Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53-56 Front sheet metal alignment procedure

Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 PM
4mrdragoon
Senior User
4mrdragoon is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks this will come in handy

Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 AM
turnrjr
Elder User
turnrjr has a good reputation on FTE.turnrjr has a good reputation on FTE.turnrjr has a good reputation on FTE.
Ax, Getting close to this phase of my project. This will be very helpful. Your how-to explanations are clear an well written and as I brought my truck home in pieces I don't have the experience from taking it apart. My 54 cab hangs suspended from the ceiling in the garage over the nearly completed running rolling chassis. Do you have any guidance to mount the cab? It looks to me that there is little rotational adjustment, only up and down. Body work is complete on the cab including new front cab supports, rockers and corners. New mounting rubbers and bolts came with the truck. I bought new dog bone rear mounts.
Bob

Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
No guidance except use new rubber as you are doing and make sure it's square, hasn't been tweaked.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 AM
das54
Elder User
das54 has a very good reputation on FTE.das54 has a very good reputation on FTE.das54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
My truck does not have any fender alignment rods. I kinda wondered what the brackets on the fire wall (cowl) were intended for because they are fairly heavy looking. My hood does have the 4 alignment rods. So how important are the fender alignment rods? The radiator core frame is cross braced and seems heavy enough to support the front end of the fenders. And where do the front ends of the fender rods attach? Anyone have a photo of how they attach?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 AM
Tom C 56
Freshman User
Tom C 56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello,
After reading AXracers excellent post, I have the same kind of question as das54. I have a 56 that looks like it hasn't had the fender rods or brackets on it for years (or decades). It's been a driver and doesn't seem to have any problems.
Thanks, Tom

Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
The fender support rods are very important to holding the alignment and preventing twisting. Ford was so cheap he wouldn't have put in one extra bolt that wasn't needed. See pg 89 of MidFifty catalog for the front brackets and rods.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM
das54
Elder User
das54 has a very good reputation on FTE.das54 has a very good reputation on FTE.das54 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Anyone have a decent photo of the front end of the alignment rod. I think I can fab a bracket if I have a good photo of one for a lot less than $50 a pair. I'm cheap that way. I'm no Ron Covell and I won't try to hammer out a lower 1/4 panel for the cab but I can make a alignment rod and I'll try the bracket too.

And another question. I fit up all my parts on the frame and had to push the front of the cab about 1/2 inch to the drivers side in order to make the hood square up between the front fenders. I had read this thread but not closely enough to realize there are supposed to be fender alignment rods. Also, m y frame rails and cab mount frame wings are straight and the frame rails are pretty close to 34 inches front to back. Should I try it again with the alignment rods to see if they will pull the fenders and upper radiator valance to the left enough to avoid modifying the cab mount frame wing. Also, the hole in the end of my cab mount frame wings is much larger than the lower small mount pad. In fact, the hole is about the O.D. of the pad. Seems like it should be the o.d. of the inner neck of the pad. I was planning to fill the hole and then drill new smaller ones located as needed to the left.

While I'm at it. Another question. I don't like cage nuts because they seem like one more layer for moisture to get into and start rusting. Lose nuts (flange nuts or regular nut with a washer) require lots of reach under with back up wrench type work so has anyone welded T nuts on the inside of the inner fender or does this lose too much adjustability.

Thanks - a ton,
Dan

Old 02-12-2011, 06:53 AM
64Guy
New User
64Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
front sheet metal alignment procedure

Chuck, does your basic procedure apply to 1964 F100, too?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:55 AM
64Guy
New User
64Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
front sheet metal alignment

Chuck, does your basic procedure apply to 1964 F100, too?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Dan,
I ran out at took a couple of pictures of the front alignment bracket.
They are in my gallery at:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Harrier's Album: Front End Alignment Brackets

If you need any more pictures, I can run out and take them.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
Mine were missing when I got my truck as well (a PO had bolted the front doghouse together and made it flip. The next PO had unbolted the whole thing and returned it to OEM operation.) so I put out a request for brackets and rods on here. A very kind soul and brother of the F100's offered me a spare set off a parts truck.
The sets MF sells are polished stainless hence the price.

64 guy, I really don't know anything about the 64, sorry.