1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COP upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:50 AM
mountainsurfer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COP upgrade

Thinking of upgrading my ignition system with Performance Distributors Coils for the V10. Any one have experience? PD says they have no performance data on the V10 with their coils, but the 5.4 looked good.

Thanks

Old 12-04-2010, 11:34 AM
redford
Received 1,560 Likes on 908 Posts
It is probably a waste of money.

There are a lot of products that claim they do a better job of igniting the mixture in the cylinder, but as long as the spark plug fires and all of the fuel/air mixture burns up before the exhaust valve opens the spark you have is adequate. A hotter spark, longer spark or colored spark isn't going to provide any better benefits on a stock engine.

A lot of the companies that make these devices also show gains on a dyno when the product is installed, but the engine probably needed a tune up on the first run anyway. I'd love to see a dyno test, then a tune up with stock parts and a dyno test, then a third run with the fancy coil/plug/wire product.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:24 PM
wallew
Senior User
Seven years too late

I actually have been using DP products for over 20 years. Recently dropped a new set of COPS into my Dodge Magnum with the 5.7 Hemi.

All I can say is once this is done, if you have NOT upgraded your brakes, it WILL be the next upgrade on your list.

My 5.7 hemi went for a really nice engine to a barn burner strictly with the COP swap.

Seemed to be the best upgrade for my police interceptor Magnum for the money.

My 05 Ex will be next for the COP upgrade - $400 for all ten. Can't beat the price and you will get an amazing upgrade for cheap.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:26 PM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Aftermarket junk.

A retired police cruiser with 125k miles on the original factory plugs and ignition will undoubtedly run better after a tuneup.

No matter of OEM or miracle, overhyped, and overpriced aftermarket parts are used in the tuneup.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
DENSO COP's from Rock-Auto are OEM and far less expensive than $400.

I carry an extra COP for when one fails, only replace boots, spring's and plugs until then.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd stick with OEM.
The OEM's for the v10 are cheaper on amazon

Old 04-17-2017, 04:08 PM
wallew
Senior User
finn,

The Dodge DID NOT HAVE the original factory plugs. I had already swapped a BRAND NEW set of 16 MOPAR plugs in as soon as I got it. This was about six months later.

I had a 91 GMC Suburban 4x4 with a 350 V8. I installed a Jet Chip in it. AND for the ignition module, I used Accel. I burned two of the Accel modules up in less than three months. Turns out the Accel ignition module was 'fighting' the programming on the Jet Chip (Accel Module lost - twice). I upgraded the Accel ignition module using Performance Distributors ignition module. THAT LASTED TEN YEARS. When it died, I replaced it with another one. It ran great until I sold that truck three years later. and it's still running that module now - I occasionally see the guy I sold it to and asked him how it was running - great was his response. After 13 years of service it was time for a new truck.

Until you put your money where you mouth is, as I have done several times over the years using Performance Distributor products, THEN you can pronounce that they don't work. UNTIL THEN, PFFFTT.

Bently_Coop,

What you say is true, but the Denso COPS won't give you 60% more power AT THE PLUG. PERFORMANCE DISTRIBUTORS SOS COPS DO. You use stock plugs but gap them to 65 instead of the normal 35. And that $400 is FOR TEN COPS, not one. Call it $40 each. Which is marginally the same price you are talking about (for the MOTORCRAFT one) for a better product. Denso's are about half that price. But you DO GET what you pay for. AT LEAST I DO. I can't speak for anyone else and I don't pretend to.

I'm not only VERY HAPPY with their products, I'm getting ready to install a set in my V10 in my 05 Excursion. I will report back with the overall results. But I'll also be adding the 5StarTuner (with the 91 octane programming in it) and a set of Banks headers as well, so the power boost WILL be interesting for sure.

And guess what, as soon as I got the 05 Excursion Limited 4x4, it went in to my mechanic and he did a full fluid change engine, radiator, tranny, both diffs. As I have not had him swap in the new COPS yet, that is when they will get a new set of FOMOCO plugs (gapped to 65).

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...1&goto=newpost

Performance Distributors makes several great products. I've used TWO different ones. THAT BOTH WORKED AS ADVERTISED AND AS PROMISED.

