1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

A few questions about my '01 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 PM
QHgirl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions about my '01 F-150

To start, I'd like to say that I'm really new at trying to work on my truck myself. Mostly I'd like to figure out what is wrong with it before I take it in and get taken for a ride by some mechanic that sees a female and thinks I'll spend crazy amounts of money on repairs I don't need. Did that last year and am quite sick of it.

I've looked around in the FAQ's and have found a couple answers already, and since many here seem to be very knowledgeable about these things, figured I'd ask.

A couple issues I didn't see the answers to:

First, when I turn the wheel to the right almost as far as it will go there is a loud thud. It almost sounds like something is going to fall off and has made me think I've hit something a couple times, it's that loud, and the whole truck shudders.

Next, this is a new thing, usually happening when I've just started the truck and am backing out of a parking spot, or just getting ready to drive off. The RPM's will start to go up and down and the whole truck rocks back and forth. It's done this about 6 times now and just started about a month ago.

Last (for now), the engine oil light occasionally comes on and the dial drops all the way down to L. I checked the oil today and just got it changed recently by my Ford dealership, so I know the oil level isn't low. Sometimes when this happens the temperature gauge also drops all the way down to C, but not always. The oil gauge has done this ever since I bought the truck three years ago.

The truck itself is a 2001 4x4 4.6L

Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the site!

How many miles do you have on it?
1) Is your truck 2wd or a 4X4?
2) Have you had the codes read? It could be the IAC or a vacuum issue.
3) I would have the oil pressure checked.

It's great to have you here and there are a lot folks who can help you out and keep your truck running.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 PM
QHgirl
New User
I have 111,000+ miles, it's a 4X4, I can get the codes read at Autozone or the like, right? I know they'll do a free read, but the repair shops assure me that that one only gives a general code and the way to find the real problem is to spend $45 and get it done there. As for the oil pressure, I'll go in to the Ford Dealership and see if they'll check it for me, unless you guys have a better suggestion for a place to get that done.

Thanks for welcome and the help so far!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
93f250tn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QHgirl
I have 111,000+ miles, it's a 4X4, I can get the codes read at Autozone or the like, right? I know they'll do a free read, but the repair shops assure me that that one only gives a general code and the way to find the real problem is to spend $45 and get it done there. As for the oil pressure, I'll go in to the Ford Dealership and see if they'll check it for me, unless you guys have a better suggestion for a place to get that done.

Thanks for welcome and the help so far!
+1 on taking it to a local parts store and getting codes ran (Go to Oreilly auto parts if you can, from my experience Autozone hires people that have no experience on cars/trucks and there parts are cheap Chinese junk. Oreillys usually has people that know quite a bit on vehicles and will even look at all your problems and also mybe able to tell you whats wrong and recommend what you should do and if you could do it yourself. Just a example i went in there with my battery light on, took it to a shop and they said i need a new alternator, and solenoid, took it to Oreillys guy came out looked at it, showed me a wire that has severely frayed, showed me how to fix it and problem was fixed. Just figured i would give you my $.02) I defiantly agree on getting the oil pressure checked i had it done and i believe it was not to expensive i want to say $75 bucks or so. As far as shops go, ask your friends where they take theres and how good of a job they did and how there customer service is. Or even check Google usually they will have a rating. Unfortunly in todays world most shops main objective is to rip you off so they can make more money...
Goodluck on the truck! hopefully all gos well!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Welcome to the site.

Get the codes read for free if you can. Wright them down and post them here. We wont charge you 45 bucks to help you figure out what the problem is...lol
The codes are online but every code you get doesn't necessarily mean that's the problem.
In other words, you could have multiple codes that would lead to a certain other problem .
Ford DTC Codes

Old 03-17-2011, 01:19 PM
QHgirl
New User
Just wanted to update you guys on my truck.

Figured out what was making the loud noise when I turned the wheel to the right. Last November I got the idler arm replaced at a Firestone. Turns out the install wasn't done properly and the arm was loose! I got lucky and nothing else was damaged since I'd been driving around with it like that for months. I didn't find it sooner myself because, even though I had gotten under the truck and checked the idler arm myself, I hadn't been able to shake it. A friend from work found it for me though, and I took it back to Firestone and got it taken care of for free.

Still have the other issues though. Figured out that I have a faulty instrument panel, but I'll just deal with that for now, since it's not anything life threatening.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I'll have The Beast like new before too long!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:52 PM
whitefordexplorer
Tuned
Im extremely happy to see a female not afraid to get dirty and fix her own truck! And furthermore, since you have a general idea of how to fix it, id like to know if your intermitent rough idle and shudder only happens when cold, or if its random.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:23 PM
QHgirl
New User
The rough idling happens with a cold engine.

One thing I've found recently...if I'm going to fix it myself, I need to get more tools!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:35 PM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
Don't feel bad, I've been fixing my trucks for years and I still "need more tools". ha ha !

Start with standard tools like 3/8" socket set, screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, etc. Specialty tools can be expensive and you can rent them for a day or two at most auto parts stores.

Hang in there, you're doing great.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
whitefordexplorer
Tuned
sounds like the rough idle thing may be a fuel issue. your fuel system may not be pressurising fast enough during cold start. hope this points you in the right direction.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
laciclemens
New User
Originally Posted by QHgirl
The rough idling happens with a cold engine.

One thing I've found recently...if I'm going to fix it myself, I need to get more tools!
i love this! i usually go to my in laws and steal his warm shop for my truck to work on as well. only down side to being a truck owner and an average sized female is i need a step ladder to get in it! great to see other women who arent afraid to get down and dirty to save money on repair bills