6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Gearhead Automotive tunes...WOW

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts
I am running 4.56's and still disagree with the 1600* danger point setting. At most your danger point should be 1400 for a few seconds....AT BEST. By the time you reach 1600* you are redlining the engine and probably doing 100+....not sure why you'd want to do that unless you are on a controlled strip...Just my opinion

Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe Blow -

You are running the SCT SF3, correct? Did you try out all of the canned tunes to compare them against the custom tunes? Any idea how Matt's unlimited tow is different than the trans only tune on the SF3?

I've been trying to decide whether or not to go with customer tunes as well. I'm currently using the SF3 canned tunes and have liked them so far. I'm not studded and have a 10klb travel trailer that I'll be hauling around this summer. Going to try the trans only tune with aggressive T/H from the SF3 the next time I hook up.

Forgot to add: I have gauges (Insight), but no exhaust. Should I be adding exhaust before I do custom tunes?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Hey Texas A&M,

I installed the performance tune that came with SF3, but no other.

I can tell you that Matt's tunes (atleast the SRL...street race lite) safe for NON STUDDED trucks is KICKASS over the canned tune that I previously ran with for a week. I talked to Matt extensively about what I wanted originally.....which included turbo braking. He discouraged it and said that his unlimitted tow tune and 8k tow tune included a transmission tune and enhanced tow/haul which works GREAT.

From what I can see with his SRL tune.....I am pretty certain his other two are probably dead spot on in descritpion and performance.

FWIW I recommend his tunes. The SRL tune shifts like a DREAM!!! The power delivery is awesome and I have said it once before, it is like a new truck.

PS....I highly recommend a 4" exhaust and straight piping if you can.....but at a minimum 4".

Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
i only hit 1400 for a few seconds. i told matt because i though it was alittle high and he said dont worry about it your fine just dont go over 1600 so thats what im doing. im not saying 1600 is where you should start worrying im saying 1600 is the o crap i need to let off point

Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 AM
TexasA&M
Elder User
4" is in the plans, but won't be in the budget until the end of summer or so. Would the tune be specific to my exhaust, as in, would I need to have Matt adjust the tune after I got the 4"?

I had read on here plenty before about how much the custom tunes were better than canned. I thought the cannned tunes really woke the truck up, but I may have to go custom now that you have given a direct comparison. Decisions decisions!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:29 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
The tunes are not specifically written, lets say for example....4" as opposed to OEM....cold air as opposed to OEM filter etc. The tunes are written for studded or non studded trucks and can be tweaked for other major mods like injectors, turbo etc....not minor stuff like exhaust. He will ask you what you have and straight up recommends 4" and gauges as a must!

You will not be disappointed with his tunes Texas A&M.....It takes atleast 50 miles for the truck to relearn the tune and once it does, it gets better and better......IT IS THE GREATEST THING I HAVE DONE TO MY TRUCK.....other than the egr cooler delete etc etc

BTW....all of Matt's tunes alreadt have the EGR strategy removed but he recommends the EGR valve remain plugged in...not sure why but he does.

Good luck
Joe

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joe blow
BTW....all of Matt's tunes alreadt have the EGR strategy removed but he recommends the EGR valve remain plugged in...not sure why but he does.

Good luck
Joe
Reason for leaving the EGR valve plugged in is to not adversely affect the operation of the electronically controlled cooling fan. Cheezit did some testing a ways back with the valve plugged and unplugged and noticed with his monitoring equipment that the cooling fan didn't cycle correctly with the valve unplugged. As a result, leaving the valve unplugged could lead to overheating caused by improper cooling fan operation. I can't recall if this is a concern with all year 6.0s or just 05 and up models.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 AM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Originally Posted by joe blow
The tunes are not specifically written, lets say for example....4" as opposed to OEM....cold air as opposed to OEM filter etc. The tunes are written for studded or non studded trucks and can be tweaked for other major mods like injectors, turbo etc....not minor stuff like exhaust. He will ask you what you have and straight up recommends 4" and gauges as a must!

