Did I make A mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 PM
allwthrrider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I make A mistake?

I have a 1967 F250 that I'm putting a FE 390 into, since I don't have the time to rebuild it myself I decided to let the local High School auto shop class do it with close supervision from the shop teacher, nothing radical just want a good reliable motor for my truck, what are your thoughts?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Argess
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know. A lot of people go to the university to have dental students work on their teeth.

Stock rebuild? Probably be fine, although an oil leak or two might be expected.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The proof of the puddin' is in the eating.

You could always tear down and inspect the work before firing it up.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be alright. Back in high school, I was one of those guys doing the work... For the most part, we worked on the instructors ride (a 68 Jeep commander with a 350 gm) or friends of his or the parts delivery fleet trucks. We never had anything come back.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well whats done is done..you cant un-ring a bell... But personally I think I would have looked for a trade school, Vocational school or even a Community college...Before a high school.. the kids in the school might be able to work on the ricers..and unless the Instructor is an Old fart like me..He himself has probably only seen FE's in old Smithsonion Issues ! good Luck ! Keep us posted..

Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM
allwthrrider
Senior User
Just by guessing I would say the instructor is in his early to mid 50's and sounded like he was familiar with the FE's

Old 11-25-2010, 01:26 PM
wagonerkl
Senior User
When I was in HS (a million years ago), I had all my work done by classmates in Auto Shop. Everything from valve jobs to total rebuilds: never had a problem. Lets face it, basic engine rebuilds are cook-book. If you have the correct equipment and follow the procedure it will turn out fine. AND, you are giving the kids something to learn on. That should be worth something.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Argess
Laughing Gas
Well? What progress has been made? Still think it's a mistake, or still unsure?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:46 PM
allwthrrider
Senior User
Update, motors apart all cylinders mic out to factory specs but rings were shot in a couple cylinders { must be where my oil loss was} took block to machine shop & they confirmed the cylinder wear, going to bore .020 over go with new pistons and Moly rings, Heads are done and were in good shape nothing serious ,Students have the other parts sandblasted for me so while their off for 2 weeks going to try and get everything painted.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM
allwthrrider
Senior User
Just found out today that the machine shop thinks someone used scotch brite with a grinder on the block so now I need to have the block decked

Old 01-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Argess
Laughing Gas
Oh well....maybe the 10 thou will give you a little Hp boost......

Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
wagonerkl
Senior User
Okay, I'll bite...What does ScotchBrite do to the block deck. It seems to me that would have a very mild if any effect on it unless someone REALLy tried to cause damage. Did they give a measurement for the difference? I am not pretending to know anything here, just trying to learn what other people know. Thanks.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM
allwthrrider
Senior User
He said that the scotchbrite removed metal, The machinist sprayed graphite on the block then ran a file lightly across it & you could see the high spots, felt it was enough to worry about gasket sealing properly

Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
Update, motors apart all cylinders mic out to factory specs but rings were shot in a couple cylinders { must be where my oil loss was} took block to machine shop & they confirmed the cylinder wear, going to bore .020 over go with new pistons and Moly rings, Heads are done and were in good shape nothing serious ,Students have the other parts sandblasted for me so while their off for 2 weeks going to try and get everything painted.
If they don't have hardened valve seats, for unleaded fuel, nows the time to do them.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 AM
wagonerkl
Senior User
My book says,"If deck warpage exceeds .003 inches in any 6 inch span, or .006 in total, then the block deck must be machined flat." I would assume this means a gasket can effectively fill up to those variations WITHOUT machining. I am NOT a machinist...I just find it odd/entertaining that you can get so many different "RIGHT" answers when you ask different machinists.

Quick Reply: Did I make A mistake?