General Automotive Discussion

Ding! Ding! Ding! Anyone know how to shut it up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 PM
FloridaFordGirl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ding! Ding! Ding! Anyone know how to shut it up?

I can stand at the back of my 11 acres and hear the annoying sound of the door dinger on the truck. It is distractingly loud and as long as the door is open, it's going off. This is with or without the truck key in the ignition.

Because I like to have the doors open when I clean the truck (funny me), can someone please tell me how to get access to the source of the noise so I can remove it and flatten it with a hammer and bury it in the pasture?

I looked in the owners manual I have. I dont know if a page is missing or what but damned if I can find anything about it. Guess they just LOVE torturing us with it?

I dont care that it tells me my lights are on. I don't have that issue. I just want that infernal bong bong bong bong bong bong destroyed.

Please help me. My sanity will thank you.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Ford Big Rig
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know if it work for your model truck, but you can try this..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-removal.html

Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you take the key all the way out the chime should stop. It may be that they key sensor is shorted.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Big Rig
I dont know if it work for your model truck, but you can try this..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-removal.html
That's for older trucks. Can't do that starting in 1997 since the chime is now internal to the GEM module.

Depending on the circumstances, this thread might do the trick: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ime-issue.html

Now, if you want the door open, the ignition on (playing radio, perhaps), then you have to cheat or defeat the door latch switch. I usually use a screwdriver to close the latch, then use it again to open the latch when I'm finished. You might also consider installing a switch to intercept the door ajar switch input.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:37 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This is my solution to the door open/key in chime.
I have done this to all my Fords.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Remove the cylinder by turning the key to the on/run position.
Insert a probe from the underside of the column to press up on the button you see at the lower left of the cylinder in the picture.
Pull the cylinder out of the column.
Tape the metal strip you will find where the tape is in the pic.

I know you say that it chimes whether or not the key is in, but give it a try.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:16 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Another way would be to take a flat piece of metal and either screw it in or rivet it near the door switch. Slide it over to keep the switch in the closed position.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by GLR
Another way would be to take a flat piece of metal and either screw it in or rivet it near the door switch. Slide it over to keep the switch in the closed position.
The door ajar switch is attached to the door's latch. You're confusing it with the switch on the A-pillar that turns on the interior lights.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
The dinger is in your GEM Module. You could remove the GEM Module, and disable it. I think with the pics I'm going to show here, my idea would or should work.

This first pic is what your GEM Module might look like.

Here is a GEM Module out of a 99 Taurus. It's shaped a little different, but more or less does the same thing.

This next pic is the board that is inside. Do you see the black circle that says "TMX-06"? That is the dinger.

The next pic is the other side of the board. I have a black hexagon around the power lines to the dinger. The black arrows are the two power lines. If someone was very careful they could cut part of one of those power wires, and the dinger would never work again. I would not try to remove the dinger, just disable it. An exacto knife would be a good tool for the job. I would make two cuts in one power line, and remove the section between the cuts.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Brittany8alex
New User
Thumbs up shorebirds answer is right for my 97' ford taurus i just tried it THANKYOU!!! :)

THANKYOU SHOREBIRD i also like to clean me car with my door open and sometimes smoking a ciggerette i like it open and white im loading or unloading car with thing i need or just want air and the ding ding ding ding ding ding ding dingding ding ding ding ding ding ding drive me totally insane thank you so much for the help
Originally Posted by shorebird
This is my solution to the door open/key in chime.
I have done this to all my Fords.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Remove the cylinder by turning the key to the on/run position.
Insert a probe from the underside of the column to press up on the button you see at the lower left of the cylinder in the picture.
Pull the cylinder out of the column.
Tape the metal strip you will find where the tape is in the pic.

I know you say that it chimes whether or not the key is in, but give it a try.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
You are most welcome Brittany.

AND Welcome to FTE!

BTW, How did Alex taste and was he tender or chewy?

Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Brittany8alex
New User
can some one tag this with chime and/door chime too???

because i registered with this site because i like this thread and more people would find it alot easier if it had those tags as well i was searching ford Taurus 97 door chime and went through about 25 links before i found this one lol and i looked for how to tag the thread with those and couldnt figure it out... or could you just tell me how to do a tag? thank you ;P
door
door chime
chime
ding ding ding
ford chime fuse
PHP Code:
chime 
Code:
chime
trying to figure out commands on here ahhhhh my head..... well a girl can try to figure this site out lol but not much point im sure i wont be on here unless i need more help with my POC ford taurus but actually idk that might end up being alot ........ LOL SHOREBIRD that was so quick thanks again and for getting back to me um ya i was born on the 8th of march and my favorite number is 8 and im brittany alexandra larson and my cats name is alex so i thought i was really clever when i came up with this screen name in like 2002 when i was like twelve lol cuz it sounds like i ate him kinda i thought it was and still do think its cute thank you for the warm welcome!!!!! <3
Originally Posted by shorebird
You are most welcome Brittany.

AND Welcome to FTE!

BTW, How did Alex taste and was he tender or chewy?
.... i edited this thats lame that those are not how you do tags... can you tell me how?? it took me forever to find this thread i want it to be easier on people with anoying chimes lol

Last edited by Brittany8alex; 02-12-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Brittany8alex
New User
so i geuss those were not ways to tag lol idk then how....

Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Brittany8alex
New User
also i found this like was very helpful with another option to the chime problem... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-removal.html

Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 AM
732t37
Elder User
Don't mean to be an ****, but I think it's funny there are 2 women in this thread who are both driven insane by the chime. I have noticed that repetitive noises annoy women much more than they do men.

I never minded the chime noise, in fact last month I installed a T-case in a Ford with the door open the whole time and it never bothered me.

Perhaps automakers should take this as a lesson when trying to increase sales to female drivers.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
If you notice one solution came from me.
I'm certainly NOT FEMALE.
I work for a collision center and along with the guys there we keep the keys out of the ignition because of the noise.
If you were to imply that they are feminine you would end up on your butt.
Maybe it's a NJ thing that you can ignore background noise.
The chime is tailored to be annoying so that you pull the keys.

Quick Reply: Ding! Ding! Ding! Anyone know how to shut it up?