1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

GPS FOR MY 51

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:25 PM
JRMack
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as a side note, i have used the navigation app on my phone on several road trips. Obviously you have to have a phone that will support this.
It seems to a good job. Maybe not as involved as some of whats been mentioned all ready. But for only using mine occasionally, i never could justify buying a unit specifically designed for that purpose. I have to pay a small fee for a months worth of usage ($5-$10), but i can turn it off when i don't need it. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:42 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I too wanted a NAV unit and did not want to mess around with the portable models. I wanted a combination NAV/Stereo/Video setup. I ended up buying a Kenwood DNX-9960 that has a Garmin NAV system built in. Here is the rough installation in the dash of my 56...

Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2011, 11:38 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SunDown
...and logs your top speed.
Mine has that too, but it can get you in trouble trying to beat what I like to call my "high score."

Old 03-03-2011, 09:03 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
I got a Tom Tom refurbished from Walmart.com for $59. My son uses it and he thinks it is as good as any. I have a Magellan and it seems to work ok for me. I have to turn down the volume to keep that old lady from getting on my old man nerves. I tried a Garmin and I also liked it. None of them had the destination of the half drunk chicks, but they shouldn't be to hard to locate.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 PM
agronomistont
Junior User
just a quick note when you buy go to the nearest coffe shop or person you dont like and use that as your homeaddress. Thiefs like to use these things to get to your house. one of the guys at work just lost his and his garage door opener and the keys to his front door. Luckly he beat the thief home to change th code for his garage door opener and change the locks on his doors.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 PM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i have 2 tom tom's one in the '03 and one on the HD. Both work great and make travelling a breeze. Exp. on the hd because you never know what side road into the middle of nowhere i'll wander off on when it's a nice day! I bought a pyle stereo with the screen that comes out. not sure what flavor the gps software is on it but works good.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:28 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
I did alot of research prior to buying a GPS for the wife at christmas and have used Garmins at work for years and I went with a Tom Tom for her (I steal it sometimes). The reason was for the price it had more features namely lifetime map and traffic updates. To get the same features in a Garmin would have been 80.00 to 100.00 dollars more. It might seem like not a big deal to have the updates but I can tell you we are always going out to help people who have followed their outdated or just plain wrong GPS and now are some place they should not be in a car that shouldn't be there. Beside here in the mountains they have been redoing the freeway, changing ramps, re-naming exits and the like so a unit from last year might be all wrong this year.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:16 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
The only thing i know about a GPS is it tells you how to get were you want to go from were you are at . SO that being said !! What would be a good one to put in my 51 for my road trip across AMERICA. I want one i can stick on the glass or dash and when i don't want it there i can put it in the glovebox.
I drove my 49 cross country long before GPS. I really didn't need a GPS for that trip since I did cross county on I80 in 3 days. I recommend keeping a daily log of your trip. I wish that I had kept a log. Willard, my 49, was originally chrome yellow, similar to your trucks color. There is a picture in my gallery of starting out on that trip with Willard flat towing a 31 Model A Vicky.

The shape of the F-1 dash is not going to be GPS friendly. I would look for a mount to stick on the windshield. I have a Garmin Nuvi that is the hands free model which I really like.
Have a great trip!