6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Truck Guns?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt93
I carry wherever I please and never have a problem with LEO's for some reason........
And why would that be?

I'd love to be able to carry my Springfield XD .40 cal around with me, but my state doesn't allow that yet. I suspect this will change in the near future though.

When it does I'll likely invest in a Walther PPS 9mm or something along those lines. I don't like .45s or .380s, obviously for different reasons.

Originally Posted by djjoshuad
I know a lot of us "big truck" guys
Not to drag this off-topic, but these aren't anywhere approaching "big" trucks...

Old 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the law is pretty cool around these parts I have been pulled over several times in utah and wyoming with rifles right next to my right leg pointing up with bolts open, and most of the time have never even been questioned about it.

the only thing I have been asked is, is it loaded, I think law enforcement for the most part uses alot of common sense they can tell right off if you are a trouble maker, I hope that as time goes by political correctness doesn't further erode an officers ability to use that.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy

the only thing I have been asked is, is it loaded,
same here.
By the way - what's an empty/unloaded gun?

A Club!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Crazy001
And why would that be?..
SGT is a LEO...

Old 02-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
I carry the Springfield XD .40 S&W in the sub-compact (3”) version. The reason I shoot the .40 over a 9mm is it has more stopping power and with my round less penetration than the 9mm. The 9mm smaller and faster projectile that will give you a higher probability of a “pass through”. You are 100% responsible for your bullet and a fatality on a innocent bystander (or family member) is a really bad thing. The .45 round has the best stopping power but the weapons are larger and less concealable. There’s always a trade-off.

My carry weapon has tritium sites (night sights) and a trigger job done to it. I shoot the Core Bond 135g JHP as my self defense round. It has been documented that this round has almost as high % of one shot kills than and less penetration than the .45 with which IMHO makes is the best overall round. I carry inside waste band with a Kydex holster. Note: Any modifications (trigger job) you make to a weapon will be used against you in a shooting as the defense attorney will accuse you of a pre-meditated crime. More importantly, DO NOT under any circumstances use "re-loads" as the opposing attorney will crucify you on the pre-meditated thing again. However, I thoroughly believe “it’s better to be judged by a Jury of Your Pears than carried by 6 of your friends.”

Back to re-loads, it’s OK to shoot this ammunition but just don’t use it in a self-defense situation. It is also pretty “dicey” if you actually carry an extra ammo clip on your person as this could also be construed as pre-meditation. Most importantly, I also practice shooting (and clearing) the weapon with each hand. Why? The left hand shot minimizes your own exposure in 50 % of the situations – think about it.

As far as a truck gun, I probably will mount my .45 ACP (full size) and Kydex holster inside the center console where it can ride comfortably without banging around while being readily accessible in case of a carjacking, etc. It is also a good back up just in case I leave my carry gun at home by accident. The pocket just to the right of the driver’s knee would also be a good place to keep it but it isn’t concealed and unless you secure it somehow it could bounce out in an extreme situation. Under the seat in a small zippered case(or between the seat and console) may also be a good spot but that also has some drawbacks in case of an immediate go to gun situation.

I personally am NOT a fan of the 1911 for a carry gun. I like them and own many of them but a 1911 IMHO is almost impossible to clear a “stove pipe” jam or the dreaded double feed jam. Having to drop the magazine, clear the weapon, re-install the magazine and rack a new round in the chamber all with one hand is almost impossible. Compound that if your good hand/arm is incapacitated.

I have attached 2 links that might be of interest. The first is a gentleman without arms operating his person self defense weapon. The second link backs up my thoughts on personal self-defense ammunition.

YouTube - Michael shoots his .45 with his feet

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 PM
farmerdave
Senior User
A little 32cal firestorm is in the console, or in my soft sided lunch cooler when I'm spending long days in a tractor. My A.R. 15 stays under the rear seat unless we have a real bad hog situation. If that's the case I keep it at the ready, on the floor, in the back with a jacket covering it. I keep the Reminton 870 shotgun in the same place during bird season. Sometimes I leave it bouncing around the bed of the truck, and it also doubles as a boat paddle. -I kid (about the 870).

I was taught in my conceal and carry class- that when the officer gets about to my tailgate (after being pulled over) yell out: "I'm a conceal and carry license holder" while I hold my licenses out the window. I did that last year, and the trooper just about dropped his clipboard laughing.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
good way to get out of a speeding ticket!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 PM
alstang1
Junior User
TEXAS CHL holder
Springfield XD .45 by my right ankle
Sig Mosquito .22 center console
Tarus hammerless snubnose .38 drivers side door
AR 6.8 collapsable on the rear seat.

I am in deep south Texas weekly. For those of you not aware, Falfurrias the number 1 drug running checkpoint in the nation. Zapata Tx is where the jetskier was murdered (alleged = no body found) a few months ago. I see border patrol and killer whales (dps) searching vehicles about every 4 miles up to 100 miles away from the Rio Grand. Falfurias checkpoint year to date poundage of siezed drugs as of the January 17th, ( when I took a pic of the sign ) was 74,473 lbs and 1443 undocumented persons. I need all the protection I can get.

Al

Old 02-16-2011, 12:12 AM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hah this is so far out of my league... I literally have no idea what any of you are talking about, lol!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 AM
farmerdave
Senior User
Alstang 1... Your speaking my language. Do you ever make it to Corpus? If you do, honk when you pass by. I farm just out of town. On the back road to Mexico.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:36 AM
ctownson
Senior User
S&W 357 Model 686 Plus in the console, S&W 38 airweight in my pocket. The CWP law in SC is pretty good and I have never had a problem carrying and/or being stopped. In our CWP class we we taught to just keep our hands on the wheel and let an officer know that you have a CWP and a firearm is in the vehicle if stopped.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 AM
ltatkinson
Senior User
Here in Mi you have to keep it out of reach of anyone else in the vehicle. Atleast thats my understanding of how its written. So my Walther P99 40 stays in the holster and in the door pocket. Easy to get to and stays in there good no rattles. Yes I have a CCW.

Tim

Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Averill7
Senior User
Glock .40 - Only for protection from awful people and large deadly game. Never used

Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
wow, lots of responses

This weekend I'm going to hit the gun show in search of a truck holster and possibly a truck gun. I'm also trying to work a deal on a Sig P226, so the beretta may become my truck gun until I find something cheaper.

As for ammo, I've always been a fan of 9mm for it's cheap target practice and the large number of choices in ammo. I can buy a loose pack of 100 Winchester 9mm Luger @ wally world for $20 any day of the week. It's kinda dirty ammo, but it has *never* jammed in any of my guns, and I've shot a few thousand rounds of it. For personal defense, there are a ton of great options. I'll spend the money for the good stuff there... I mean, I'm not shooting it often (hopefully never), and when/if I ever need to I want it to work. without a doubt.

I've been looking at a couple .45 cal pistols too... but the ammo is so much more expensive that I just don't know if the extra stopping power is worth it. I'm a pretty good shot - good aim is better than stopping power any day

I really dig hearing all the feedback. keep it coming!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Averill7
Senior User
What is your hwy mileage with that 35 footer? How heavy is it? What speeds do you maintain? I like 65 - 70mph.

Quick Reply: Truck Guns?