And guess what flinn? BEING A US COMPANY, they stand behind their products. IF you don't like the results, they offered me my money back.

I NEVER took them up on it. I was THAT HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS. Life is short. IT'S ONLY MONEY. And if I had NOT gotten this type of performance increase, I would have put up a website denouncing their products, but I don't have to because I have gotten EXACTLY the type of performance increases they said I would.

peace

PS - I generally upgrade every vehicle I own. The exceptions are few.

MY 1970 Kaiser Jeep Deuce and a half
MY WIFE'S 2002 SLK 32 AMG Mercedes Benz

JW out

Old 04-17-2017, 04:13 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not buying it for one second until I see evidence. In this case that means a dyno run with NEW STOCK coils, then a dyno run with whatever snake oil coils.

Till then, HOGWASH

Old 04-17-2017, 05:54 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Stock gap is not "35",
On both my V10s it is .052" - .056".
Also, this thread is really old.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:26 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 830 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by wallew
I'm getting ready to install a set in my V10 in my 05 Excursion. I will report back with the overall results. But I'll also be adding the 5StarTuner (with the 91 octane programming in it) and a set of Banks headers as well, so the power boost WILL be interesting for sure.
JW out

It's a shame your are planning on doing all three mods at the same time as it wont be possible to discern what mod is responsible for which gains. I am familiar with the gains that can be had from the Banks headers on an '05 V-10 EX as well as 5Star's custom tunes as I have both on my '05 V-10 EX. You should feel a noticeable improvement in throttle response and all around performance from just those two for sure. If you could do these three mods in steps with a couple of tanks of gas between each it would provide a better opportunity to evaluate the improvements from each product individually.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 AM
wallew
Senior User
SAM I AM,

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

So you still gap them at 65. I just checked with Performance Distributors.

Tom,

I do understand what you are saying. BUT, I'm not doing my own work any more. When I hit 60, I asked my wife if it was OK if I found a great mechanic to do the work I needed done. She said it was fine, as we could afford it now.

And the idea of having them do the Banks headers and the 5StarTuner, drive it a while and then do the COPS has merit.

But, in truth, NO ONE HERE believes me anyway and I personally doubt if that would change, EVEN IF I HAD ACCESS TO A 4 WHEEL DYNO to provide before and after numbers, which living here in San Angelo, I do not.

So I'm just going to do all three at the same time. If you think about it, doing the headers and stopping does make sense. Adding the 5StarTuner and seeing it's results ALSO makes sense. But to what purpose? To prove a point to the internet? PFFFTT...

In truth, I KNOW it will make way more power than in it's current configuration.

I may even swap in a better flowing muffler - not for sound because I LIKE my vehicles to be quiet. I don't go loud any more, just more free flowing. A muffler used by Cadillac is generally the one I have swapped in. You get a very low rumble but it is very quiet otherwise.

But I will post my results here once I get the work done.

Shocks and getting my running boards replaced are first on the list, because I finally found a set in local yard. They are the wrong color, but the foundation of these running boards are not damaged, so I can swap the top part of my current boards onto the ones I just picked up.

I paid $54 for the pair. I also got two plastic latches to hold the boards to the center row of seat backs out of an Expedition. They were free. As were two trim pieces I had been looking for my Magnum since I swapped out the interior with an R/T interior.

I've been coming to San Angelo for 23 years after my parents retired here and have been going to this particular salvage yard for 23 years. Because San Angelo has approximately 100k people, it means there are enough new wrecked cars and trucks that they have a pretty good selection and with the exception of mag wheels which disappear from there fairly quickly, they pretty much have anything you could want at fair prices. Gotta love a good salvage yard with fair prices.

Now all I need to find are a set of 04 18 x 8 inch wheels so I can upgrade the stocks ones I have. HD, King Ranch or SVT wheels are what I'm shooting for. Then put on new larger Baer Decela Rotors with Green Stuff EBC pads and upgrade the brakes line to SS lines. I will also get a steel wheel in 18 x 8 for a replacement spare.

Then upgrade the entertainment system to a NAV system and I'm done. Then all I will do is drive it and change the oil once a year or so. Plus any other normal maintenance as required.

Love this truck.