1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 F250 SD Ex 4x4 V10- Intermittent no start/complete stall while driving

Old 05-24-2016, 06:24 PM
friedpasta
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 F250 SD Ex 4x4 V10- Intermittent no start/complete stall while driving

Please excuse my repair ignorance, I generally just do my own very basic repairs. This problem has both me and the 2 repair shops who checked it baffled. I've seen some posts about similar issues with other 150s and 250s but not exactly this.

99' F250 has been intermittently not starting, both cold and warm, began last fall but only happened once a month or so or longer. Would then start after trying again either right away or after waiting a bit. Now it is doing it on a regular basis. Sometimes it will start right away, sometimes won't but if you keep trying or wait awhile it starts, sometimes using the extra key will start it right away after the first one didn't, sometimes neither one. It does not try to turn over, make any noises, no warning lights flashing, just won't start.

Now also on two occasions within the past week, it just stopped while driving. Radio, dash lights, etc., stayed on. I got it to the side of the road with the little power steering left where it started up again right away.

No codes showed up. First mechanic couldn't find anything obvious or replicate problem. Changed air and fuel filters (fuel filter really needed changed), plugs. Got truck back and it wouldn't start next morning. He checked it again and got a code related to ignition, tried the spare key and it started up. Truck back home, next day same problem.

Mechanic 2 checked, no codes, kept several days but, of course, couldn't replicate problem. I'm not even sure what all they checked, used to be an excellent repair place but now they seem to only really on diagnostics and throw up their hands, very disappointing.

Replaced solenoid and starter last year myself. Otherwise, have had no problems until this.

It looks like I'm going to have to start learning and looking myself. Anyone experience this or have ideas where to start?

ut

Old 05-24-2016, 06:54 PM
Crispy71
Senior User
Admittedly it was a Dodge Van years ago, we had a coil going bad with a hidden crack that acted very similar to what you're describing. I'd start by checking your coil packs.
The other thing I'd check would be around your fuse box for signs of water.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection to the battery. One of the cables has a loose connection or is corroded internally. Or "that Ford thing" hanging off the fender went bad. (starter relay)

Old 05-25-2016, 06:10 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
It's a bad cable or battery connection as evidenced by your description of a total loss of ALL power when in failure mode.

This is a VERY basic diagnosis, even a shop open on its first day should be able to solve this if they've been given a complete and accurate summary of the symptoms. Of course, intermittent problems will drive everyone crazy, especially if it can't be replicated while the technician is actually working on it.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:40 AM
friedpasta
New User
Apologize from original post, it actually does still have electrical power. I wasn't very clear. Intermittently won't start or just stops while driving, Radio has stayed on, lights, etc. Then restarts either immediately or after waiting a bit.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Crispy71
Senior User
Check your fuel pump, wiring and relay as well.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:14 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by friedpasta
Apologize from original post, it actually does still have electrical power. I wasn't very clear. Intermittently won't start or just stops while driving, Radio has stayed on, lights, etc. Then restarts either immediately or after waiting a bit.
Well then you will need to be even more specific, what exactly "loses power" or doesn't lose power when this happens? Will the starter crank the engine? Does the dash light up? Etc.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:58 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
I wasn't very clear
Obviously, since I took you at your literal word in reporting symptoms.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM
cecil flows
New User
Fuel pump issues

Originally Posted by friedpasta
Please excuse my repair ignorance, I generally just do my own very basic repairs. This problem has both me and the 2 repair shops who checked it baffled. I've seen some posts about similar issues with other 150s and 250s but not exactly this.

99' F250 has been intermittently not starting, both cold and warm, began last fall but only happened once a month or so or longer. Would then start after trying again either right away or after waiting a bit. Now it is doing it on a regular basis. Sometimes it will start right away, sometimes won't but if you keep trying or wait awhile it starts, sometimes using the extra key will start it right away after the first one didn't, sometimes neither one. It does not try to turn over, make any noises, no warning lights flashing, just won't start.

Now also on two occasions within the past week, it just stopped while driving. Radio, dash lights, etc., stayed on. I got it to the side of the road with the little power steering left where it started up again right away.

No codes showed up. First mechanic couldn't find anything obvious or replicate problem. Changed air and fuel filters (fuel filter really needed changed), plugs. Got truck back and it wouldn't start next morning. He checked it again and got a code related to ignition, tried the spare key and it started up. Truck back home, next day same problem.

Mechanic 2 checked, no codes, kept several days but, of course, couldn't replicate problem. I'm not even sure what all they checked, used to be an excellent repair place but now they seem to only really on diagnostics and throw up their hands, very disappointing.

Replaced solenoid and starter last year myself. Otherwise, have had no problems until this.

It looks like I'm going to have to start learning and looking myself. Anyone experience this or have ideas where to start?

ut

I had the same issue out of my v10 and finally it quit all together one day replaced fuel pump and filter hasn't happened when above freezing since now that it has began to get cold in NC I am having some problems with the cold start it will turn over and not start it's like something under the hood has to warm up before it will start