1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

bio diesel question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bio diesel question

I know this is kinda the wrong place for this but I really don't care how it runs in any other diesel. Just ours. Our cheapest place for regular diesel here now is 3.37. I can get bio for half of that and it's supposedly certified and everything. At one time I looked into getting my big tank on the farm filled with it and I even got a new tractor that's rated for B100 but that was 3 years ago adn bio was 10 bucks a gallon then. Seriously.

So are any of you running it in your trucks? If so what blend should I get? And any other tips or advice? I'm filling up tomorrow. I hope it's ok. My fuel pump is new and all the hoses except for the two down by the oil cooler. The only two fuel o rings still original are the to fuel inlets at the back of the heads. I've run B20 recently with no problems. Oh wait, that was when my fuel pump started leaking. oh well. it's new now.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 PM
SD_Diesel
New User
I work at a John Deere dealership and we have seen nothing but problems with bio diesel. if you are running a rubber hose you gotta get some certain type of fuel line, i have seen those hoses get eaten up alot. also we have replaced many injection pumps, injectors, and metal fuel lines. from what i have been told is bio diesel only has a shelf life of about thirty days, after that the fuel becomes really acidic and the acid then eats the injection pumps, lines and injectors. me personally i would rather pay more for regular diesel than run the bio fuel.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
These PS love Bio! I dont know about john deere, but the Navistar runs well on bio.. 100% bio too!

The hoses SD was speaking of, are the viton hoses, which the DIT PS already come with. Just buy some extra fuel filters, cause your filters may plug up with the dino sediment dislodging from your fuel delivery system.

Bio will also increase longevity and wear on our engines. Unlike the solvent made dino fuels, bio is less harsh on an engine!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Start with a 50/50 blend first.

The bio will clean out the fuel system.

Grab a few extra fuel filters at the parts store too. You'll be changing one soon.

TJBeggs runs 100% home brew bio.
He's a good one to talk to about it.
I still got like 50 gallons of oil to take over to him. Just cannot afford the drive. haha.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
Been running B20 in mine for a couple years now with no problems. except fuel filters. bio diesel cleans out the crud left behind from petro diesel. once the system is clean though its great. I hear untreated ULSD isnt very good for our injectors. b20 around here is only .30 more so I use it. if its made to ASTM D6751 - 10 standards it should be fine

Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Start with a 50/50 blend first.

The bio will clean out the fuel system.

Grab a few extra fuel filters at the parts store too. You'll be changing one soon.

TJBeggs runs 100% home brew bio.
He's a good one to talk to about it.
I still got like 50 gallons of oil to take over to him. Just cannot afford the drive. haha.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I think I will keep putting it through the farm tank in the bed so it gets filtered before it goes in the truck. Like I always do. 50/50 is what I was thinking for now. I was reading that link someone posted on fuel additives and the number 1 thing as far as lubrication was a B5 mix. Hopefully this will be a good thing. I'm still planning to get my own press soon and will be planting something to get the oil from this year probably. I got a feeling it will be too much work but if it hits 5 bucks a gallon again it won't be.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
That was Soy Diesel in that article.
but bio has better lubricity anyways.

I believe it gels at a diff temp too.

50/50 will clean the system. But you'll go though about 3 filters before it stops cleaning out crud.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 PM
SD_Diesel
New User
so the bio diesel runs good in psd huh? i just might have to look into that. where im at not many people are into the bio fuel, a couple of farmers here and there. I dont really here much about bio fuel from other people around here.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Just to throw my 2 cents in the ring. ULSD is more of a solvent too so I'm not sure how scary those first few tanks of bio will be any more since the new diesel has been cleaning things up a bit for a while now.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that 100% bio can start to cloud in the low 40's depending on what it's made from. A bad cold snap with 100% bio can spell trouble.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 AM
jeep1947
Senior User

I have been running bio for 5 years and no problems. Once you get the system clean filter use is same as dino diesel. In winter if run 50/50 with no jelling problems and B100 rest of year. Fuel lines hold up good. Changed fuel pump hoses to fuel injector hose I get at Auto Zone so far no problems. Am on second fuel pump as the diaphrams do not hole up to bio. wish they made one with viton.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I talked to the plant manager yesterday here. They mostly use soy but always use virgin oil. No WVO or anything. It's all veggy and animal based stuff and is certified. Should be ok.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Yeah, any of your gas station brands are going to be fresh crop products.

WVO is a different beast all together, but just as good.

There are lots of people making WVO everywhere, Kinda amazing. they hide it well though. The getting oil thing is cutthroat now.

Tim's stockpiling fryer grease.
hahaha.
anywhere from 1-2 dollars a gallon when buying fryer grease from guys.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:33 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quality biodiesel from any feed stock (virgin oil or WVO even rendered fat) is good for the 7.3. BUT quality bio is the key. I make mine from WVO and my truck loves it. If only I would find the time to get fired up. I have about 800 gallons of oil waiting on me.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:23 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I'm gonna plant something next spring to make fuel from. I don't know what yet. Probably soybeans just so I can further annoy my neighbors. They told me I couldn't get giant bermuda to grow here and I did. Then they told me that about alfalfa and I did that too. A couple told me soybeans won't grow here and I am from Tennessee so I bet I can do that too. It's amazing what a small herd of goats chickens and horses can make grow when they do the fertilizing!!!! I just found out a neighbor has an old oil press that is still tight and working good. I'm gonna put it to use. I've been hearing about others baling the crop in small square bales and running the entire plant through the press. That's probably what I will do at first.