6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

smokes white after 10 min warm up, egr?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
smokes white after 10 min warm up, egr?

My truck is puffing smoke after about 10 minutes and warmed up (looks white).

It happens only one time for about 30 seconds and looks light grey or whitish in color, definitely not black smoke.

The truck runs just fine, starts great, doesen't hesitate or studder, doesn't loose any coolant, no signs of pukage. In other words, it Runs perfect.

By the time the smoke happens I am usually at an intersection and see this white smoke billow past me or see it in the pass. side mirror. it's too hard at the time to get out of the truck at that exact 10-15 seconds it smokes to smell it or see it's true color without my sunglasses on but it looks white or greyish. not convinced it's a blueish color.

The truck doesn't smoke at start up or run rough so I'm ruling out injectors.
I think it might be the egr cooler that is still connected eventhough there is no hot gasses going through it. (Did the up pipe mod). I might have an egr valve that has a bad seal on it. I'll have to remove the egr valve and see if it looks gummy in there since the egr cooler still routes coolant.

The other thing it might be is a bad oil seal on the turbo which is burning off leaked oil after it's warmed up, again I don't see it smoke for the rest of the day.

The very first time I saw it smoke was the day after I did the up pipe mod and capped off the egr cooler. I may have had a small cooler leak before I did the up pipe mod and now the coolant (if it's coolant) can't run in the exhaust or burn off there directly.
My SCT turns off the egr valve but the valve may have a bad seal in it along with a defective egr cooler. will remove the valve to inspect tomorrow if possible.

Anyone with any ideas to pinpoint the culpret?

Old 04-02-2009, 02:44 AM
woodrow151
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why dont you put it back (egr) and see if it still does it just my opinion.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 AM
OLDFORDFINDER
New User
Hopeful Help

It sounds to me like you may have a small intake leak which didn't show till you put more pressure on it by doing the mod. Also check coolant color for any browning. Could possibly be just condensation in the exhaust.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:02 AM
satcom40
Elder User
IF the oil seal goes bad on the turbo your know it,after warm up it smokes a whiteish/Gray cloud that does not stop, I left one going down the highway.
Turbo replaced by Dealer.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
pull the egr valve and check for coolant in the intake. although you'd think that after the mod it wouldnt be able to make it into the combustion chambers, but maybe?.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
R & R'd the egr valve to inspect and found it to be damp looking.
Didn't see liquid but it certainly wasn't a flat black dry soot environment.
It looked really shiny black and ugghh nasty.
The egr valve had black shiney damp gooey crap on it.
Just like what the inside of the intake manifold looks like.
Soooo, I think the cooler has a small crack in it and needs to be $#!t canned.
Hope I'm on the right track here.

Any recommendations on parts needed?
gaskets?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Not sure this is helpful but ....... a black gooey EGR valve does not necessarily mean for certain it is the EGR cooler. The sludge you described on your EGR valve is exactly what I saw at 30k on mine. I am quite sure I do not (did not) have a leaking cooler. I will admit, I never saw any smoke like you do, but (IMO) just to see it once for a brief time seems to be odd for a leaking cooler. If you could not smell any coolant when you pulled your EGR valve, I would still lean to a combustion issue. Have you tried double dosing fuel treatment for a Cetane boost and, have you re-routed your ccv vent (I can't remember if you have or not).

Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 PM
moed
Freshman User
Benchwrech thanks for your write up. I would place my bet on the egr cooler being the culprit. the egr cooler can have the on and off white smoke. but will get more frequent with time.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
It seems I'm at the same point as you Mark, have already done the CCV and am at 27k mi.
I could NOT smell any coolant nor could I smell even a hint of fuel. I smelled absolutely nothing whatsoever which seemed kinda strange for such rich black goo.
I guess I could change tunes and try that first.
As far as addys, last tank had 8 oz. of cetane boost as does this new tank of fuel along with a quart of ashless TW 2S oil. Been running this combo for for a year or better.
Again, will try a different tune first. Since the cooler is blocked off, going back to stock will show a PO401.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by moed
Benchwrech thanks for your write up. I would place my bet on the egr cooler being the culprit. the egr cooler can have the on and off white smoke. but will get more frequent with time.
I noticed that too, it's getting more and more frequent these last few weeks. It used to be only once a week or so and recently I haven't been running the truck but about every 2-3 days for 20 miles.

After doing a search on this, there wasn't much chatter regarding white smoke after warmed up then just disappears. So thought this thread might help someone else with the same symptoms.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Definitely let us know how the tune affected things! It is just so easy to smell coolant and when you did not detect any in the EGR valve area, AND you see no coolant loss - just seems to point to something else. You don't really have to lose a lot of coolant to start to see the level drop in the degas bottle.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by OLDFORDFINDER
It sounds to me like you may have a small intake leak which didn't show till you put more pressure on it by doing the mod. Also check coolant color for any browning. Could possibly be just condensation in the exhaust.
thanks for the helpful info. will keep an eye on the coolant and post back with findings after changing SCT programming.

Satcom40;
that makes sense, if it was a bad turbo seal, it would smoke constantly, thanks for the heads up on those symptoms too.

At this point I'm going to bet it has to do with SCT programming but not ruling out a combination of a couple things including condensation, but it's just so much "thick" smoke for those 10-15 seconds.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Just added about a pint of coolant mix to the degas bottle so evidently something's wrong , changed tune files to see if that has any impact on puffin smoke after warm up.

Planning a 5,000 mile trip so I should be able to see if coolant is going down during the ride.

I just hope it's not head related.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
regarding the post above, I think the pint of coolant "loss" was because I didn't add coolant when I changed out the coolant filter.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:37 PM
rcorcich
Tuned
My truck was acting the same exact way .Took it to the dealer under warranty @83K,
They replaced the egr cooler and did some other stuff...All better. Sorry

Rich

But I was going thru a bit of coolant

Quick Reply: smokes white after 10 min warm up, egr?