Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pilot Bearing or bushing???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pilot Bearing or bushing???

I ordered my new clutch yesterday. The SB 450 HP one...That puppy set me back about a grand.My wife and I just had the ''It would be cheaper to buy a new truck arguement!! .Anyway, it comes with the Kevlar pilot bushing and I've read not so great things about those so I was going to go with the ''repair'' bearing from Dieselsite but he doesn't sell them anymore. So what should I do? Go with the Kevlar bushing or a stock bearing? OR does anyone know where I can get the same kit that Bob used to sell. As always, many thanks!

Duncan

Old 03-02-2011, 08:09 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Doesn't sell them anymore? Now I wish I would have ordered one to put on the shelf. Did you call or email Bob and see if he could tell you where else one might be available?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by F350-6
Doesn't sell them anymore? Now I wish I would have ordered one to put on the shelf. Did you call or email Bob and see if he could tell you where else one might be available?
I spoke with him earlier this evening and he said that the kit is available from any transmission supply house. I have yet to find it.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:23 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
What have read/heard about the Kevlar bushing, I was looking at using one in stroker motor/6spd set up in one of my mustangs and heard it was better than a bearing. Sorry for the hijack.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:55 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Call Brian at bts he just sent Jason home with one. I know the part number but I don't wanna advertise it if Brian is selling them

Old 03-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
What have read/heard about the Kevlar bushing, I was looking at using one in stroker motor/6spd set up in one of my mustangs and heard it was better than a bearing. Sorry for the hijack.
It's not the end all be all of input shaft support let's put it that way. I am stupid enough to put another one in my truck though.

I ws planning on getting a setup from Bob for the next overhaul scheduled at 325k to 350k miles. Would like to see a source for what Bob sold.

Here's my old and new. Old one had over a hundred thousand on it.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:00 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I dunno if what Brian gave me has been longevity tested - but it has hardened races and sealed ball bearings and is cheeeeeep.

I think best 'known' solution is machine flywheel for 6.0 pilot. I think thats what MW Transmission recommends...

Ultimately, input bearing wear and damage to input shaft from failed POS stock pilot create irreversable damage. I think the kevlar is better than stock, at least it fails slowly - stock is 100% or FUBAR.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot

Here's a pic.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Thanks Andy, that sure has alot of wear.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
No apology needed for thread hi jacking here!!!

I've read not so great things about the kevlar bushings...

Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I dunno if what Brian gave me has been longevity tested - but it has hardened races and sealed ball bearings and is cheeeeeep.

I think best 'known' solution is machine flywheel for 6.0 pilot. I think thats what MW Transmission recommends...

Ultimately, input bearing wear and damage to input shaft from failed POS stock pilot create irreversable damage. I think the kevlar is better than stock, at least it fails slowly - stock is 100% or FUBAR.

My new clutch arrived today...The kevlar bushing is already installed.

Is it possible to install the 6.0 bushing on our input shaft? I have access to a machine shop....(my new part time job) Will the input shaft need to be bushed? Or is it the same size between the 6.0 and 7.3.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jetdoc
My new clutch arrived today...The kevlar bushing is already installed.

Is it possible to install the 6.0 bushing on our input shaft? I have access to a machine shop....(my new part time job) Will the input shaft need to be bushed? Or is it the same size between the 6.0 and 7.3.
the 7.3 pilot is 5/8 in, the 6.0 is 1 in.
I'm not a fan of the kevlar set up, I only got about 50K out of mine.

Jason posted a pic of one, is that the BTS pilot bearing for the 7.3? if so it looks alot like the 6.0 set up I have now. if it fits, I'd go that way. too bad Bob's not offering the repair kit anymore. i alwys liked that set up for a cheep fix.

Just looked at the link you posted. looks very similar to the one Bob used to have. I did notice it had a seal around where the input goes into the needle bearing. that in itself would be a improvement

Barney

Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by bfife

Jason posted a pic of one, is that the BTS pilot bearing for the 7.3? if so it looks alot like the 6.0 set up I have now. if it fits, I'd go that way. too bad Bob's not offering the repair kit anymore. i alwys liked that set up for a cheep fix.

Just looked at the link you posted. looks very similar to the one Bob used to have. I did notice it had a seal around where the input goes into the needle bearing. that in itself would be a improvement

Barney
That ebay kit is twice the price of what Bob sold though...I'm hoping to do the clutch swap next weekend so I'm going to use this week to get all the parts. As long as the clutch holds out.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bfife

Jason posted a pic of one, is that the BTS pilot bearing for the 7.3?
It is the same dimensions as 7.3 pilot - but from a different application. Brian did say he likes to put bearing in freezer and heat up flywheel so bearing will 'drop in' as opposed to pressing it in.

Barney, was that 50k on your new or old trans? I'm convinced a loose input shaft bearing is the reason for pilot bearing failures.

Quick Reply: Pilot Bearing or bushing???