour after hour while plowing. I could never get it out of regen!!! Literally my eyes were burning from it.

So far the 6.7 seems way better than the 6.4 was in terms of how often and how terrible the regens smell.
I hate DPF Regens... I think that should be a bumper sticker.
I have a 2013 that was giving the same smell during my last regen. I took a look at the pressure tube nut and found it completely loose. Everything was still clean and shiny up there too. No exhaust stains in the area at all.
Guess they should add 2013 models to the TSB.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:14 PM
Kingranch2011
New User
2016 platinum F350 6.7 with a exhaust smell coming from the a/c vents only have 900 miles on it and it has such a bad smell It is burning my eyes and throat. also it has cleaned the exhaust 3 times now. its going back tomorrow only had it for less than 3 weeks

Old 01-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Tigersman
New User
Superheated Exhaust Odor in Cab During Regen

There have been several posts on this thread about a strong superheated exhaust odor inside the cab of F-250 and F-350 6.7L diesels during regen, along with a full-sized picture of the common source of the problem, a 1/4" diameter steel tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the diesel exhaust back pressure sensor. The sensor, which is hidden from view, is located at the end of the tube, away from the hot exhaust manifold. The steel compression nut that secures the 1/4" tubing to the manifold frequently loosens-up, allowing noxious exhaust back pressure fumes to escape into the engine compartment and into the truck cab when the engine is in regen cycle. It's a simple fix, all you have to do is to reach "way" up to the fitting from the underside of the truck, just infront of the oil filter. You will need a flashlight, metric wrench, and a "long reach". I used a ViseGrip to hold my open-end wrench, however, I took it to the dealer to further tighten it and to show them the problem that they failed to find after having it for two days. Kudos to the forum and it's members. The Ford dealer could not find a TSB (technical service bulletin) or special service message covering the problem.

2011 Ford F-350, 6.7L PowerStroke, 4x4, crew cab, SB, SRW, 3.55 axle, Hellwig front and Big Wig rear sway bars, Hellwig self-leveling air suspension system, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Titan 50 gal. tank, Lance 855 camper.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Fix Or Replace Daily
New User
Angry

Originally Posted by Kingranch2011
2016 platinum F350 6.7 with a exhaust smell coming from the a/c vents only have 900 miles on it and it has such a bad smell It is burning my eyes and throat. also it has cleaned the exhaust 3 times now. its going back tomorrow only had it for less than 3 weeks
Likewise, I have the problem of fumes coming into cab through my heater, only when my heater is set to the default of allowing air intake from outside. You must remember to manually press the button to recirculate interior air every time you use the heater or AC. Then you get no outside air or fumes. But remote starting always brings outside air and fumes, which is particularly disappointing on bitter cold days. I have a 2016 F350 6.7L diesel XL model crew cab. Ordered it new from the factory through a dealer and got it in mid-2015. Considering that I have less than 3,500 miles on this in under 18 months and keep the DFP filter cleaned, I regard this fume problem as a shameful engineering problem at Ford. I paid $60 thousand for this vehicle specifically hoping I could avoid serious mechanical problems for at least 50,000 miles. Apparently quality engineering at Ford is 'job none'. If I am wrong, I would not be crawling in forums on the Internet to fix my new Ford.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:57 PM
Rugger Ray
New User
Finally some real insight into what is causing this same issue in my pickup! Be checking tomorrow for certain! Thank you!

Old 10-30-2020, 05:23 PM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 440 Likes on 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigersman
There have been several posts on this thread about a strong superheated exhaust odor inside the cab of F-250 and F-350 6.7L diesels during regen, along with a full-sized picture of the common source of the problem, a 1/4" diameter steel tube that runs from the exhaust manifold to the diesel exhaust back pressure sensor. The sensor, which is hidden from view, is located at the end of the tube, away from the hot exhaust manifold. The steel compression nut that secures the 1/4" tubing to the manifold frequently loosens-up, allowing noxious exhaust back pressure fumes to escape into the engine compartment and into the truck cab when the engine is in regen cycle. It's a simple fix, all you have to do is to reach "way" up to the fitting from the underside of the truck, just infront of the oil filter. You will need a flashlight, metric wrench, and a "long reach". I used a ViseGrip to hold my open-end wrench, however, I took it to the dealer to further tighten it and to show them the problem that they failed to find after having it for two days. Kudos to the forum and it's members. The Ford dealer could not find a TSB (technical service bulletin) or special service message covering the problem.

2011 Ford F-350, 6.7L PowerStroke, 4x4, crew cab, SB, SRW, 3.55 axle, Hellwig front and Big Wig rear sway bars, Hellwig self-leveling air suspension system, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Titan 50 gal. tank, Lance 855 camper.
anyone know if this is still ‘a thing’ for the 2017+ 6.7’s? Today, it finally got cold and I had my heater fan on higher than normal and noticed fumes in the cab. I’ve noticed it before but very faint, I thought it was just some diesel that got on my gloves but today was really bad. If the description above is still valid for 2017+, i’ll give it a shot.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:37 PM
Keith Griffin
Mountain Pass
Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugga
anyone know if this is still ‘a thing’ for the 2017+ 6.7’s? Today, it finally got cold and I had my heater fan on higher than normal and noticed fumes in the cab. I’ve noticed it before but very faint, I thought it was just some diesel that got on my gloves but today was really bad. If the description above is still valid for 2017+, i’ll give it a shot.
I've only had my SD for about 2 months, but I just noticed in the last few days the strong smell of the fumes in the cab as well. Wondering the same thing myself. Subscribed to see if it's still an issue.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:13 PM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 440 Likes on 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith Griffin
I've only had my SD for about 2 months, but I just noticed in the last few days the strong smell of the fumes in the cab as well. Wondering the same thing myself. Subscribed to see if it's still an issue.
the smell for me went away when I put it on recirculate. When I popped the hood, I could get a whiff of the fumes at the passenger side of the engine, back toward the firewall.