1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RideRite...any good even if I don't tow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RideRite...any good even if I don't tow?

I saw a guy who was the ride rite system by firestone and said he loves it, but he also tows a ton. I rarely rarely ever tow anything. Would they still benefit me for ride quality and stability? If i should get them, should I buy for the front and rear, or just the rear? Where's the best place to buy?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Also, for some reason my signature doesn't work when I'm on the mobile theme, so I have a 03 f250 6.0 with a rough country leveling spring kit and 350 blocks in the rear.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Air bags are designed to add more stiffness to the rear suspension as you add weight to it. This is helpful if you either tow heavy things that have lots of tongue weight or carry enough weight (2,000 lbs+) in the bed the springs sag a lot with the load.

If you don't fit either of these categories there is no benefit from installing them. All they would do is give you a harsh ride if you put any pressure in them.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
If you don't haul or tow forget it. I have them and love them but I use the bed and tow a heavy dump trailer. Without anything in the bed or in tow its a rough ride at anything above 10psi. I forgot about it one day and it was at 60-70psi after hauling and towing and I was driving unloaded.....neck snappin rough ride . I like it for the towing and hauling stability but I wouldn't say it improves an already bumpy ride. Just an FYI.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Sounds good. Just didn't know if it did anything for offroading or high speed driving (like the interstate). I guess stiffer suspension naturally would suck offroad, but I thought stiffer suspension was better for handling at higher speeds, or does that only apply to cars with a lower center of gravity and aren't as likely to roll over?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
First, my 06 250 feels every little bump highway or country road in stock form. What I've noticed is that any of these little bumps seem magnified with the airbags. Get on an uneven road.....hope you have a strong neck. Well I dont think its that bad but it is definintely a stiffer ride when inflated. As far as handling I think the Super Duty has been known to not have a "center" feeling with the steering. I've been driving a car to work and when I take the truck I feel I am all over the road as the car has a good center point with the steering and it isnt bouncing all over the road. Don't get me wrong I love my truck. Better shocks would probably provide better handling. I'm not trying to steer you in any direction, just giving you my opinion. They work great for handling the heavy tonque loads I encounter along with leveling the truck when its loaded. So for the $500 you'd spend on the kit plus and the in cab compressor(gotta have if if you actually use them), but never really use them? I'd rather put that money to something else.

Also do not expect a 3/4-1 ton truck to ever ride like a car. F-150, rides like a car (I had one), SuperDuty rides like a truck. Even my fathers 2WD chevy 2500HD rides rough. Just the nature of the beast. I think a lot of people like the ride of the 150 but want the look of the 250/350 so they buy the 250/350 but then complain about how it rides (not directed at the OP). You can also put a load in the bed which could help reduce the rough ride.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts
Yeah, you definitely don't want them if you don't load up. I almost always forget to take the air out after a camping trip, and it lets me know it on the way to work. It is a bone jarring experience. And you can't drink coffee either...you spill more than you drink! But way worth it when the 5er is loaded up!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:40 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
First, my 06 250 feels every little bump highway or country road in stock form. What I've noticed is that any of these little bumps seem magnified with the airbags. Get on an uneven road.....hope you have a strong neck. Well I dont think its that bad but it is definintely a stiffer ride when inflated. As far as handling I think the Super Duty has been known to not have a "center" feeling with the steering. I've been driving a car to work and when I take the truck I feel I am all over the road as the car has a good center point with the steering and it isnt bouncing all over the road. Don't get me wrong I love my truck. Better shocks would probably provide better handling. I'm not trying to steer you in any direction, just giving you my opinion. They work great for handling the heavy tonque loads I encounter along with leveling the truck when its loaded. So for the $500 you'd spend on the kit plus and the in cab compressor(gotta have if if you actually use them), but never really use them? I'd rather put that money to something else.

Also do not expect a 3/4-1 ton truck to ever ride like a car. F-150, rides like a car (I had one), SuperDuty rides like a truck. Even my fathers 2WD chevy 2500HD rides rough. Just the nature of the beast. I think a lot of people like the ride of the 150 but want the look of the 250/350 so they buy the 250/350 but then complain about how it rides (not directed at the OP). You can also put a load in the bed which could help reduce the rough ride.
Yeah I definitely ain't complaining about the ride. Hell it's gotten way better with just a new set rough country's mediocre front shocks. I just like exploring all possible ways to make the ride as good as possibel. The air bags were something I had heard of, thought they were pretty much for towing only, but just wanted to make sure. I do think I'm just going to get a set of Bilsteins all the way around, put the Centramatic wheel balancers on all 4's and call it a day (as far as suspension and chassis mods go anyways).