1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

upper control arm with height sensor

Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 AM
flatheadshoals
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upper control arm with height sensor

Decided to replace front shocks on the 97 4WD Expedition with new when I was startled to see my driver's side upper control arm looked original, although records indicate I paid to replace it and the right side four years ago. The passenger side is clearly aftermarket, so it was replaced. I'll hash it out with the tire store later.

It'll be interesting to see what the store has to say years later, but the cracks in the bushings and the rust on the control arm tell a good story and I have the receipts. I just can't believe I did not notice that until now!

As far as online parts are concerned, I'm not finding the driver's side upper control arm for vehicles equiped with the load leveling system. The arm on the driver's side has a bracket for the height sensor. All the parts I see online say they are not for the "air suspension" models. Where do I find it?

Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try Rock Auto they have a good selection of suspension parts, good service and discounts for members. Just mention FTE. They are a sponsor here.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:42 AM
flatheadshoals
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I called Rock Auto as suggested. Great people...they actually went to the extent of calling various manufacturers to see what parts were recommended for the left upper control arm when the vehicle is equipped with the air load leveling system (LLS).

They found what I did. No aftermarket parts were available for that application. They suggested I call Ford which I did. Ford told me there was no such distinction with Motorcraft parts. The original bracket for the Height Sensor would simply be bolted onto the new Motorcraft control arm, but it might not fit well if attached to an aftermarket part (I don't see why not).

Apparently the tire store I went to four years ago found the same thing and they actually went to Ford for the left side and used Moog for the right! The Motorcraft part has a grease fitting(which mine does) which is included (but not installed) on the new parts. I read on this site that the originals did not have fittings.

The Ford dealer told me the finish is not great on the Motorcraft parts...the aftermarket parts have black paint...so that's why the left is rusty and the right is not yet! As for the cracks in the bushings, the dealer suggested Moog may have a better quality rubber that held up better.

I checked the part in question and it has no detectable play so I guess it was replaced. Mystery solved I suppose!

This is a Great site. Thanks for the help.