6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Filter change problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 AM
asphaltman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was done by a dealer...one I wont be using anymore.. So now that it has been running fine, is there any way to tell potential damage to the HPFP or injectors... Would be easier to deal with it now rather than later.. I know I seem paranoid, just call it $58k nervousness....

Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM
kttomas
New User
I just changed out the fuel filters on my 6.7 with 24,000 on it. Replaced it with a Ford filter and did the purge on it about 50 times with no luck. Dropped the DFCM filter twice to make sure it was seated properly. Each time I dropped it there wasn't very much fuel in the filter.

I finally had the trucked towed to the dealer. The service manager say they have had several trucks come in with the same problem. They just replace the filters and purge the system and they are good. Something to do with the way they are installed. I will try talking with the tech when I pick up the truck.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kttomas
I just changed out the fuel filters on my 6.7 with 24,000 on it. Replaced it with a Ford filter and did the purge on it about 50 times with no luck. Dropped the DFCM filter twice to make sure it was seated properly. Each time I dropped it there wasn't very much fuel in the filter.

I finally had the trucked towed to the dealer. The service manager say they have had several trucks come in with the same problem. They just replace the filters and purge the system and they are good. Something to do with the way they are installed. I will try talking with the tech when I pick up the truck.
Welcome to FTE.

Sorry to hear you're having problems purging your fuel system. I've only changed mine once, but it's due in 1500 miles.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:24 AM
triplex
New User
Cool baby is sick will not start

ok have 2012 ford 6,7 motor love my truck has over 900000 miles on it i got some bad fuel in the tank and it was almost oure water did comple filter change dropped fuel tank and cleaned when the truck stopped running it was showing me low fuel pressure reduced engine then it stopped and hasnt ran since . i would like to have a manual to bleed fuel system low and high side plus clean injectors PLEASE HELP ME im missing my baby so bad

Old 09-29-2015, 06:42 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Sorry to tell you this, but if you had a tank of almost pure water, I would venture a guess that the whole fuel system needs to be replaced. Hopefully, you saved your reciept from where you bought the fuel, and can stick them for a good portion of the repair bill. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:36 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
You are going to need the complete flush, new injectors, new hpfp and maybe more.

I would suggest you get ahold of the place you bought the fuel from and turn a claim into them and your insurance.

Since this is so much you might want to consider taking to the dealership for the techs to do the job.

Probably would be a requirement for the fuel station to pick up the tab.

You have 90K miles or 900,000?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 AM
triplex
New User
well dont have no one to blame but myself as of now i have the problem i think mnarrowed down but really need a online manual to do the flush and bleed the system plus how to test the first switgh before the fuel gets to the high pressure pump it will run and start on either but will not pick up its own fuel

Old 09-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by triplex
well dont have no one to blame but myself as of now i have the problem i think mnarrowed down but really need a online manual to do the flush and bleed the system plus how to test the first switgh before the fuel gets to the high pressure pump it will run and start on either but will not pick up its own fuel
From 2015 Ford DVD....

Diesel Fuel System Contamination Repair/Flushing — Key turned to RUN or engine started
NOTICE: This procedure is to be used when metal debris and/or fuel system contamination is present.

NOTICE: This procedure is for flushing the Low Pressure fuel system lines from the fuel tank, through both fuel filters and the High Pressure HP Pump to remove all contaminates before installing new fuel system components.

NOTICE: Leave original fuel filters, HP injection pump, fuel lines, fuel rails and injectors in place until the flushing procedure is completed to prevent contamination of replacement components.

NOTICE: The DFCM must be inspected during filter replacement to verify no low pressure fuel system damage. If metal debris or DEF contamination is present, the DFCM must be replaced.

NOTICE: All remaining low pressure fuel lines can be reused if no physical damage is present.

Drain fuel tank completely by removing the tank and cleaning it. Section 310-01 . (Dispose of contaminated fuel in accordance with local laws and regulations.)

Fill fuel tank with fresh, clean, good quality diesel fuel.

Using an appropriate container, drain the DFCM of any residual liquids.

Remove the front (inlet) Fuel Cooler Line that feeds fuel to the cooler from the engine.

Place the open end of the line into a suitable container.

Use Scan Tool Active Commands or cycle the ignition to “RUN” to activate the low pressure fuel pump to flush the lines.

Allow the fuel pump to run for 3 minutes or until approximately 3 gallons of fuel has been flushed through the system.

Reconnect the front (inlet) Fuel Cooler Line.

Replace both primary and secondary fuel filters.

Replace the following HP fuel system components:

HP Fuel Pump
Engine mounted HP fuel lines
Both HP fuel rails
Eight fuel injectors
Low pressure fuel injector return hose assembly
Fuel delivery pressure switch (located on the engine low pressure line near the secondary fuel filter)

(all the above items included in kit EC3Z-9B246-A for approx $3800 off eBay with return of the High pressure fuel pump EC3Z-9B246-A | eBay )

Old 09-29-2015, 09:02 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
From 2015 Ford DVD for engine not started

Diesel Fuel System Contamination Repair/Flushing — Key NOT turned to RUN or engine NOT started
NOTICE: This procedure is to be used when fuel system contamination has been introduced ONLY to the fuel tank. If the key has been turned to the “RUN” position allowing the Diesel Fuel Conditioning Module (DFCM) to prime, this procedure does not apply.

NOTICE: The DFCM must be inspected during filter replacement to verify no low pressure fuel system damage. If Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) contamination is present, this procedure does not apply.

Drain fuel tank completely by removing the tank and cleaning it. Section 310-01 . (Dispose of contaminated fuel in accordance with local laws and regulations.)

Fill fuel tank with fresh, clean, good quality diesel fuel.

Using an appropriate container, drain the DFCM of any residual liquids.

Replace both primary and secondary fuel filters.

Remove the front (inlet) Fuel Cooler Line that feeds fuel to the cooler from the engine.

Place the open end of the line into a suitable container.

Use Scan Tool Active Commands or cycle the ignition to “RUN” to activate the low pressure fuel pump to flush the lines.
Allow the fuel pump to run for 3 minutes or until approximately 3 gallons of fuel has been flushed through the system.

Reconnect the front (inlet) Fuel Cooler Line.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Albertg
New User
Reduced engine power, low fuel pressure.

I bought a used f250 diesel. At 51k I got a "low fuel pressure" on my display panel immediately after start. I also started hearing a whining noise from underneath the drivers side undercarriage . As I drove I for another alert saying, "reduced engine power". I saw a YouTube video about this guy who had a similar problem and his problem was a lose fuel filter housing which was causing air to get in the system. He recommended tightening it up. My issue was not a lose housing but instead an extremely filthy fuel filter. As soon as a I changed the filters (top and bottom), problem solved. Immediately gained full power. The only thing you'll have to do is prime the fuel system and reset your service engine light. Hope this helps someone else as I was about to get reemed by the dealership for at least $400-700.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:40 PM
Michael Malone
New User
First of all, I want to thank everyone for their posts. I recently purchased a 2013 F250 6.7 with 155k. Didn’t know the Mx history, so I just assumed the worst and prioritized each Mx item. When I got to the fuel filters, I turned to YouTube to teach me. Worked out great until I forgot the most important part, pressurizing the fuel system. After reading the above listed items, I went back and completely cleaned all the parts and then used my impact drive set on low to ensure it was tight as possible. Of course, this time I did the required fuel pressure technic and she started on the first try. THANK GOD!!!