6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Which Oil Filter You Using ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
mikebob
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcraft on my second going to third. You can't go wrong if you follow the book.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
I just went on the Pure Power site. Interesting reading. Will have to do more reading there. One thing I didn't care for, is they say their filters clean down to -1 micron. Well, you can't have a negative number as your specification. Though you can have a number one, or less than a one.
Perhaps they meant to say it filters down to 1 micron? I know the Amsoil branded bypass filters go down to .1 microns particle size, but they become less efficient at that level. But what the Pure Power site is NOT stating, is if that posted specification really was meant to say 1 micron, then what percentage of 1 micron particles does it remove?
By not saying anything, they are implying that it removes 100% of 1 micron-sized dirt particles - which is very unlikely.
Yet those kind of numbers are readily available on the Amsoil website, and are very important. So if the PP filters only trap 1% of 1 micron-sized dirt particles, then that's not very good. But so far I see nothing stating these necessary efficiency ratings, and certainly a -1 figure is not correct/possible. And if the filters were a 100% efficient at 1 micron, that would be amazing.
I have successfully used the Amsoil stuff since 1986, so I know what I'm getting with them, and my oil analysis backs up what I think I know about their products.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Yea I believe it is 1 micron not -1 Call Kelly directly and speak to him - several people have mentioned that they are going to call and so far no one has been interested enough to do so - Speculation is just that - If you want some facts and more info - call Kelly Tidwell...

Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Originally Posted by Crazy001
There certainly has been. I still have to call that guy! Is he around on the weekends?
So has anyone made a phone call yet???

Old 03-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER
So has anyone made a phone call yet???
Not yet. Busy week at work because I'll be at a conference on Friday and Saturday. I really hope to do it soon.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Von-Overkill
Senior User
I am currently on vacation in Sedona, so someone else will have to be the first to call these people. Incidentally, got only 15 MPG averaging mostly 80 MPH over a 6 hour drive. Had four-wheel-drive engaged the first hour of the trip...snow!
Then slowed it down in Arizona, and got 22 MPG averaging about 45 MPH. That's with Winter fuel obviously.
Every time I go on vacation, I get the change oil now message! But I am doing an analysis instead. Should know results in next few weeks. I may post them. At 16K miles at the moment.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Hey guys,

Paul(pbruckne) asked me to post this oil filter comparison for everyone's information. I tried to post it earlier but for some reason the server wasn't accepting attachments that large. Here it is:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...Comparison.pdf

Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 AM
jim48
Elder User
Hey, I value your opinion. I started the thread. I had no idea I was opening a discussion that would go so far as to include the sophistacated filtration systems that some of you guys are using. However I have found that like so many other issues concerning our trucks, a lot of you guys are VERY knowledgeable about these engines. All this discussion has made me think about engine filters as more than something you so casually install and forget. Very good information has been posted here, thanks to all.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:48 AM
pbruckne
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My intent was to educate, period! If you look at the presentation detail, there are a couple filters that may have equal or better filtration (Wix, Pro-Tec, NAPA gold) than Motorcraft, number of pleats, filter media length, equal sealing design/components/specs., etc.

This was in no way to promote Motorcraft, but rather to provide insight into filter design and let the customer make an informed decision. If you buy Motorcraft, great, but if you see another filter and prefer that brand or price, you should know what you're getting. There are good filters and there are junk filters that are mass produced.

The presentation was off-the-shelf, which I believe is also posted on the Motorcraft website. I saw this thread and asked our filter engineers if they had anything I could post that might be useful.

-Paul

Originally Posted by GMUGNIER
Well It's pretty obvious that Ford, and Motorcraft want to keep everyone in the dark about other filters. I noticed that they were selective about the brands, and only used the most commonly available filters. Clearly the superior product is not Motorcraft - There is a vastly superior filter with better filtering, and higher flow available, But I am not supposed to voice my opinion about my preferred brand. I thought this thread was titled "Which Oil Filter You Using" Which means that anyone with an opinion was supposed to join in and post information as it relates to this thread title. So are we to agree just because someone at FORD that has biased information shows us a pretty chart?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
jim48
Elder User
Thanks Paul. I started this thread just to find out what other guys were using. It has been quite informative. I didn't even know these filtration systems existed. And I sure didn't want to start people getting testy over the issue. I guess some of that rhetoric is inevitable.

On a different note: I have chatted with you before about the chassis cab version of the 6.7 engine that us owners have. You said you might be able to get more info on the engines' differences. Were you able to do that. If so I wish you could post them in a new thread for us CC owners. Or you could always PM me. I know the CC owners are a minority here. But we could benefit from any information specific to our engine you could offer. Thanks..

Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Okay, I just cleaned things up again.

As a reminder everyone is welcome to express their opinions here, but we all have to abide with the FTE Guidelines

If anyone has any questions or issues please send myself or an administrator a PM. I will not discuss this further in an open forum.

Thanks everyone!