6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Gearhead Automotive tunes...WOW

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:24 PM
buckshot047
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gearhead Automotive tunes...WOW

finally ponied up and bought three of Matts tunes...after getting no customer support from Spartan with the issues.....all I can say is wow...tunes are so much smoother shifting and alot more seat of the panst power feel.....great guy to deal with awesome with calling back...pleasure doing buisness with him...highly recommended!....now a few observations...truck idles so much smoother with these tunes? why would that be and i noticed the turbo whislte at idle is down alot...no biggy just noticed it....highe end spit and sputter is gone truck just flat *** hauls the mail now.......plugged the EGR back in after being unplugged for a couple years do I need to do anything to it?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts
+1 for me also!

I have about 70 miles on his SRL for non studded truck and all I can say is HELL YES! I totally had to relearn on driving my truck since the throttle application for power delivery is so much better than any canned tune I have ever run. The EGT's are maintained at a safe level....and if they exceed what I want, I just let off. I highly recommend to anyone looking for a set of custom tunes that is well worth the money.

...like the OP stated...Matt called me his home at 10pm his time, since I'd sent him emails while he was out of town....he could have shined me on but HE DIDN'T....he called me first chance he got and within 12 hours I had my tunes.

Awesome service

Old 04-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matt's tune's are GREAT and his service is awesome.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Have to agree. Just got my tunes from Matt last week and holy cow! It's amazing how much these trucks wake up just with tuning. Scared the crap out of my 12 yr old son today as I pulled out into traffic and nailed it at about 20 mph. Didn't give my son advance warning. Truck fish tailed just a little and it was like it was shot out of a cannon. He asked me not to do it again. It's only the second time I've gone WOT.

I need to data log a couple passes to see where my parameters are at. I glanced down at my Insight and it was flashing an EGT over my upper threshold (1300) but I didn't catch the value before I let off. Overall, shifting is great, power delivery is smooth, and there is no turbo lag. It's like driving a gasser!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:42 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I switched to his tunes about a month ago. I am running his SRL++ tune and LOVE IT!

I agree to all the above, great customer service, awesome smooth running tunes, and better priced than most.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 295 Likes on 153 Posts
I may become a 6.0 owner before too long and am interested in some tunes for non-studded trucks. Aside from the power, the next million dollar question is: what are you guys averaging?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:32 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
1300 isnt bad for egt's. i run matts tune and top out arounf 1400. 1600 is your danger point. some say different but you will only hit 1400 around 85mph and by then your getting close to shuttin it down anyways. at 1300 your fine dont worry!!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:33 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
I let off at 1250....I know I can push it but I really don't wanto. I guess that is why I am non studded and still have been running tunes for 5 years. Matt explained that it takes approximately 40 miles of driving for the program to acclamate to the vehicle. I jumped on the freeway today and romped on it....my wife was expecting really hard shifts (like my other previous tunes) and she commented how awesome it shifted. Even the split tails love MATT's tunes......

Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Rob.D
Elder User
Can he tune the Spartan Phalanx?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Thanks for the info RD. Once I data log a couple passes, I'll let you guys know what I'm seeing. I've got a couple data log files with the stock tune so I have a baseline to compare with. May take me a few days before I get a chance to get the data.

TD: I can't answer your question as I haven't had the tune long enough to know where my mileage is at right now. Hopefully, someone can chime in that's had the tune for a while.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdunagan
1300 isnt bad for egt's. i run matts tune and top out arounf 1400. 1600 is your danger point. some say different but you will only hit 1400 around 85mph and by then your getting close to shuttin it down anyways. at 1300 your fine dont worry!!
1600!! Ive never seen my truck go past 1100, that was with the throttle slammed and towing 11k.

I'm interested in looking at tunes for my truck too, are these tunes good for non-studded trucks?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by lakewood
1600!! Ive never seen my truck go past 1100, that was with the throttle slammed and towing 11k.

I'm interested in looking at tunes for my truck too, are these tunes good for non-studded trucks?
First, is your EGT probe pre or post turbo? My probe is pre turbo and with the stock tuning, I didn't go much over 1100 degrees at WOT.

Second, Matt's SRL and Unlimited Tow tunes are supposed to be good for non-studded trucks. His 8K Tow tune is supposed to be good to 8K towed weight on an unstudded truck and unlimited for a studded truck. However, as with anything that changes stock parameters it's caveat emptor. I've heard of stock trucks having problems with blown head gaskets. I waited until mine was out of warranty and had 96k miles on the odometer before taking the plunge. I also made sure I had the proper gauges, fuel pressure was good, and had an upgraded exhaust before messing with the tuning. I also understand the concept of "pay to play." If I do happen to lift a head with the tune, I'm ready to pay for the consequences. I won't go blaming Ford/Navistar or the tuner. I'll chaulk it up to experience and keep on moving forward.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
powerstroke_wannabee-"I also made sure I had the proper gauges, fuel pressure was good, and had an upgraded exhaust before messing with the tuning."

That is the key...well said

Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
However, as with anything that changes stock parameters it's caveat emptor. I've heard of stock trucks having problems with blown head gaskets. I waited until mine was out of warranty and had 96k miles on the odometer before taking the plunge. I also made sure I had the proper gauges, fuel pressure was good, and had an upgraded exhaust before messing with the tuning. I also understand the concept of "pay to play." If I do happen to lift a head with the tune, I'm ready to pay for the consequences. I won't go blaming Ford/Navistar or the tuner. I'll chaulk it up to experience and keep on moving forward.
Anyone thinking about getting a tuner should read the above post.

May you enjoy many trouble-free miles, PS wannabe. You got it right!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
im pre turbo. honestly i dont see the point in post turbo by then you've prob toasted the turbo. and i didnt say i saw 1600 im just saying thats my danger point. ive talked to several people and thats where theres is set to. i dont go much over 1400 but remember im a dually with 4:10 gears so it takes more fuel to get me moving just as fast which = higher egts

Quick Reply: Gearhead Automotive tunes...WOW