6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Forgot to plug in, won't start, but it is 5 hours later.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
bkvanbek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgot to plug in, won't start, but it is 5 hours later.

I plug in my truck, but forgot to last night and it was 5 degrees fahrenheit this morning and would not start. Yesterday it started, after being plugged in, it was 10 degrees warmer, but died and started right up again. It has never done that before

Background, 115,000 miles. Maybe 1,000 mile on fuel filters and Rotella T 5w 40 synthetic. New batteries, alternator and serp belt.

Now I have had it plugged in for 5 hours, it turns over fast, pops after a couple seconds, then just turns over. I have tried cycling the key a few times; leaving the key on until I hear the end of, maybe, the fuel pump. The water in the fuel light stays on, but so do other lights, until it starts, should it?

What is going on?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Can you reach back and unplug your ICP? With it unplugged your PCM should set to default. This will test your ICP. If it's working or not. If it is not working, your truck should start. Just a thought.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 PM
bkvanbek
Senior User
What is the ICP and where is it?

I was going to drain the fuel from the fuel filter, but I am sure any water is frozen, right?
I checked there is no codes, but I have had trouble with a loose connection to the FICM, but not lately.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Check for water in the fuel pump out the brass drain plug on the fuel pump.

Could your fuel be gelling? Really shouldn't be with where you live, Their fuel should already be good down to those temps. But who knows. Do you treat your fuel?

FICM: might be loose again?

ICP on your model year is here:

Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 PM
bkvanbek
Senior User
I will go try to find the ICP. I called the last place a bought fuel, about 200 miles ago, no reported problems with their "winterized" fuel. I have not treated my fuel lately, but I did a couple months ago.

Will I be able to get water out, at 10 degrees? Won't it be frozen?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:14 PM
bkvanbek
Senior User
I can't get close to the ICP or see it.
It "pops" every time I try it, but won't start.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 PM
sethjamto
Senior User
No solution for you, but for most of this winter I have NOT plugged in my 6.0, and have had temps down to zero without starting issues here in Northern Ohio. She does start much easier and smoother initial idle when plugged in......you may have some gelling or water issues in the fuel that maybe froze in the filter(s) or lines....but just a guess.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
As amdriven2liv said - easy check would be the FICM connections and FICM voltage.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 AM
bkvanbek
Senior User
Still won't start, but it "popped" twice this morning, wish I could get it in somewhere warm, it is 6 below fahrenheit. I think, hope there is just water in the fuel line. I had it plugged in for 24 hours and a heater overnight, but it is just too cold.

It will be about 30 in a couple days, I put some diesel 911 in the tank. What else can I do? I checked FICM connects, don't know how to check the voltage of it. But I think it is too big of a coincidence that it won't start on the coldest morning for a couple weeks, and I forgot to plug it in.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
jayc3169
Senior User
Happened to me last winter. I was back home in Detroit, driving downtown at night (temp was 4 degrees) and she just shut off on me and wouldn't restart. Did the same thing yours is doing now. I was freakin because I though she blew a gasket. Had a buddy of mine check her out and it turned out that the fuel had gelled past the filter (top side) before the injectors. I put some anti-gel in the tank and in the filter housing. let it sit and she started right up. I can't remember the name of it, but its in a red bottle...! 911 something!? I think it was something like that.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Are you getting fuel flow to the secondary fuel filter?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
bkvanbek
Senior User
how can I check that?

Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Open the top of the secondary fuel filter on the top of the motor and see if you have liquid fuel in there.

My bet is a frozen fuel line. You could take a hair dryer and leave it on the top of the motor for a few hours to thaw things out. Just be careful not to burn anything sensitive.

Happened to me back in the 80's with a chebby. The mechanic said to get one of those blankets you put over the grill like this...

Cabela's: Winter/Summer Truck Grille Covers

I use it when it gets really cold here (but not as cold as you get!) It also helps the heater to warm up faster!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:11 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

If it is gel, plugging in for that long, the engine should be fairly warm and might be the reason it "popped". Fuel at the top was warmed enough to get some flow to injectors. The fuel from the pump however would probably still be gelled. Pull cap on top filter and see if there is any gel in there (as was suggested) and crank to see if fuel will even flow to the upper filter. Heck you could even through an old sleeping bag over the engine to help keep heat in there. But it wont help the lower fuel lines and such. Find the Power Service 911 and do as suggested above.

Pull the lower fuel filter. If it's gelled, it will be there.

Man, I hate doing this kind of stuff in those temps. I don't envy you at all. Stay warm!

FICM test link:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...procedure.html

p.s. keep an eye on your batteries! Might want to give them a charge. Even if you wait out this cold snap.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by smlford
Open the top of the secondary fuel filter on the top of the motor and see if you have liquid fuel in there.
Also, turn the key on (do not crank) and see if the fuel pump is delivering fuel.

Quick Reply: Forgot to plug in, won't start, but it is 5 hours later.