1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1968 Ford F-250 Project help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Khauler
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1968 Ford F-250 Project help

First off im currently 14 so i have about 2 years until i will be driving so time is not really a problem. But money is. I have a 1968 Ford F-250 with a 360v8 bored out to a 411 with a Holley 4barrel carb and a rv cam in it. Has Hooker headers and shortpipes that stop under the cab.
It has a 1ton manual transmission and 2wd drive.
---------------------
The problems=
2 misfires in the engine.
If the engine idles for a bit it will build up smoke and when accelerated it blows smoke everywhere
gets about 4-6 miles to a gallon
A while back it was compression checked and got 145 on the right side but lost 10psi on the left resulting in 135 on the left.
There could possibly be more problems
-------------------------------------
What i want with it=
I love this truck as it has invaluable amounts of sentimental value and i would love to get it working as a daily driver or nicer by the time i get my liscense (16)
But a few things bother me....
The truck sits fairly low which i do not like
and it is only 2wd.
I would prefer to have a ford with about a 4+ suspension lift on it but i am worried about how to lift it as it is 2wd drive and has the older I-beam front end.
I would also prefer to have a 4wd ford.
--------------
Now what i want to know is would it be worth it to try to restore my truck to a daily driver that runs good and doesn't smoke but has been converted to 4wd drive and has a lift on it.
Or would it be better to just forget its sentimental value and buy a ford truck off craigslist that already has what i want.
I am up for any challenges that don't require an extreme amount of knowledge as i am only 14 and don't have much of an extensive knowledge for trucks.

My last question is. Where do i start?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 PM
rich1brad
Junior User
Been there and done that. My first Ford F-100 was when i turned 16 and got my drivers license. It only took me about 30 years to finally get my 68 ford 4x4. I basically found a 4x4 chassis and swapped my 2wd body over to the 4x4 chassis. It was not that hard to do except it took a bunch of my sons 16 year old buddies to lift all the body parts over.

Check out my gallery and garage.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Khauler
Junior User
Well im glad im not the only one that has gone through this... I am starting to think that 4wd is not a priority for my first truck but now my main problem is getting it lifted do you know of any suspension lift kits that would work with a 68 f-250 2wd?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:08 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My suggestion if it were my truck since it has sentimental value I would keep it and swap it over to a 4x4 frame it isn't to hard to do and build it how you want it or since I tend to collect cars n trucks i might keep this truck and lower it and make it nice over time and search for another truck that fits what you want I have 2 4wd trucks so now I just need a 2wd and have it lowered

Old 01-29-2011, 04:41 AM
1968f250powerhouse
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to make it a 4x4 you could get a doner truck that has the running gear and swap out the front end and put the transfer case in and the cross member idk if it would fit or if you would have to make one you would probably need to put the rear end too so the gearing is the same and I'm guessing you would have to weld some shackles on the front so you can put the leafs up front and you would have to make a hole so the transfer case shifter can go in the cab idk if the tranny would fit in or if you would have to get one off a 4x4 i have never done it but. Think thats all you have to do it would be easyer to just put the body on the frame

Old 01-29-2011, 08:26 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Dude,
It's awesome that you're into these trucks, that interest is going to develop serious skills down the road...My son is
your age...you need to listen to good advice, that you'll find here on FTE, but you're not being told what you need to know...

You have to think about a few things. First off, the best mileage you're ever going to get out of that engine is maybe 12 MPG.
Have you seen the price of fuel lately? I'm set into a good career at the age of 40, and even I feel a twinge of pain every time
I go to the pump!
At 16, you're going to struggle to fill this thing with gas, and turning it into a 4x4 is going to cost you in parts, and
won't help your fuel costs either...and the whole idea of lifting a truck is a pricey option to do it properly...and why
lift a 2WD? It may look "cool", but how cool will it look just sitting in the driveway 'cause you're too broke from all that to be
able to drive it?! The whloe idea of lifting a truck is to give you more clearance in rough terrain, and you can't go thrashing
through rough terrain in a 2WD right? If I were you, I'd focus on learning about your truck, and fixing the engine.
I'm guessing you've got issues with the heads and head gaskets. If you have a burnt exhaust valve, you'll need to
have the heads redone (valve job) and you're looking at upwards of $500 to do such a repair...
believe me, you can't do it yourself at your current level of experience. Focus on learning, and try to do the minimum you
need to to get your old truck going, but you're in for a struggle...gas, insurance, it's going to be tough. When it comes
to knowledge, there are plenty of us old farts here on FTE to help you along...
I don't want to discourage you in your goals, just try to make your goals realistic...the last thing I'd ever want to do is
crush a young mans dreams...you young guys need to reach for the top in life!
Best wishes,
Jason

Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Khauler
Junior User
Originally Posted by CropDusterMan
Dude,
It's awesome that you're into these trucks, that interest is going to develop serious skills down the road...My son is
your age...you need to listen to good advice, that you'll find here on FTE, but you're not being told what you need to know...

You have to think about a few things. First off, the best mileage you're ever going to get out of that engine is maybe 12 MPG.
Have you seen the price of fuel lately? I'm set into a good career at the age of 40, and even I feel a twinge of pain every time
I go to the pump!
At 16, you're going to struggle to fill this thing with gas, and turning it into a 4x4 is going to cost you in parts, and
won't help your fuel costs either...and the whole idea of lifting a truck is a pricey option to do it properly...and why
lift a 2WD? It may look "cool", but how cool will it look just sitting in the driveway 'cause you're too broke from all that to be
able to drive it?! The whloe idea of lifting a truck is to give you more clearance in rough terrain, and you can't go thrashing
through rough terrain in a 2WD right? If I were you, I'd focus on learning about your truck, and fixing the engine.
I'm guessing you've got issues with the heads and head gaskets. If you have a burnt exhaust valve, you'll need to
have the heads redone (valve job) and you're looking at upwards of $500 to do such a repair...
believe me, you can't do it yourself at your current level of experience. Focus on learning, and try to do the minimum you
need to to get your old truck going, but you're in for a struggle...gas, insurance, it's going to be tough. When it comes
to knowledge, there are plenty of us old farts here on FTE to help you along...
I don't want to discourage you in your goals, just try to make your goals realistic...the last thing I'd ever want to do is
crush a young mans dreams...you young guys need to reach for the top in life!
Best wishes,
Jason
Your totally right! I took a couple days to really figure out what i "wanted" And i realized that what i really "want" is a truck that i can drive and keep out of my driveway. All those other stuff like 4x4 lift kits are just extras that are not important. I've decided to just get the truck running good and reliable and just fix the heads on it, get rid of the rust, and get it safe (doesn't have anyworking lights, no seatbelts, SUPER cracked windshield etc...)
Then work on body work and eventually put in a split rear end so i can get a little better mileage on the freeway!
Thanks for your input as it definitely helped me figure out what i really want.
P.S.
I've also been working with the fellow who i got the truck from and today i just learned that every moving part in the engine has been balanced and blueprinted. It only has 40thousand miles since it was last rebuilt, an rv cam, and good compression. The only problems is it has 2 misses an exhaust leak (the headers are warped at the flange), and the oil leak into the cylinder!
Anyways thanks for your help,
Corey

Old 01-29-2011, 08:25 PM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Hey Corey,

Great to hear you're on the right track...keep us all posted on your adventures
in restoration...I wish you all the best.
Jason