Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 07:19 AM
WE3ZS
Received 932 Likes on 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulinbass02
Guys my wife would shoot me for being on my
phone long enough to go through this entire thread....we currently have a 32’ TT that weighs in around 8200lbs. We have the Ex because we have 6 kids....our TT is just not quite roomy enough for us anymore.
We’ve been looking HARD at a new one that is 37’ and about 10k GVWR.
I’ve done a V/C code swap, and not really concerned about the 6.0 and it’s capabilities, the Ex is really solid and a joy to drive with my upgrades.
I use a Reese Dual Cam on ALL my trailers and really don’t doubt the capability of the truck with the right trailer. I’m just wondering if this might be biting off more than I can chew......any thoughts?

My '05 V-10 EX riding on modded X/modded B codes and 35"s with 4.88 gears is our dedicated tow rig for our 41' (hitch to rear bumper) Jayco 338RETS TT that scales at just under 12,000lbs. I use a Hensley Arrow hitch which keeps the combo pretty well behaved even in strong crosswinds. We have had this TT since late '13 and have over 30K miles on it so far, it tows very well and the 6.8 with the effective 4.39 gearing has handled nearly everything East of the Mississippi (have not been to MS or LA yet but it ha been to a couple Canadian provinces) without any issues. With the EX, WD hitch and TT setup well I don't think that new TT should be a problem.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:50 AM
Haulinbass02
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WE3ZS I appreciate your reply. My stance is always one of a properly setup rig will be stable, especially one that is fully capable and BUILT to tow. I’ll keep this thread updated once we finally buy the trailer and get it set up. But for now, this is what we are camping in.
A couple pics from our vacation to Colorado last month...
Oh and I found that one chain link on the tensioners can make a huge difference in how the Ex rows. Once I dialed the Reese Dual Cam in on the second day, my rig was a pure dream.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 264 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
My '05 V-10 EX riding on modded X/modded B codes and 35"s with 4.88 gears is our dedicated tow rig for our 41' (hitch to rear bumper) Jayco 338RETS TT that scales at just under 12,000lbs. I use a Hensley Arrow hitch which keeps the combo pretty well behaved even in strong crosswinds. We have had this TT since late '13 and have over 30K miles on it so far, it tows very well and the 6.8 with the effective 4.39 gearing has handled nearly everything East of the Mississippi (have not been to MS or LA yet but it ha been to a couple Canadian provinces) without any issues. With the EX, WD hitch and TT setup well I don't think that new TT should be a problem.
I agree, a properly set up Ex can pull 12K easily. As with anything being towed have the correct WD, I use a ProPride, and have the proper towing equipment and mods on the truck and trailer. Drive at the speed limit or max of 65 MPH in the right lane, Load the trailer properly, Know your limitations and your truck's limitations.
The 3.73s and a 6.0L are a good setup, you wont win a race on an uphill but you will maintain power. As always, watch the engine vitals and use tow/haul mode. Don't add tuners, make sure your cooling system is top notch and maintenance is up to date and you should be fine.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:17 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I find that my PHP tow tunes helps. I have heavy tow and medium tow. My lightest tow arrangement is 7-7.5K my heaviest is 12K+

Old 07-07-2020, 08:49 PM
houstontxex
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavenTn
I pretty good at check lists coming out of the nuclear industry. lol However... My wife thinks I'm too thorough until she screws up, then I'm an ***.
Haha, hit home with me, especially if you are accused of abuse.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:26 PM
houstontxex
Freshman User
Good pics. Is this your new camper?

Old 07-08-2020, 01:56 PM
Haulinbass02
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by houstontxex
Who are you referring to? If it’s me then no, it’s our current camper we’ve had for several years that we are looking to upgrade.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:36 PM
WE3ZS
Received 932 Likes on 629 Posts

When referring to one specific prior post in a thread like this with thousands of posts, many with camper pictures, it would be better to use the "Quote" button to indicate exactly which post you are commenting on. Like this.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:27 PM
houstontxex
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Haulinbass02
Who are you referring to? If it’s me then no, it’s our current camper we’ve had for several years that we are looking to upgrade.
My apologies Haulinbass...new user mistake. Was directing my post to ArmyRover. Looks like he is moving from traditional RV to possibly a custom cargo trailer camper. I have a 20 ft cargo with very basic mods and it is constantly a work in progress. Most of the information/inspiration I get is from TNTTT.com...Cargo Trailer Conversions. It is a forum similar to this one...the best people with the best info.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:30 PM
ArmyRover
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My apologies Haulinbass...new user mistake. Was directing my post to ArmyRover. Looks like he is moving from traditional RV to possibly a custom cargo trailer camper. I have a 20 ft cargo with very basic mods and it is constantly a work in progress. Most of the information/inspiration I get is from TNTTT.com...Cargo Trailer Conversions. It is a forum similar to this one...the best people with the best info.

The travel trailer will stay our travel trailer the cargo trailer is an addition. The cargo trailer is being used for cargo, moving my parents and is spec'd out large enough to fit a my Land Rovers inside. There will end up being some built in's up front with a bed, storage etc. That will all be secondary to the hauling capability though.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:05 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
We spent 6 days in one of the White Mountain National Forest campgrounds. Had a quiet, but great time. Only ventured into town once. Our new pup's (8 months) first camping trip. Looking forward to doing a week or so there in August also.

Gratuitous Ex shot....

Been using the heck out of the Blackstone. Hardly ever use the Webber anymore.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:12 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,168 Likes on 568 Posts
That's good stuff, I want to go there. We were planning on upstate NY this summer, somehow the Governor hasn't made me feel very welcome there this year. Some local state parks in our near future.

What a handsome white truck in the background!

Old 07-12-2020, 08:50 AM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
That's good stuff, I want to go there. We were planning on upstate NY this summer, somehow the Governor hasn't made me feel very welcome there this year. Some local state parks in our near future.

What a handsome white truck in the background!
To heck with NY, come just a little further to NH. With some notice I'd try to meet up for a day or two ( We are staying the same place Aug 9th-ish to the 18th-ish.). You need some break in miles anyway...… why not make a few of them up the Mount Washington Auto Road ( https://mt-washington.com/ ).

That white truck was nice...….. if you are into Chevys.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:10 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
I loved the white mountains when we did our trip to Acadia. Wish we could have spent more than a night there. For sure on the return list!

Old 07-12-2020, 09:48 PM
ArmyRover
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I once enjoyed riding a motorcycle up Mount Washington after a couple days of riding through the white mountains. Gorgeous scenery up there

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!