1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

This hood is killing me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:40 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This hood is killing me!

The hood overhangs the front fender edges by 3/8". Broke out my shop manual, which reminded me that the hood hinge mounting holes are elongated for adjustment. Loosened the 2 under the hood and the 2 behind the dash, smacked the hinge plate rearward with a rubber mallet a few wacks, and snugged them and shut the hood. No real improvement on the front edge, only the the cowl gap had INCREASED and I could not push the drivers side hood corner down to where it would even come close to looking closed. In fact, the gap was such that i could stick 4 fingers in the gap at the rear and pull the rear of the hood up, (VERY easily). I thought, "this can't be right", so I decided to put everything back the way it was and seek guidance from my FTE bretheren. I can now push the rear corner down fairly well, but the gap tween hood edge and cowl is large.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
merten
Laughing Gas
Jim,

Try adjusting the latch.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Chris, that is an excellent idea, and one which had not occured to me. I'll loosen the latch mount bolts, and try closing the hood and see if the latch does'nt move forward 1/4" to 3/8", hopefully the hood will move rearward. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 PM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you want to get it closer...but were these trucks ever designed to be as close as we get them (gap-wise) when we re-do them?
I looks at my gaps and tinker but I then tell myself....it's a H*** of alot closer than factory in the day.
I know this might be an extreme way...but does your truck use the radiator to cowl rod braces like my '54? If so...try losening the front fender to cab bolts...losen the bolts that hold the radiator frame work to the frame, adjust the rods so the radiator frame has the right pitch, close and latch the hood, check where it falls...bump-push-nudge as needed and then retighten all the radiator and fender bolts that you had loosened.....basically reset the location of the front clip???
Dont know, Just a thought?
Ed

Old 03-29-2008, 10:27 PM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Jim that cant be fixed, Mail me the keys, I'll drive over and pick it up.
better yet pull it over here with that new semi.

I posted this once before, An old timer told me that you need to have the hood off on level ground and adjust the tension on the rod's so that all 4 corners touch, Then put it on the truck and go from there. I have not got far enough to try it but it sure seems logical.

Rick

Old 03-30-2008, 03:57 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Well after 2-3 hours wrestling with the right hinge assembly(AGGREVATION!) trying every minute variation I could, I rung off one bolt of the 4, and found another to be stripped. I never could get it right, and quit after I wrung the one off. Both are under the hood, the inside ones are fine. Does anyone know if these bolts are replaceable? They appear to be a pressed in carriage bolt, with a flat head as opposed to domed.
Anyone got a set of hinge assemblies they want to sell?

Old 03-30-2008, 03:58 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Well after 2-3 hours wrestling with the right hinge assembly(AGGREVATION!) trying every minute variation I could, I rung off one bolt of the 4, and found another to be stripped. I never could get it right, and quit after I wrung the one off. Both are under the hood, the inside ones are fine. Does anyone know if these bolts are replaceable? They appear to be a pressed in carriage bolt, with a flat head as opposed to domed.
Anyone got a set of hinge assemblies they want to sell?

Old 03-31-2008, 01:51 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Bump to the top?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim, now would be a good time to buy yourself a well deserved birthday present. A forward tilt hood hood would solve all of these alignment problems and I think that they are a couple of hundered bucks if you stay away from the billet stuff. I realize that they are not cheap, but why start putting money into repairing the old ones? Even after you repair them, they may not fit and operate the way that you want them to. Look at my gallery. That is the style you want. Good luck, Jag

Old 03-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Holmsey
Senior User
Just when I thought we were to get a solution (other than tilt kit) it stops.
I am in the same boat and its doing me nut in.
I am about to have one more go, which way do you move the hood latch? I have read you move the dowel forward and another said move the latch assembly anyone know which is right. So moving the hinge backward didn't help, I was to try that tomorrow.

I did find lengthening the hood bars made a great improvement to the hood edge to fender lining up. But I have the large gap at the hood rear to cowl, which I don't remember when it was in primer ;o)

Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Holmsey
Senior User
Old 03-31-2008, 04:24 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Holmsey, Yours is not as bad as mine. Following Mertens suggestion, which made perfect sense, I moved the latch plate rearward as far as it would go, trying to get the hood to move rearward with it, but only had about 1/8th" adjustment left, which did nothing, so I removed the dowel pin, to allow the hood to do what it will when shut. No help. My trouble is with the drivers side, so I moved that hinge plate many times, in all directions, and achieved only minimal results, not to mention wringing off one bolt and finding another was stripped. If no FTE'rs have a plate (drivers side) I can buy, I'll prolly get a new set. I do have the same sitch as you in that the front of edge of my hood overhangs the front fender by about 11mm. I'm hoping some on here who's opinion I would deem expert will help us out. Good luck, Jim

Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All right then. We'll just wait for one of them there experts to come along. Jag

Old 03-31-2008, 05:28 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Jag, I apologize. I read and then forgot about your post after reading Holmsey's. Did you make your entire tilt bracketry, or buy it elsewhere and modify it? 200$??? Where is it from, if bought? There no external mods on my '55, other than the 3'" wider rear fenders, and i am trying to keep it that way, but if I can't get this sitch fixed, I may consider that. When I first read yor post, I thought we were taliking about a glass tilt front end, which is not an option. Thanx, Jim

Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 PM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The shop manual I have says, additional adjustment can be obtained by elongating the bolt holes. Another thing to check is the length of the hinge arms. The 56 uses a different hinge with I believe longer arms than the 53-55. Good luck.
brian...

Quick Reply: This hood is killing me!