Cold Start=White Smoke - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Start=White Smoke

Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Freshman User

F250TruckR is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cold Start=White Smoke

My '02 PSD takes a few cranks in the cold weather, but when it starts, a huge puff of white smoke fires out of the exhaust, then a little blue smoke for a min or two, then everything is normal. Is this normal for these trucks? I live in mo and right now its in the high 30's, low 40's
Old 10-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Elder User

Diesel 724 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just had the same question. Check this out.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...f-the-day.html

You may want to check and make sure ALL your glow plugs are working.
It may be a possibility your injector o-rings are letting oil settle in the cylinder causing blue smoke on the start if it dosent smoke blue at any other time.

But yes, White smoke is normal to an extent if you understand what i mean. A puff or so is normal but if it blows it out in large big clouds for like a half hour (example of an extreme) then its not normal.

Hope this helps you.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Post Fiend

Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
It's time again this year for all the "white smoke" and "why does my truck idle up & sound like a jet" threads.....

And yes, it's probably the GPR..... A little white smoke when it's cold is okay, but not too much.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Elder User

Izzy who does mine sound like a jet? Its like, like, like really loud and goes "psshhhhhhhhh" until i touch the fuel pedal." Does that mean it really is a jet and i could like fly if i want to? Cause that would be like, real cool! I really want it to pop wheelies though. Does your truck fly and pop wheelies?

If it does can you help me make mine do it? I hear the jet noise is really your muffler bearings going bad. And that that is caused by a malfunctioning canooter valve.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:29 PM
New User

fred258 is starting off with a positive reputation.
still confused

Hello fellas I am new as you can see by my post count so take it easy on me.
Ok at the risk of being the butt of your jokes I need help so here it goes...

I recently purchased a 1999 F250 with a 7.3 psd. When the temps get below 50 overnight I always have to turn the key and wait for the wait light to go out at least 2 times. This morning temp was under 40 and it took 4 times before it would start. I have not seen any light that says glowplug only the wait light. Also sometimes get the tone after the light goes out but not always I guess this is a sound tone to tell me it is ok to try to start? I have read about the oil change reccomendations and plan to purchase Rotella T6 this week. I will get the filter at the same time. I am wondering should I change the fuel filter also? I get 12-13 mpg around town and when I am towing my travel trailer only 10mpg. Is there anything I can do to improve this? The trailer weighs about 7500-8000lbs, no lack of power I looked down at the speedometer as I passing some yuppie in their accura and I was hitting 78 and did not even realize. When I bought the truck I was told it was getting an average of 20 mpg I realize this was just a load of bs and was not worried as I did not buy the truck for mpg's. It is an auto trans that is a replacement Jasper brand.

I realize I covered alot here but I was trying to get it all out so it may help with your answers.

Yes I have read post concerning the hard starts and the white smoke but I am still not sure this is the same thing perhaps you owners with more experience will know...

Thanks Fred

ps. I promise whatever you teach I will try to pass on to others so it will decrease all the...

It's time again this year for all the "white smoke" and "why does my truck idle up & sound like a jet" threads.....
Old 10-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Post Fiend

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Fred,

The colder it is the longer the GPR will operate, up to 2 minutes. The WTS light is just a timer and does not reflect how long the GPR is operated. The colder it is the longer you should wait after turning on the key. You do not have to re-cycle the key unless it is still in the on position after the GPR has released. My rule of thumb in sub 40 temps using T6 is to wait atleast another 20 seconds to start after the WTS light goes out. You will have to learn through experience how long you should wait. The T6 will shorten the wait given the same outside temps.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Post Fiend

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy351 View Post
You got that right Joe.

Whatever happened to the "cold sart" sticky that used to be at the top of this section?

Edit: Just found the link HERE
Old 10-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Post Fiend

Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
For the record, I wasn't making fun of anyone- just a little levity....
Old 10-31-2010, 12:25 AM
Elder User

Ditto. Still no one reads the 2nd post. It has a valuable link.

I was referencing to Izzys post sir. Not at all saying that is how i think of you. Remember Im the one who started the first post. I was in your shoes about a month ago!