1995 E-150 Transmission - help please! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1995 E-150 Transmission - help please!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 PM
precisiontile
Senior User
precisiontile has a good reputation on FTE.precisiontile has a good reputation on FTE.
Question 1995 E-150 Transmission - help please!

We own a 1995 E-150 Conversion van with a 5.0/overdrive transmission. We have a shudder when our van goes into overdrive. We also own another 1995 E-150 parts van that had a 351 W /new rebuilt overdrive transmission with a brand new torque converter. I noticed that the transmissions have different pans on them - ours has a rectangle shallow pan and the other has a longer deeper pan. I didn't realize at the time I took our van and the other transmission into mechanics that the two transmissions were different. I believe ours is an AODE and was told the other is a axode (he said like what is in a heavier truck)?! He had advised me that it would take a lot to change them around and that even then it wouldn't work. We really don't have the money to have ours rebuilt and don't know where to start!

Where do I find information on the transmissions that we have and how do I pinpoint the correct transmission in our van. I was told by other people that our torque converter could be the only fault, but am not sure. The only time we get the shudder is when the van goes into overdrive and depending on the incline, gas and load. It does not slip in any other gears and does not shudder if overdrive is switched off. Please help!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The 302 van has a 4R70W transmission. The 351 van has an E4OD. It would cost a ton of money to switch transmissions and get ir to work. Rebuilding what you have would cost a lot less.

What you probably need to fix your trans is a fluid flush. Find a shop with a flush machine that will use a MERCON V fluid. Most of the time that will fix the shudder when shifting to overdrive. It's very common on the 4R70W transmission.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 PM
EconolineFan
Senior User
EconolineFan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would avoid a flush on an older high mileage vehicle. Too risky. 90's Fords are well known to shudder you can ignore it and drive it as-is.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Henry10s
Elder User
Henry10s is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't backflush, just forward-flush. That way the entire fluid is replaced with Mercon V.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM
precisiontile
Senior User
precisiontile has a good reputation on FTE.precisiontile has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for the advice! I will give that a try first then guess if it doesn't work I will change out the torque converter.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:23 PM
subford
Post Fiend
subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
What you can do also is go to a Ford dealer and buy 4 FL OZ of Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier and put it in the transmission. This usually works.
It is the same stuff that you put in a LS rear end.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Henry10s
Elder User
Henry10s is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by precisiontile View Post
Thanks for the advice! I will give that a try first then guess if it doesn't work I will change out the torque converter.
Changing torque converters is not that easy, unless you have unlimited funds and time and a real hobby on properly matching TCs to transmissions. Some other steps need to be done before you go there. It's like me complaining for my cough, and you prescribing a triple heart-bypass surgery (if such exists).

Try fluid change, or the LS additive that Subford advised, then take it step-by-step.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Drivingmad44
Junior User
Drivingmad44 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a '97 E150 conversion with the 5.4L motor and the E40D tranny. Mine does the exact same thing, only in overdrive. Have a friend local that owns a tranny shop and he says it's some sort of "lock-out" solenoid in the torque converter. I've beeen driving it the way it is for almost two years now and it hasn't gotten any worse. (damned sure hasn't gotten any better either LOL)

Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 PM
subford
Post Fiend
subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
There is no "lock-out" solenoid in the torque converter or any solenoid in the torque converter.
There is a solenoid pack above the pan that has a TCC solenoid on it however for the torque converter clutch.
You could have a bad clutch in the torque converter or some other clutch pack causing the problem. Bad sensor information to the PCM can cause this also.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Drivingmad44
Junior User
Drivingmad44 is starting off with a positive reputation.
well, like I said, I've been driving it like this for close to 2 yrs now and just got my wires crossed about what he said. But he DID say it was TC related and he DID say something about a solenoid. sorry if I misinformed anyone.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:18 PM
llbeen
New User
llbeen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Reviving an OLD thread...similar issues

Need help: 95 E150 Conversion van, auto 5.8L V8 with overdrive

I recently replaced the serp belt and tensioner........Then it became very jerky and slow on upshifts, and the speedo +odo, not working. Fluid levels are fine.

Thinking the VSS, I cannot find anything resembling a VSS (no speedo cables either) coming out of the 20 bolt tranny body. The area where the VSS/speedo cable should be, is covered with a plastic plug.

There is only one connector and sensor on top of there rear diff.

Ideas? Where's the stuff going to the speedo? Anything I could have knocked loose under the airbox and near the belts?

Thanks a bunch.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:11 PM
subford
Post Fiend
Sounds like you have a bad fuse.
Fuse #1 or #17.
The VSS sensor is the one on the rear end but it will not make the odometer blank out.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 PM
llbeen
New User
llbeen is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did check 17 (good), but not #1-- will check tomorrow. Hope it is burnt.

How does the speedo get its input, and how is it tied to the shifting? Thanks, Subfiord!

Old 03-14-2018, 05:59 AM
subford
Post Fiend
The PCM operates the transmission and the PCM gets it speed information from the PSOM.
See image below:

/

Old 03-14-2018, 08:52 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by subford View Post
The PCM operates the transmission and the PCM gets it speed information from the PSOM.
See image below:

/
The above is correct. The VSS is located on top of the rearend housing. The sensors do fail from time to time or can get full of metal debris and become non-functional. The VSS signal goes to the PSOM (Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module). If the odometer is black its likely because the PSOM has no power or otherwise failed. As noted above, check the fuse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 E-150 Transmission - help please!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.