You will not be disappointed with his tunes Texas A&M.....It takes atleast 50 miles for the truck to relearn the tune and once it does, it gets better and better......IT IS THE GREATEST THING I HAVE DONE TO MY TRUCK.....other than the egr cooler delete etc etc

Good luck
Joe
Good to know, on all counts. It's cheaper for the tunes than the exhaust, so I'll probably go with them first. Looking forward to checking it out! The only downside I guess is that my truck has a trailer hooked up to it more than not, so I'll be switching between tunes quite a bit.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
Reason for leaving the EGR valve plugged in is to not adversely affect the operation of the electronically controlled cooling fan. Cheezit did some testing a ways back with the valve plugged and unplugged and noticed with his monitoring equipment that the cooling fan didn't cycle correctly with the valve unplugged. As a result, leaving the valve unplugged could lead to overheating caused by improper cooling fan operation. I can't recall if this is a concern with all year 6.0s or just 05 and up models.

Awesome....great to know

Texas A&M,
You cannot tow with anything but the unlimited tow if you are towing more than 8k....IMO if I were you, I would only tow your current trailer with the unlimited tow (stock fueling parameters with enhanced trans features I mentioned) since you do noy have exhaust yet.

If you could let me know how you like the tow programs, that would be awesome...especially how the tow/haul and shifting!

Thanks
Joe

Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
First, is your EGT probe pre or post turbo? My probe is pre turbo and with the stock tuning, I didn't go much over 1100 degrees at WOT.

Second, Matt's SRL and Unlimited Tow tunes are supposed to be good for non-studded trucks. His 8K Tow tune is supposed to be good to 8K towed weight on an unstudded truck and unlimited for a studded truck. However, as with anything that changes stock parameters it's caveat emptor. I've heard of stock trucks having problems with blown head gaskets. I waited until mine was out of warranty and had 96k miles on the odometer before taking the plunge. I also made sure I had the proper gauges, fuel pressure was good, and had an upgraded exhaust before messing with the tuning. I also understand the concept of "pay to play." If I do happen to lift a head with the tune, I'm ready to pay for the consequences. I won't go blaming Ford/Navistar or the tuner. I'll chaulk it up to experience and keep on moving forward.
Pre turbo, its on the left exhaust manifold. My temps are lower too because i dont run tunes. I just didnt think they could run 1400 to 1500 degrees safely. My truck has 114k, with factory hg's, all is well so im looking at tunes, i want to ger studs here soon.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I talked to Matt today I emailed him a question on Saturday night ,, Sunday AM I had my answer

I am still waiting on ID to to answer my emails and phone calls from a year ago

but as it turned out I was happy I was ignored ,,I found a better tune and tuner

Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
There you go Zman.....enough said. Matt called me from his home late at night (his time) and next day had my tunes.....that is what I'm talking about!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Okay. Took me a while but finally was able to make a couple passes at wide open throttle on Matt's SRL tune. I monitored RPM, speed, boost, and EGT. I already had data from two passes with the stock tune. All four passes were taken on the same stretch of road for consistency. Below is the data, all data is max readings:

Pass #1, stock tune, 85 F outside air temp
RPM: 3630
Speed: 61.5 mph
Boost: 28 psi
EGT: 1126.5 F

Pass #2, stock tune, 83 outside air temp
RPM: 3613
Speed: 69 mph
Boost: 28 psi
EGT: 1115.5 F

Pass #3, SRL tune, 77 outside air temp
RPM: 4116
Speed: 70.2
Boost: 24 psi
EGT: 1543.3 F

Pass #4, SRL tune, 84 outside air temp
RPM: 4069
Speed: 64.6
Boost: 24 psi
EGT: 1468.8

I guess I need to back out of it at 60 mph to keep EGTs under control. But what I'm seeing is for probably less than 2 seconds above 1300 F and only at the max temp for a fraction of a second.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
you can't just chuck a tune in and run it WOT ,, the transmision has a learning curve .. my tunes never run the best until it is complete
How are you data loging???

thanks for the post !! this is interesting stuff
IMHO

Old 04-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Put the tune in over two weeks and 900 daily communting miles ago. Should be plenty of time for the tranny relearn. I pulled the stock data before I installed the new tune so I'd have a baseline to compare with.

I'm data logging with my Insight. You can also use the SCT X3/SF3 to data log as well but I haven't really looked into the SCT capabilities since I have the Insight. I capture one pass then I download the data to my computer for review.

I get quite a bit of grey/black smoke during accceleration (more than I thought I would). Would like to know other's experiences and what values they are seeing with this tune.

Quick Reply: Gearhead Automotive tunes...WOW