6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Plow Recommendations

Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Scorpion2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plow Recommendations

Does anyone have a recommendation for a plow for the 2011 F250 SD? Should I go with an 8 foot V? Also, I'm looking for a good source to purchase it. I'm in Northern VA. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
greggara
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all depends on what kind of property you are plowing. If you are plowing driveways nothing larger than 8 foot.

As far as a v-blabe, I can only see them being needed for parking lots.

I only use Fisher based on past reliablility and parts availability.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Tried to reply earlier but site wouldn't allow me to post! As there are Ford, GM, Chevy and Dodge guys, there are Boss, Sno-Way, Myers, Fisher and Western guys. I have been a long time Myers plow guy and have been happy with the performance and lack of maintenance issues I have encountered. That said, if I need a part quickly, it is not easy for me to get one (I live in the mid Atlantic area and the closest dealer who stocks parts is 50 miles away).

I have been entertaining a V blade from Fisher for my new truck. As was stated above, if you are doing just driveways, an 8'+ straight blade is fine. I do a lot of driveways and neighborhood streets(they don't plow sub developments where I live). A V or an extended blade really helps with the cleanup on streets that are cul de sacs. The V is also great if you need to plow through drifts or have deep snow and want to clear an opening and then come back and push back the sides. What is funny is that I usually clear the main driveways with the big truck and come back with a Jeep Wrangler to do the turned garages.

As for size, most of these companies have an EZ Match that will tell you how much blade your truck will handle and also how much ballast is needed in the rear. You will need to know whether your front axle is 5600 or 6000.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Scorpion2
Junior User
Thanks! Good info. I have the snow plow prep option on the truck. So I know I have the heavier springs. Where are you? I'm in No Va by Dulles Airport.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:29 AM
jayman2
Junior User
Originally Posted by Scorpion2
Does anyone have a recommendation for a plow for the 2011 F250 SD? Should I go with an 8 foot V? Also, I'm looking for a good source to purchase it. I'm in Northern VA. Thanks!
I just installed a western 8.5 pro plus on mine without any problems , i went with western because of their mounting system for the 2011 and the wiring for the lights and plow itself all use factory connections so everything is pretty much plug and play without any splicing into the factory harnesses .

Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Scorpion2
Junior User
Do you know if Western is the only manufacturer that is plug in play?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Scorpion2
Thanks! Good info. I have the snow plow prep option on the truck. So I know I have the heavier springs. Where are you? I'm in No Va by Dulles Airport.
You're welcome! I am in Delaware. Interesting place for snow... Usually we get less than 30 inches but last year we got 75. Most of my plowing has been done in upstate New York where I lived for years. There, we usually got 130 to 160 inches each year.

I saw your other question on quick disconnects. Most of the blade makers have some sort of what they call "EZ connect". Meyers is using a hydraulic system to pull the blade on. Fisher & Western are owned by the same company and their systems are exactly the same. It does require you drive into the plow to align the connection point to the truck hitch. Not hard but you do need to be aligned a bit. Boss's system is a little different but like the rest, designed to help get the blade on easier. I grew up in the day when this stuff mounted manually (i.e. you hooked the chain on the pump, pulled the blade up a bit and then swiveled it in position while wrestling to get the pins in). They have come a long way.

You do want to buy a brand that is supported locally. Nothing worse than being in a storm and have a hose blow out and you can't get the replacement locally.

One other word of caution. Whomever you decide to do the blade installation, make sure you look at examples of their work. I have seen way too many shoddy installations. These include running the wires through the firewall without rubber grommets, running wiring over hot parts of the engine, drilling holes into your dash poorly and crappy electrical connections to the battery.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Scorpion2
Junior User
Thanks again! I'm not sold on the idea of buying a plow quite yet, but sure wouldn't mind having it if we see another insane winter. Another question, any real advantage of a joystick vs a handheld?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 AM
fatheadon1
Junior User
im in the plow market my self and iv been talking to Jim from Snow & Ice Control Equipment they sell almost all brand plows and a lot of people on plowsite,com have good things 2 say about them. as for what plow 8 or 8.5 straight would do just fine imo a vplow is only needed if your area gets a lot of snow but where we are from we dont get a lot and most of us are out after 3or4 inch rendering a v plow no more usefull. as for brand i have run western on my past trucks and plan 2 on my 2011 mainly for the fact the mount is barly visable onec you pull 2 pins and take the pockets off durning the summer and western makes a hell of a plow, if my truck was a fulltime work truck id give boss a shot because iv hear nothing but good things about them but their mount is just huge and i perfer to not look at it year round because it keeps my mind on snow we dont get.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Joysticks are usually mounted on the dash and fairly straight forward to use (kind of like a remote control with all the control on 1 stick). I prefer the control pads. At least oin the Meyers they give you an indicator that you are floating the blade.

Speaking of... the difference between Boss and most if not all the rest is the way they raise and lower the blade. On Meyers, Fisher and Western, they use a chain hoist. the nice thing about this setup is that if you were to lose hydraulics (i.e. can't lift the blade), you drive the blade into a snow bank and it will ride up. You get out, take the slack out of the chain and the blade is off the ground. Unless Boss has changed their design, they use a hydraulic ram. If it fails, the blade stays on the ground.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are just doing driveways I recommend a straight blade. My obs 7.3 had a snow way and I loved having downpressure. It makes a huge difference backdragging. My superduty has an older western uni mount pro and I can't complain but I really miss downressure. I also recommend spending the little extra on a poly or stainless moldboard. No sanding/scraping and painting every winter. As for safety most use the lift chain in case the hydraulics fail but plows with down pressure use a collar around the ram so the plow doesn't drag on the ground in case of failure

Old 11-18-2010, 06:57 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
I'm a Fischer guy all the way. Easy to install/uninstall. Rugged. As far as length get the 8 ft at least because when it's angled you won't be as wide as your wheels and will be packing down the snow,etc.
I use just a 8ft. HD blade. MM2. There must be a market for a V blade but I can't see it for me. More money, parts,etc.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:07 AM
2kmelat
Junior User
I have a western v-plow on my 08 and its going on my new truck. its really easy to hook up and the controler is realy nice. I beat the hell out of mine, I call it my little dozer blade. (most of my plowing is in the wood so I can tell you that its a tough plow.)

Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Jcbuch
Junior User
Originally Posted by jayman2
I just installed a western 8.5 pro plus on mine without any problems , i went with western because of their mounting system for the 2011 and the wiring for the lights and plow itself all use factory connections so everything is pretty much plug and play without any splicing into the factory
harnesses .
Did you have to cut into the plastic airdam to mount the plow? And pictures?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 PM
jayman2
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jcbuch
Did you have to cut into the plastic airdam to mount the plow? And pictures?
I did take off the plastic air dam , i think it makes the truck look so much better, if you wanted though it can be put back on but would have to be notched in 2 places .

I'll take pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by jayman2; 11-18-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plow Recommendations