1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 03:41 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Does the SHO *on* the trailer even clear the door header of your garage?
it certainly doesn't look like the truck could.

My back hurts just thinking about pulling a winch out of a hole in the ground.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:18 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,172 Likes on 1,844 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk

A small light weight winch and just use 1 or 2 pulleys to use 2 or 3 lines and you could move a lot more weight.

I do like the thought of a hole (pipe) in the floor and mount the winch or other "tools" on a pipe & plate if needed that would fit inside the floor pipe.
Dave ----

Old 04-27-2017, 05:40 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I like the idea of using the existing bolts in the foundation at the back of the wall, probably there are such bolts like this behind there:

Maybe I can hide a winch beneath the wooden step from the kitchen to the garage (which has sunken, look at the red line on the foundation for its original height):

If you have a stem wall or that is the edge of the slab below the bottom plate then just put a couple of 3/4" stud anchors in it. That way the load is straight on and uses the tensile strength of the bolt instead of a side load.

Dont put anything in the floor that isnt flush or removable. That is a pain in the *** waiting to happen and isnt practical.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 716 Likes on 576 Posts
Off-topic: Just wondering about the need for the new garage floor. Do you have Bentonite soil? Back in the mid-80s, I worked for an outfit in Denver that repaired foundation problems caused by Bentonite.

If the damage wasn't too bad, new floors in the basement and garage were all that was needed. In the worst cases, though, we'd have to lift the house and replace the entire foundation.

I mostly worked on the carpentry side, so didn't do much of the concrete work. I do remember some special techniques they used that would allow for future soil movement.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:59 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know how much stock I'm going to put into the side load Theory. I have pulled an awful lot of heavy loads through rough Terrain all at the mercy of a 5/8 hitch pin. Gary pulled big blue and all of his assessories halfway across the country with a 5/8 hitch pin side-loaded the whole way.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:41 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by bruno2
I don't know how much stock I'm going to put into the side load Theory. I have pulled an awful lot of heavy loads through rough Terrain all at the mercy of a 5/8 hitch pin. Gary pulled big blue and all of his assessories halfway across the country with a 5/8 hitch pin side-loaded the whole way.
In double shear, with no stress riser threads.
We are not commenting on the 1/2" bolt as much as the concentration of breakout force and the lack of support offered by 2" imbedment.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
In double shear, with no stress riser threads.
We are not commenting on the 1/2" bolt as much as the concentration of breakout force and the lack of support offered by 2" imbedment.
Yep. That J-bolt in the stem wall is great for vertical loads, but not for horizontal loads. But, the idea of placing anchors in the side of the stem wall and pulling straight on them is much better. Not as good as a large pipe welded into the rebar and submerged in concrete though.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:36 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Hilti or Powers (the ones that dropped the ceiling of Boston's 'Big Dig') have all the withdrawal values in their tech sheets.
For HIT200 high strength epoxy mortar...
1/2" rod 2 3/4" imbedment in 3,000 psi concrete = 3,895 withdrawal

This doesn't seem like much of a safety factor.

Maybe bigger?
Maybe deeper?

Idk, but like Chris said, he does NOT want to drill after the slab is finished.
He wants to incorporate into the pour.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
No, that isn't enough safety factor for me. I'd go with the pipe welded to the rebar idea. And if it had a way to fasten a chain in it, like maybe if it had threads and could take a 9/16" bolt to secure a chain, then I'd make it flush with the top of the floor. Maybe use a coupling that had internal threads and screw a plug into it to keep things out when it wasn't being used.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:55 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

The darn floor pot I linked to Amazon in post 18517 says 20,000# (ten ton), is set up *with* a chain *and* has a cap.
For under $40 delivered.

There are others (as I mentioned)
Some made to be poured into new floors

Old 04-27-2017, 10:01 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Sold!

Old 04-27-2017, 10:38 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by RAY1986F150
Chris just have a 3" ID steel pipe embedded into the new floor. Stick a winch on a plate and weld a pipe to the plate that will fit inside your 3" ID pipe. Drop that winch right into the pipe. Happy Winching.

Its basically a trailer hitch positioned vertically and flush to your floor. Hide it under your stairs, or put a few pipes in different places so you can winch from different angles if need be. Set the pipe 1/4" below the concrete so you have a nice place to put a round plate to cover the hole.
Whoa!!!! He speaks English, too!

Be forewarned - I haven't read past this post yet but I like this kind of thinking...

I learned I don't want an AC winch... what I WANT is a Warn BUT it won't get used enough to justify such a thing, so... maybe HF to the rescue, they have a 12,000 lb. DC-powered trailer winch for about $400, my friend Tom in France can weld & fab, my uncle Jim can find me a DC power supply for the thing, this may work.

Did a bit of searching and am presently stopping here:

12000 lb. Off-Road Vehicle Electric Winch with Automatic Load-Holding Brake

I am generally not one to push HF stuff but this type of thing may be an exception....

So, if this was bolted to a mount plate that was somehow affixed/embedded into the floor (maybe I should talk to concrete contractors) and maybe surrounding area, this could be doable and should probably be sufficient, ya think?

Old 04-27-2017, 11:06 PM
ctubutis
​​​​​​This is pretty much my 2.0 version.
My only additional thought was to elevate the winch off the floor on a readily available concrete filled column (for those concerned about the cable riding on the concrete)

More moment and less shear, but nothing insurmountable.

Yes, you would have to create a thicker pad beneath the slab and weld the pipe *socket* to the grid so it couldn't shift.
But it would get the cable off the break in pitch where the driveway enters the garage and be an absolute stop for rolling load.
I will need to think about this, this could work, too...

Old 04-27-2017, 11:16 PM
ctubutis

Hmmm..... Height-wise & length-wise, yeah, it looks like it'd fit, thanks for asking that, I never looked at this before.

The truck barely clears on its own wheels, never could that be ridden into the garage.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:31 PM
ctubutis
Wow, thanks, guys, I have to re-read all the responses and conceptualize some more but I like where this is heading.

BTW I filled up the tires in my truck today; it makes a LOT of difference when 2 kidde-corner tires are 20 lbs under-inflated, the truck gets real wonky like that. And driving the truck almost becomes fun again! Until the pinging & sticking choke get in the way. I apparently tuned it as a conservative daily driver trying to maximize fuel mileage, that has to change.

It's really grody & grungy, like it's been in a forest for 5 years; maybe pictures tomorrow.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?