1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tool guide at Xmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Tool guide at Xmas

Thought this may be usefull when requesting tools this Christmas:
DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKILL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT (COMMON) SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-B*TCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a B*TCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Merry Christmas !

Old 12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I really like that,do you have any more? I am sure that the guys & julie will
come in with a few others too

Old 12-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty funny.Most all of my tools are the SOB variety.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayne S
Pretty funny.Most all of my tools are the SOB variety.
Bin there done that.....ya, too funny!

Old 12-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
SUPER GLUE: For mending broken fingernails!

DUCT TAPE: For anything but ducts!

LOL, (ok I'll just shut up now)

Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I'm happy to say I have one of each, except for the drill press and table saw. Now I know what to ask Santa for Christmas. ;-)

The one thing that got left off the list above was polisher wheel. Similar to wire wheel, but designed to turn your rare and expensive stainless trim into pretzels and throw them into your chest at light speed. Don't ask me how I know. ;-)

Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 PM
coopdagook
Senior User
Don't forget the drill, used to find wires or hoses behind firewalls. Used it to find a brake booster once .

Old 12-12-2010, 10:14 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
EASY-OUTS: used to break off in bolt you were trying to remove so that it becomes absolutely impossible to re-drill it.

PUNCH: most commonly used to swell out the end of door hinge pins

Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After being in machine shop business , have seen the best and worst use of tools...LOL

Old 12-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a collection of crescent wrenches, (inherited). I swear that they make a better hammer than a wrench

Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Stud Finder: Wife's personal favorite. Points in opposite direction of me.

Variable Speed Oscillating Multi-function Power Tool: Wife's backup for Stud finder.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Chop Saw: Used to make any long piece of metal too short
Carb Spray Cleaner: Used to blast tiny objects directly into users eyes regardless of where its aimed
Wire Welder: used for sculpting bird poop on metal panels

Old 12-13-2010, 09:24 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts