6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

another White Smoke thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rdunagan
well there ya go that sums it up. thanks riffraff i learned something new again today!! btw think im gonna order some boots from yall soon do you do fte discounts for members?
No problem, just don't want him to run into problems.

I don't have a discount for FTE members specifically, sorry. But they are all in stock in all three colors

Old 05-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I will chime in to tell you which one applies to your vehicle. All 2004 model year trucks came equipped with either a 2003 engine or 2004 engine. Here is a breakdown to tell you how to identify yours:

EARLY-BUILD 2004
-build date earlier than September 29th, 2003
-2003 engine (as identified by data plate on the passenger side valve cover)
-ICP sensor under the turbo
-Straight rail with braided high pressure hose to each bank of cylinders, secured by eight 8mm bolts.
-Uses injector part numbers CN-5020 (3C3Z-9E527-ECRM)

LATE-BUILD 2004
-build date September 29th, 2003 and later
-2004 engine (as identified by data plate on passenger side valve cover)
-ICP sensor on passenger side valve cover.
-Wavy high pressure oil rail on each bank of cylinders secured by nine TX-30 fasteners.
-Uses injector part numbers CN-5019-RM (4C3Z-9E527-BRM)

HOPE THIS HELPS. DO NOT use the incorrect injector for your application.
I'm wondering what the long term affects are when you use the updated injector on the early style truck? I'm pretty sure I used the wrong one about 8k ago. Truck runs like a top now but now I'm freaking out! The parts guy just handed me the injector when I asked. Didn't ask for vin or if I needed the old sytle or new one.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Dale Seeley
Senior User
Again, thank you everyone who offered any sort of advice, and I'd like to give special thanks to Cliff and m-chan68 for providing solid techincal information.

I spoke with Cliff earlier this week, too late for him to be able to get parts to me because I wasn't sure what I needed yet. We all know that I'm going to need 7 more injectors soon, if I had any brains in my head (and confidence that the injector was the only problem) I would be ordering them from him today for install next week. I was worried that Clay might not be overly happy with me for wasting his time this week and buying elsewhere, but when the truck moved from "there is something going wrong" to "it's gone bad" I had to do something in hopes of salvaging the race this weekend.

m-chan, somehow, by the grace of god and general rationalization of how part numbers work, I decided last minute to go with the 4C3Z part. My engine does have the updated parts you described, including the nearly impossible to get to TX-30 bolts on the oil manifold. Thank you for providing me with piece of mind that I got something right.

I took the day off from work today to finish buttoning up the valve cover and replacing stuff that had to come off. With any luck at all, the truck will be repaired enough to get us through the weekend.

Tonight we are leaving Atlanta to Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw (SC) to break in the 125 Rotax engine on Friday during practice, and do some chassis setup. We'll sleep at the track, in the Excursion, then race on Saturday. Saturday evening, we'll drive back to Atlanta, but instead of going home, go directly to Atlanta Motor Speedway for Day 2 of the SCCA Solo National Tour event, sleep in the truck again, and compete on Sunday at AMS. We'll have missed Day 1 of the event, but hope to do well enough to move my son, Jesse, who is 12 this year, back to the top of the list at Hotshoefactor.com as one of the fastest drivers (raw or handicap time) in the US and Canada.

So, there is a lot riding on this repair, and I thank everyone again who has been instrumental on getting us this far.

I just wish the engine sat farther forward in the chassis, and there wasn't so much stuff wedged in around it....

Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Dale Seeley
Senior User
Hurumph.

No change in the smoke issue, but the truck does get it's idle better at cold start up.

AutoEnginuity (From RiffRaff) now tells me the injectors are good, the balance test looks good.

I know I said the FICM tested good for me earlier, but I haven't tested it since the smoke started, so that's back on the table.

I decided to punt and while dropping off the unused injector (old style) and the core I pulled the truck into the service bay for a diagnostic by someone who knows what the heck they are doing. They know they aren't getting the truck this weekend, if they want to fix it they have to do it today or wait until Monday.

The parts guy, who trusted me to come back with parts and money, dropped the actual price of the injector I used to $240.

So I'll know more after lunch, and if they don't fix it today, and it's just something like the injectors, Clay will get the order right away. If it's much deeper than that though, I'll probably just pay them to do it right and warranty the work.

Clay, I do know I need the silicone connectors for the hot side of the intercooler pipe, both ends.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Dale Seeley
Hurumph.

No change in the smoke issue, but the truck does get it's idle better at cold start up.

AutoEnginuity (From RiffRaff) now tells me the injectors are good, the balance test looks good.

I know I said the FICM tested good for me earlier, but I haven't tested it since the smoke started, so that's back on the table.

I decided to punt and while dropping off the unused injector (old style) and the core I pulled the truck into the service bay for a diagnostic by someone who knows what the heck they are doing. They know they aren't getting the truck this weekend, if they want to fix it they have to do it today or wait until Monday.

The parts guy, who trusted me to come back with parts and money, dropped the actual price of the injector I used to $240.

So I'll know more after lunch, and if they don't fix it today, and it's just something like the injectors, Clay will get the order right away. If it's much deeper than that though, I'll probably just pay them to do it right and warranty the work.

Clay, I do know I need the silicone connectors for the hot side of the intercooler pipe, both ends.
Ok, they are in stock in all colors. Don't worry about not buying the injector from me, I am happy to help either way.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Dale Seeley
Senior User
Latest update... Not a big surprise to most of you who know about these things I bet...

EGR cooler and some other stuff attached to it...

Somehow, coolant is going to air at a slow rate, and oil is going into the engine at slightly faster, yet seemingly random rate. I haven't looked at how things are plumbed yet, just read a couple threads about it in the past.

No, I won't delete the EGR. I know it's not very useful, I know everything works better without it, I know this would not have happened if it never existed.

The good news is that I should get the truck back tonight, and unlike my DIY work, it will be warrantied. Yes it will cost more money than buying upgraded parts and doing it myself, but if I don't have to see that engine again until I install Clay's injectors, I'll be happy.

I do see some positive things about this. I did get the injector that was needed in, without making more of a mess of things. I know I would have to address the EGR thing soon anyway, now it will be done for a few years. Most importantly, it happened at home, and not most of the way to South Carolina this week, Orlando last week, Lincoln Nebraska in a few weeks, Blytheville Arkansas in a few more weeks, or Salt Lake City Utah in a few weeks. Nothing says happiness like a nice reliable tow vehicle...

Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Unrealo4
I'm wondering what the long term affects are when you use the updated injector on the early style truck? I'm pretty sure I used the wrong one about 8k ago. Truck runs like a top now but now I'm freaking out! The parts guy just handed me the injector when I asked. Didn't ask for vin or if I needed the old sytle or new one.
I was wondering what the diffrences were too I can see theres diffrent HPOR between the years is that it or is there something eles like its wired diffrent

Unrealo4 you might be ok if its been 8k and trucks running good