1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

tilt front end on a 51

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Dale, et al... I'm still working on mine and still disappointed. My article stopped with the mounting of the front flip... now we are starting to mount the lower fender portions to the cab..

to back up a little... we had to cut all the bracing out of the flip ...it force the hood sides out away from the cab and the fit was horrible. it's much more suitable now and I haven't decided whether or not more/some bracing will be put back in.

The lower fenders were as much if not more trouble than the hood. We've had to build up the mounting flanges of the lower fenders to match the contour of the cab and to fit up properly with the edge of the hood. Even they they were cut from that piece to begin with... I don't have the pictures out of the camera yet... but I'll post when I do.

Once we added about 1/2" of filler (kitty hair f.g.) and blocked it down smooth we got a reasonably good match up on the cut line... a little more massaging and top plate addition to come.

I'm going to update the article in the future as I get time/pictures... but it's my feeling now that tilted metal isthe way to go if you have good sheet metal... mine was rough and that was the reason for the Fairlane hood...

my glass guru assures me with enough time and patience we can get it to look really good... I've seen some nice ones so I'm hopeful... we'll see

john

Old 10-01-2011, 09:18 AM
1tuftrk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Wasn't gonna say a word!

There have been a few threads about the full front tilts. Here's the thread to a recent one:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...t-ideas-2.html

Epp has his, and John Niolon has one and a great write up about the fairlane at:

going full tilt - installing a fairlane tilt front end on a '53 f-100

I also have an extensive write up on how mine was done, lessons learned and tons of photo's.

I'll send it if you like.

One member seemed to think some of the Fairlane guys broke off and are still doing this for a different company now - but I'm not 100% sure of that or who they would be.

If you can weld a little, you can make your own and it's pretty easy. The full front tilt REALLY makes working on your engine and front end stuff a real breeze! Plus, like epp said, it's just completely cool!

Here's a picture:

Attachment 29102
Great photo, I have a 52 ford f1 and will take any and all info you could provide with on the full tilt front end. Thanks Jim jbr@tnt21.com

Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 AM
epp
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Julie's document, pics ect saved from the email she sent me on it. If you want a copy, pm me your email address and I will be happy to pass it on to you. Take all the BS outta things, sharing info is what this site is about. She shared it with me, I'm glad i saved a copy, maybe it will help the next person in line....

Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 AM
1tuftrk
New User
tilt front end

Thank you for the quick response. I am currently working a contract in Ontario Canada, but my truck is located in Tallahassee Florida. I am currently assembling parts. Have a bored and stroked 276 flathead and am looking at a driveline from Modern driveline. My email is jbr@tnt21.com.
Thanks Jim

Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Grandpa-50
New User
Originally Posted by epp
I have Julie's document, pics ect saved from the email she sent me on it. If you want a copy, pm me your email address and I will be happy to pass it on to you. Take all the BS outta things, sharing info is what this site is about. She shared it with me, I'm glad i saved a copy, maybe it will help the next person in line....
I'd like to get a copy at JuliesDocument@hoppi.org
I was looking for a way to PM you directly but have not found a way.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:29 PM
myblu52
New User
Julie could you please send me a copy of your write up on the tilt front end
I'm hoping you get this cause this is an old thread
myblu52

Old 11-12-2015, 07:40 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't hold your breath for Julie to respond...

Old 11-12-2015, 08:34 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am certainly not Julie, but how about this. The first two are my '52. This will only work on '51 and '52. The second is 48steel's on his 48.

Attached Images    
Old 11-12-2015, 08:36 PM
myblu52
New User
Thanks for your response New her but have been pokeing around her for the last10 years
Did she leave the forum
Ive been reading her theads on the tilt frontend
Its something Ive been planing on, would like her input

Old 11-12-2015, 08:52 PM
myblu52
New User
That's nice work Topmoo
I have a 51 that I been working on since the beginning of the year
I have had a passion for these trucks for over 40 years
had a few in my 20's

Old 11-13-2015, 08:36 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by myblu52
Thanks for your response New her but have been pokeing around her for the last10 years
Did she leave the forum
Ive been reading her theads on the tilt frontend
Its something Ive been planing on, would like her input
Julie/Dan was banned from the forum some time ago (twice) for not playing nice. It's a long complex story and leave it there.
I have a copy of his/her write up somewhere on my computer, but it is not comprehensive nor impressive. IIRC Bolted front doghouse together (Be sure to use spacers to maintain original hood gap), used simple hardware store barn door hinges on frame horns. Can't remember what was done with the fenders to clear cowl sides or to latch/secure it if anything? I'll look for it when I get a chance.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:35 AM
casper1999
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
Check out my buddy's 53. He and his son are doing all the work themselves.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:45 AM
casper1999
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzH...b1E/view?pli=1

I know it's not a 51 but worth mentioning I think

Old 11-14-2015, 07:22 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I found Julie/Dan's write up, and IMHO it is rather crudely done and very incomplete, even after being updated. If you PM me your email addy (click on my user name at the top of this post, select send PM from the drop down menu) I will send you a copy of the PDF. Note 1: the 48-52 front clip and the 53-56 front clip are quite different with different issues. Note 2: unless you leave out the inner fender panels like in Casper's friends truck, the flip up front end doesn't allow much better access to the engine than just the hood, especially if you have a front distributor like most Ford engines. If you leave out the inner fender panels your engine is going to get mighty dirty and possibly flooded out if driven in the rain. Note 3: the steel front clip is quite heavy, and unless you use $$$ linear actuators to open, will require 2 people to open/close. Note 4: When open the front clip make an excellent sail in even a light wind, making opening/closing an even more "interesting" exercise, and if not well secured may end up ripped off and/or damaged. Note 5: guiding/latching the clip securely in place will require some creative engineering. It's not a simple project, be sure you are up for all the fabrication, modifications, and engineering needed for what is basically IMHO a "for show" mod before jumping in.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:44 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by casper1999
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzH...b1E/view?pli=1

I know it's not a 51 but worth mentioning I think
Casper, that's a nice looking truck, but I don't see any provision for finishing off the significant "hole" there will be between the lower part of the cowl and the fender that they cut off the fenders to clear the cowl, or provisions for the lower rear of the fenders to clear/guide/secure them to the front of the running boards. My panel had a flip front end on it when purchased by the PO before me. After struggling with the problems it had, he had it converted back to near OEM installation. Unfortunately several of the OEM pieces had been cut/modified (inner and outer fenders, wind deflectors, support rods, rear fender to cowl mounts, etc) I have had to repair/restore/replace a lot of the damage so it would all fit and operate as designed.

Quick Reply: tilt front end on a 51