6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Adding Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 AM
rljett
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just found a few more threads on upgrading to the factory visor with the factory installed Lear Car2U system. It seems there are two connectors on the wire harness in the truck headliner...the visors w/o the opener use a round connector and the visors with the opener use a square...and that both exist up in the headliner? Is that right? So you need to pull down a hidden square connector for the new visor which may have switched power for the opener?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just installed the visor and there was no second connector that I could find. The standard visor with the lighted mirror and the visor with the built in garage door opener both have the same connector. The garage door opener operates whether or not the key is on......the circuit is not switched. From what I hear this is the way it is if you order it from the factory or add it later.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:10 AM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
I've added it to both my 08 and now my 11, easy as pie - about a 5 minute install.
uses the power connecter the that vanity mirror uses, and is powered all the time.
super easy to program also.

only thing I don't understand is why its not part of the Lariet package....

Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 AM
rljett
Junior User
Thanks Dr. T and shadowSVT. Disappointing to hear the opener is powered all the time. Wonder why Ford did this. This means anyone can smash your window, push the button and they are in your garage, possibly in your home. All of the homelink systems in my other cars have been switched for this reason. Maybe I'll have to buy the himelnk module off ebay for $25 and wire it in myself.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Wynbr00k
Freshman User
looking to do the same... does anyone have any part numbers? do not understand why not part of lariat either, especially the ultimate package.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by rljett
Thanks Dr. T and shadowSVT. Disappointing to hear the opener is powered all the time. Wonder why Ford did this. This means anyone can smash your window, push the button and they are in your garage, possibly in your home. All of the homelink systems in my other cars have been switched for this reason. Maybe I'll have to buy the himelnk module off ebay for $25 and wire it in myself.
Hmmmm. I will check mine tomorrow morning, but mine works until I take key out and open the door (like it does for the radio). Job 2 truck.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 PM
rljett
Junior User
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Hmmmm. I will check mine tomorrow morning, but mine works until I take key out and open the door (like it does for the radio). Job 2 truck.
Looking forward to your findings. A friend of mine has the same truck I do, but hers has the opener. I opened her door and pushed the buttons on her visor and they lit up. Not sure if this means it is powered and would open a garage door if in the vicinity, but there was no key in when I did this.

When you check, can you see if your buttons light up when pushed both when the key is in and not? And of course, does the door open with the key in and not.

FWIW, my visor vanity light is powered all the time, so not sure if that is an indicator of what my turck would do with an opener.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Looking forward to your findings. A friend of mine has the same truck I do, but hers has the opener. I opened her door and pushed the buttons on her visor and they lit up. Not sure if this means it is powered and would open a garage door if in the vicinity, but there was no key in when I did this.

When you check, can you see if your buttons light up when pushed both when the key is in and not? And of course, does the door open with the key in and not.

FWIW, my visor vanity light is powered all the time, so not sure if that is an indicator of what my turck would do with an opener.
Analysis complete...

Scenarios:

1) Door unlocked with key fob, key not in ignition. Opener worked.
2) Door unlocked, entered truck, locked truck with key fob. Key out of ignition. Opener worked.
3) Door unlocked, key in ignition, turned to on, turned to off, key removed and door opened. Opener worked.
4) Door unlocked, key in ignition, window opened, key removed, door opened and closed. Opener worked.
5) Door left unlocked. No key in ignition, truck left to soak for 15 minutes. Opener did NOT work.
6) Truck locked with window opened. truck left to soak 15 minutes. Opener did NOT work.

SO.... I believe there is some sort of timer used to disable power to the opener. It is 15 minutes or less in length but it did shut off power to it. Thinking back about my earlier comment. I remember coming back to the truck reaching in the window to open my bay. Didn't work, so my assumption is that the key had to be in the ignition.

Nicely done Ford.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Cool, I'll have to check it tonight

Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Analysis complete...

Scenarios:

2) Door unlocked, entered truck, locked truck with key fob. Key out of ignition. Opener worked.
3) Door unlocked, key in ignition, turned to on, turned to off, key removed and door opened. Opener worked.
4) Door unlocked, key in ignition, window opened, key removed, door opened and closed. Opener worked.
5) Door left unlocked. No key in ignition, truck left to soak for 15 minutes. Opener did NOT work.
6) Truck locked with window opened. truck left to soak 15 minutes. Opener did NOT work.

SO.... I believe there is some sort of timer used to disable power to the opener. It is 15 minutes or less in length but it did shut off power to it. Thinking back about my earlier comment. I remember coming back to the truck reaching in the window to open my bay. Didn't work, so my assumption is that the key had to be in the ignition.

Nicely done Ford.
Nice work. This is good to know. It's probably tied to the power off command that all accessories get. Like when the radio shuts off 10 mins after engine shut dow. Done that many time while eating lunch with the radio on.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Nice work. This is good to know. It's probably tied to the power off command that all accessories get. Like when the radio shuts off 10 mins after engine shut dow. Done that many time while eating lunch with the radio on.
Isn't this truck like Rubic's Cube? Just when you got one side all figured out, the rest isn't!!??

Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Hmmmm..........let the truck sit all night unlocked. This morning opened the door and tried the garage door opener, it worked fine. Weird.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Dr. T
Hmmmm..........let the truck sit all night unlocked. This morning opened the door and tried the garage door opener, it worked fine. Weird.
I think it is working as designed. If you had left the window opened and reached in, it should not have worked. By opening the door, you had reactivated the circuit.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 PM
rljett
Junior User
Analysis complete...

Scenarios:

Nicely done Ford.
Thanks so much for performing the analysis. I guess that explains why when I opened the door on my friends truck the opener buttons lit up the LEDs...circuit was reactivated. Before I invest in the visor I'll try your test with my vanity mirror. I assume that should not power after the delay too.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Thanks so much for performing the analysis. I guess that explains why when I opened the door on my friends truck the opener buttons lit up the LEDs...circuit was reactivated. Before I invest in the visor I'll try your test with my vanity mirror. I assume that should not power after the delay too.
Ah, another experimenter! I am willing to bet that it won't work after 15 minutes either. I'm sure it is tied into that same circuitry that shuts off the interior lights when you leave the door open too long. I remember that happening when I was running wires for the Recon light bars.

Quick Reply: Adding Homelink