6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 greywhite smokin' at stoplights

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Dacamino
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 greywhite smokin' at stoplights

I have a 2004 F-250 w/ 6.0 turbodiesel. Recently, it has started smoking after it has been running for awhile at high RPMs. I notice it after the vehicle slows down, and I am sitting at stoplights. It doesn't smoke upon initial start-up. The smoke is grey and smells very oily- not like coolant- I am also not loosing coolant. It doesn't seem to fit the EGR cooler troubleshooting or injector problems. Turbo? Valves? After the vehicle has sat for awhile (still running) the smoking stops. I was occassionally using the BioDiesel Fuel Additive w/ Cetane- could this have caused problems. I have ran some Lucas fuel cleaner to try to clean-up the injectors. Currently, there is no loss of power- even while pulling my trailer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Dacamino
New User
I should've also noted that I have an AIRRAID custom air breather and Power AID throttle body spacer (which I am going to remove tonight to see if it helps).

Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
Id check the FICM
then park it nose down on a hill and pull the egr valve out chamber should be dry
you could try and clean the egr valve or replace
also pull the down pipe on the turbo back and check for oil inside the down pipe from a bad turbo seal

get rid of the air raid the stock setup is best at filtering the dirt out
do you use a tunner

Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Dacamino
New User
Not sure what the FICM is? (new to diesel mechanics, but quickly learning...)

I will check the EGR valve and the seal on the turbo. Installing a tuner was my next step, but I thought I should take care of the smoke first. Hoepfully just the EGR.

Any other advice you got is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
The FICM is that grey box thing ontop of the driverside valve cover

There is a little cover plate on top take the cover off and check the screws for voltage

becareful dont ground the tester on the FICM cover look at the top of the 6.0 forum click the tech folder and go to testing FICM be shure to use the procedure for your year of truck theres two styles of FICM

FICM = fuel injection control module

you might want to get some gauges before yo tune it to check things out www.scangauge.com you will still need fuel pressure gauge but most put the blue spring in anyway and is a must with any tuner and our dead end fuel rail IMO