6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Diesel Fumes in Cab during Regen

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Fumes in Cab during Regen

I saw a few other threads on fumes, but none relating to the 6.7.

On the way in to work this morning, I get the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message. This was great because I still had about 15 minutes of driving left and it usually comes on right when I am pulling into my driveway. As soon as the regen starts, I can smell diesel exhaust/fumes in the cab (this is going 70 mph on the freeway). When the regen was done, the smell went away. Is this normal? I could understand if I was sitting still getting some exhaust in the cab, but moving at full speed everything should be blowing away. This is my 4th or 5th regen and the first time I have noticed it.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:36 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not normal...there have been some reports of loose exhaust connections.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
Originally Posted by rickatic
not normal...there have been some reports of loose exhaust connections.
If it was a loose connection, wouldn't I smell it all the time then? Just trying to figure this out before I take it in to the dealership, waste half my day, and have them tell me they can't replicate the problem. I'm think I'm going to at least wait until the next regen and see if it happens again.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IIRC, the issue worsens when the additional heat from regeneration is added into the equation. There has not been much discussion here regarding this issue so it appears it is uncommon.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

I will occasionally get an odor in the truck during regen. I wouldn't call it "diesel" smelling, more like superheated exhaust. It is shows up at different speeds, so I am sure there is some kind of eddy current with the wind playing out. I have looked over the entire exhaust system and everything appears to be in place.

But it is definitely not raw fuel.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
I will occasionally get an odor in the truck during regen. I wouldn't call it "diesel" smelling, more like superheated exhaust. It is shows up at different speeds, so I am sure there is some kind of eddy current with the wind playing out. I have looked over the entire exhaust system and everything appears to be in place.

But it is definitely not raw fuel.
I have noticed a different smell when I get out of the truck after a regen. You can tell there was a lot more heat and a different smell near the tailpipe. This smell that I experienced today was similar to driving behind an 18 wheeler. I looked around for a truck or bus, but didn't see anything. It lasted for several miles, then went away when the regen was complete.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 AM
jermort
Senior User
I also get the 'odor' during regen. In my case, I think the fumes are coming in through the air intake for the hvac system at low speeds or when stopped. If I put the hvac in the 'recirculate' mode, viola, no more fumes!

In any event, the fumes are horrible, give me a headache! Wonder what the CO content of those fumes are???

jammer

Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
Originally Posted by jermort
I also get the 'odor' during regen. In my case, I think the fumes are coming in through the air intake for the hvac system at low speeds or when stopped. If I put the hvac in the 'recirculate' mode, viola, no more fumes!

In any event, the fumes are horrible, give me a headache! Wonder what the CO content of those fumes are???

jammer
That's what worried me - I was doing 70 mph. So it can't be anything under the truck, because that would be swept away. It has to be something closer to the engine and near an air intake.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No odor here, other than the smell of burning money after a regen.
Seriously, there are some reports of exhaust entering the cab as Rick stated. Those were due to an exhaust flange leak of some sort. This odor you describe sounds different though. I would be curious to know what the service dept. finds when you take it in.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 AM
jermort
Senior User
The more I think about it, I don't remember noticing the fumes prior to a month or two ago. My wife just recently started complaining about the odors.

Makes you wonder. I did see a string somewhere else on this subject. Can't remember if it was here or fte. Will do some looking.

jammer

Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 AM
baylessbell
New User
I traded my 09 5.4 Cc4x4 F250 for a 2011 CC 4X4 F350 back in October. The first 11,000 or so miles (13782 as of 5 minutes ago) I didnt have the exhaust smell in the cab either. I thought it was just me but I looked around yesterday at the exhaust and found a fitting loose(You'll need a flashlight). If you lay underneath the truck near the oil filter looking up its almost to the top of the exhaust pipe. Just a tubing fitting(looks like 1/4 inch tubing), not sure where it goes but someone else may know. It had soot all around and the fitting wasnt even on the threads. I tightened it up before work ( I dont remember if it was a 16 or 17 mm wrench) and on the drive home this morning as luck would have it the truck went into regen and no exhaust smell this time. Just something to check.

Love this forum by the way. The most informative I have found.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:35 AM
buckmasters
Senior User
Originally Posted by baylessbell
I traded my 09 5.4 Cc4x4 F250 for a 2011 CC 4X4 F350 back in October. The first 11,000 or so miles (13782 as of 5 minutes ago) I didnt have the exhaust smell in the cab either. I thought it was just me but I looked around yesterday at the exhaust and found a fitting loose(You'll need a flashlight). If you lay underneath the truck near the oil filter looking up its almost to the top of the exhaust pipe. Just a tubing fitting(looks like 1/4 inch tubing), not sure where it goes but someone else may know. It had soot all around and the fitting wasnt even on the threads. I tightened it up before work ( I dont remember if it was a 16 or 17 mm wrench) and on the drive home this morning as luck would have it the truck went into regen and no exhaust smell this time. Just something to check.

Thank you sir. Funny thing is, now that I think about it, I kept hearing a rattle on the way in also. More of a thunking sound like the pass side door was open when I went over bumps in the road. I opened and shut it twice to be sure, but the noise continued. Is this fitting large enough to make some significant noise?

Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 AM
jermort
Senior User
Originally Posted by baylessbell

Great tip. As soon as it dries out, I'm crawling under the thing to check!

On my way home from coffee this a.m. I noticed fumes at a stoplight. About 15 seconds later, the Cleaning Exhaust Filter message popped up!

jammer

Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 AM
baylessbell
New User
I didnt even think about that fitting rattling. I had been hearing it(assuming thats what it was) rattle for a while but I just went to check it out and didnt hear it so far. I was getting that ticking noise that has been mentioned but it isnt there right now even with the truck warm. Maybe that fitting was bouncing around or even being pushed around by the exhaust flow and making noise, I sure hope that was it. I took a pic of the fitting , give me a few minutes and I'll post it.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 AM
baylessbell
New User
Ok, I'm not computer savvy enough to post pics but they are on photobucket http//photobucket.com/whitef350
I've got a pic of the fitting and you can still see the soot since I didnt wipe it off yet. Hope this fixes someone else's problem also.

Quick Reply: Diesel Fumes in Cab during Regen