Adding steering wheel buttons - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Adding steering wheel buttons

Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Senior User

Menghi08LT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Adding steering wheel buttons

This is probably a strange request but I did just get a 2011 F250 XL. The SYNC and audio controls on the steering wheel was an available option, but my truck does not have it. I didn't ask for it to be required in the vehicle search, just one of those "if it has it, awesome" things. I am looking to add the buttons to control the radio and MAYBE SYNC for the bluetooth feature if this is possible. I know to add SYNC I need a radio that's ready for it, which mine is, and a microphone somewhere and all of that so that's not to be done until a later date. My old F150 had the radio controls on the wheel and I miss that.

Does anyone know if I can add the radio controls on the wheel? And maybe SYNC without needing to add a Parrot device for bluetooth? Or am I SOL on both?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Elder User

smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes, you can add the steering wheel controls, the harness is already there (at least it is on earlier models).

Does your truck already have SYNC? If not, you will need to acquire the stereo that supports it or go 3rd party to use bluetooth. I went with a 3rd party on mine, Mic installs up by the rearview mirror, audio comes through the speakers and caller ID appears on the stereo display.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Senior User

Menghi08LT is starting off with a positive reputation.
My radio has the phone button on it and whenever pressed it says "No Phone". So I'm guessing that it's ready for it... the one I had pulled out of my F150 when I did an OEM Nav swap was similar, just the fact that was a 6CD and mine's only single MP3. My truck doesn't have the microphone in it though, I'd have to try to find an OEM setup out of a wrecked truck at a pick-n-pull. I know with the Parrot system it comes with a module thing and you have to buy the vehicle-specific harness. My least concern is the phone, I could live without that for a while... I miss being able to do the radio through it. I actually keep reaching for the buttons, and I've had the truck a month

Would this require pulling the airbag? I'm not going to do it right away, I probably would have the dealer do it. If it involves that much work I don't want to touch it in case I set the airbag off.

My first test is coming up tonight... I may need to get a set of dedicated snow tires or commercial snow traction tires. We're set to get snow and I have no idea how the stock tires are...
Old 05-05-2011, 07:06 PM
New User

Dave2590 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Steering wheel controls

Let me know if you find a solution. I have a 2011 f350 and the same radio setup as yours. Im trying to do the same thing. I got the control for the steering wheel and mounted it. There doesn't seem to be a wiring harness in the wheel though. I hope the clock spring doesn't have to be replaced. Removing the air bag is very simple so dont let it scare you. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
If it is anything like the 2008s, you will have to rob a harness out of a steering wheel that already has it, as the wiring harnesses are not sold separately from the steering wheels.

Once that is all done, if you stereo head unit was programmed to not have the steering wheel controls, you will either have to find a way to reprogram your head unit for the equipment you've added, or find a head unit that came with the setup you want.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 PM
New User

fastwheeler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Were you able to add the steering wheel controls? Just curious as I have the same setup as you and would like to do the same. Didn't know if I could just get the switch and mount it in the wheel, or if I would have to find a replacement steering wheel. (as well as reprogram the HU, or use an aftermarket one)

Rick
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 AM
New User

Dave2590 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was able to install the steering wheel control, had to solder to the switch since the harness was impossible to get. Apparently there is software that has to be loaded into the radio to get it to work. I haven't approached a dealer yet for that task.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 PM
New User

cdemoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2590 View Post
I was able to install the steering wheel control, had to solder to the switch since the harness was impossible to get. Apparently there is software that has to be loaded into the radio to get it to work. I haven't approached a dealer yet for that task.
Just wondering if you had this all done yet and what's all involved? Doing the same to my 12 superduty thanks.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:58 AM
New User

AggieFireEMS is starting off with a positive reputation.
UPDATES

I have a 2012. It has the radio with the phone on it also. I purchased a nice steering wheel with the radio controls.
Do I just swap them out?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:42 AM
New User

scsowi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieFireEMS View Post
I have a 2012. It has the radio with the phone on it also. I purchased a nice steering wheel with the radio controls.
Do I just swap them out?
Just Curious did you ever figure it out or get it to work. i bought a wheel and installed it but i have not been able to get it to work. the lights in the switches light up when the headlights come on but i have been unsuccesful at finding anyone to help me get it completed and working.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Senior User

Gints is starting off with a positive reputation.
Look back in 2014 was a good tread about it. I did mine back then and everything works like charm.