Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ranger Hard Starting

Old 02-16-2019, 11:42 AM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Craig Seybert View Post
Also, I'm not sure how long this has been going on, I just bought the truck. But, Will this have any seriouse negative effects in the short term? I might not be able to fix this right away.
It sure can have other serious consequences. If it's misfiring, the unburned fuel will be dumped into the cat converter for processing & that can cause it to overheat & meltdown the internal converter matrix that processes/reduces unburned hydrocarbons, so it'll fail emission testing & if the matrix overheats high & long enough & breaks down bad enough it'll increase exhaust back pressure & cause the engine to run hot, loose power & otherwise be wimpy when you ask it to go at throttle up, so best to get this problem put right without delay, especially if your using it as a daily driver.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:05 PM
Craig Seybert
New User
Craig Seybert is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the reply. I will get this fixed ASAP. Also I noticed something, There looks to be oil coming out of the boot in the middle between the 4 spark plugs, do you know what this item is?

Old 02-16-2019, 12:09 PM
pawpaw
pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
I've never owned the 4banger, so I'm not familiar with how this puppy is plumbed, but we have plenty of members with this engine, so maybe one reading your post will chime in & enlighten us about what it is & why it might be leaking oil.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:36 AM
Craig Seybert
New User
PAWPAW thanks for the tips. I figured out the cause of the Oil backup. I drained the oil today, 5 quarts came out.... only 4 are supposed to go in. I feel so ashamed. I mis-read the capacity last time I changed the oil. I ordered my parts today. New wires, distributor, gasket and intake gaskets. anything else I should do while i'm opening up this beast?

Old 02-17-2019, 10:18 AM
pawpaw
Have you installed a new PCV valve yet? If not & aren't sure if its due, or if its ever been changed, I'd consider doing it now. & be sure to check its rubber hose for a loose fit & its outer elbow bend for dryrot cracks, etc. If its condition looks questionable, replace it too because if the PCV system leaks it'll corrupt fuel trim & ingest dirt.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:23 AM
Craig Seybert
New User
Thumbs up

I have not done PVC, I will add that to the parts list. and check all hoses. Thanks again!

Old 04-08-2019, 07:39 PM
Craig Seybert
New User
PAWPAW, Thank you for the help, I have change all the parts mentioned.

List:

New Fuel filter(First thing I changed when hard crank started)

* Found out about the excess oil in the pan *

Changed the following after my mistake:

Valve cover Gasket

intake gasket

PCV Valve

new plugs

new wire

new distributor

AND THE VERDICT IS:

LIKE BRAND NEW!!!!

Thanks again for all your help. This truck starts like the day it was made and everything seems to be running smooth, no more hard start!

Old 04-08-2019, 07:49 PM
pawpaw
Ok good feedback & to hear all now seems well & your on the road again!!!