Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Exchanging side mirrors - Has anyone Done it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Winstonater
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exchanging side mirrors - Has anyone Done it?

I have a 1993 F350 crew cab (just purchased). It has the side mirrors with the triangular extension arms. Previous owner was pulling horse trailers. However, I'm looking to install side mirrors without the extension support arms. Ones with the chrome and it just looks sleeker and less intrusive.

Has anyone ever done this?
If so, is there a replacement where the movement of the mirrors are done manually?
I'm assuming the bottom bracket holes from the previous mirror holder has to be plugged or can it be supplied?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you wanna go from the ones in the 1st picture to the one in the second picture? or the ones from the first picture to the third picture? or the ones from the second picture to the ones in the third picture?

the second and third are factory mirrors, the 1st one is called a tripod mirror. the third one is a pita to install because you have to drill a hole in your door about 2" for the support shaft and it has 2 screws inside the door panel that it secures to. if your doors are just so so, your better off exchanging them for a better set of doors with those mirrors in them. if you can find one in the wrecking yard, take some measurements on exactly where that big *** hole needs to be. they are factory 92-97 mirrors.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
oh, and almost every mirror you find will be manually adjusted, especially if its the stainless steel mirrors, those didnt come power. the black ones are hit and miss on them being power.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Winstonater
New User
Originally Posted by oreocreaming
you wanna go from the ones in the 1st picture to the one in the second picture? or the ones from the first picture to the third picture? or the ones from the second picture to the ones in the third picture?

the second and third are factory mirrors, the 1st one is called a tripod mirror. the third one is a pita to install because you have to drill a hole in your door about 2" for the support shaft and it has 2 screws inside the door panel that it secures to. if your doors are just so so, your better off exchanging them for a better set of doors with those mirrors in them. if you can find one in the wrecking yard, take some measurements on exactly where that big *** hole needs to be. they are factory 92-97 mirrors.

Ahhh.....looks like I'm going to have some problems cos' I'm trying to go from the second picture to the thrid picture. I'll live with my second pictured mirrors. Thanks for the update.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
heres my truck with them. they do look good, a little less vision with them but it just depends if you wanna take the time and effort to make it happen. ill show you some pictures of the holes when i get home. you can kinda get an idea if you look at the 1st pic i posted. the holes is right below the post on the wing window.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
axe_handle
Senior User

NICE LOAD!!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:05 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
that frickin desoto weighed a TON. Think it was 6k lbs. Big ol hemi in there too

Old 11-11-2010, 04:33 PM
ah1988
Senior User
I love my big stainless steel mirros like the ones in the first pic. oreo posted, except for when i go down skinny two lane roads my truck is a dually so it is even more of a challenge !

Old 11-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Coalroller
Posting Guru
along with what oreo said about the mirrors in the third pic and the support shaft it is a pita i second that but if you want to go to power mirrors youll have to get the inner door panel from on that has them and the wiring to go with it... i went from pic 3 to pic 2 the small ones are nice untill you start pullin trailers than you viewing window sucks lol

Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts

the second and third are factory mirrors, the 1st one is called a tripod mirror. ...
Little correction, the first style you call "tripod" mirrors also came factory. Ford called them "swingout recreational" mirrors. Although seeing as they have 4 struts, they're not really tripods (but the same style).

I have them on my truck and like ah1988, I also love them. They are great for trailers, and you can fold them in so they don't stick out as much, plus they're nicely sized so you can really see whats going on. I actually leave them out all the time and with one of those stick on round spots, there is basically no blind spot to worry about.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:23 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking for full-size tow mirrors, I'm not sure what their called, they mount below the window, and above it kinda semi style, with the convex? (the protruding ones) mirrors at the bottom of them. I saw them on a obs powerstroke, and I'm pissed I didn't take a photo of it, I've been looking to get a pair since...

Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Little correction, the first style you call "tripod" mirrors also came factory. Ford called them "swingout recreational" mirrors. Although seeing as they have 4 struts, they're not really tripods (but the same style).

I have them on my truck and like ah1988, I also love them. They are great for trailers, and you can fold them in so they don't stick out as much, plus they're nicely sized so you can really see whats going on. I actually leave them out all the time and with one of those stick on round spots, there is basically no blind spot to worry about.
your close, the ones i have arent the same as the factory ones. my truck came with the mirrors your speaking about, they are a little shorter arms and different screw holes. ive got those holes in my door still, got the holes from the #3 photo and the holes from my #1 photo lol.
heres the pic regarding the OP..... this is the hole your gonna need for the #3 pic

Old 11-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Winstonater
New User
Thanks to All - I'm sticking to picture #2 Original

Well it's a choice between looks and functionality.....and I choose picture #2. I must say that Oreocreaming has the best color for a crew cab - white with the sleek side mirrors.

Thanks for all your input.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Fordn
New User
How did you change them

Originally Posted by Coalroller
along with what oreo said about the mirrors in the third pic and the support shaft it is a pita i second that but if you want to go to power mirrors youll have to get the inner door panel from on that has them and the wiring to go with it... i went from pic 3 to pic 2 the small ones are nice untill you start pullin trailers than you viewing window sucks lol
How did you go about changing the mirrors from the 3rd picture to the 2nd. I like the way the 2nd look and I'm not sure if there is a specific one I need to get please help

Old 03-18-2016, 12:32 AM
Johnny L
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SnuffthePunkz
I've been looking for full-size tow mirrors, I'm not sure what their called, they mount below the window, and above it kinda semi style, with the convex? (the protruding ones) mirrors at the bottom of them. I saw them on a obs powerstroke, and I'm pissed I didn't take a photo of it, I've been looking to get a pair since...
they are commonly called west coast mirrors. i know they came stock on some bumpsides. possibly other years too.

Quick Reply: Exchanging side mirrors - Has anyone Done it?