6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

REPLACE YOUR FUEL FILTERS!~

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21
I personally stick with Ford products. Motocraft filters are the only ones I use. However, there is not a chance I will be buying them from the dealer. They actually tried to charge me $100 for the filter set!

When I changed my filters last, they had just over 7K miles on them. The fuel filter on the rail was absolutely filthy, however the second one under the hood looked new. The first filter really does a good job!
I bought a set of 4 fuel filter packs for $23 each.. so I have 40,000 miles of filters to go. This was before the new ones were released, but they worked fine for everyone for 3 years so they'll be fine on my truck.

Sam

Old 10-23-2010, 01:06 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Where is the best place to buy bulk filters? Oil and fuel? I figure it will be cheaper buying bulk and knowing I'll use them up than buying them when I need them. Same for oil too. Anyone know where I can get a pallet of 5qt jugs?

Old 10-23-2010, 02:42 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a Stockman Oil Co. distributor in my town where one can purchase 55gal drums of Shell products if you open an account. Try google searches around you and see what you find.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:37 PM
pyro2nite
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I buy my filters here Home - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks and the oil, Rotella 2 1/2 gallon jugs, from Wal Mart. So far the best buys I have found.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 2addy
Careful with those fuel filters! I was changing mine at every 3rd oil change and if i were to keep this truck, I would be changing them every other. These 6.4's cannot handle any lack in maintenance.
Please elaborate on how you came about this notion.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
I agree with the every other oil change and here is why...
when I had my 6.0, I would change em every 15k...they always looked decent to me. But I also got 17-19 mpg in my 6.0

now in my new 6.4 , i am only getting about 12.5 in town, and around 16 on the highway, so that being said my truck is consuming alot more fuel since its getting less mpg, less mpg over 15,000 mile = more fuel consumed hence the need for earlier changes. Granite I only have about 6, 000 miles on my 2010 but I will do my first change on the fuel filters at 10k and see how they look, if they arent bad maybe ill stretch the second set to 12,500 miles...

Old 10-31-2010, 08:46 PM
bhd
Senior User
Just finished two tanks since the replacement, and found it interesting that I picked up another 1- 1.5 mpg.

Stock at 40k miles, I was getting 11-12 city
Spartan dpf/doc delete got me up to 13-13.5

Changing the fuel filter and i'm at 15mpg city (stuck in traffic for 30 min every morning and evening)

CHANGE THE FILTERS! (Just wishing I'd seen a thread about this earlier, as I wondered if it might effect mpg)

Old 10-31-2010, 09:30 PM
2addy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biggziff
My 6.4 went through one engine and another complete fuel delivery system replacement. Warranty claims exceeded $25k (the dealer changing out the engine prior to me buying it). That dealer told me the injectors were destroyed and they said it was due to poor maintenance. I can't confirm that but my issues resulted from bad fuel, per the repairing dealership. They had to change out all fuel rails, the high pressure fuel pump, six injectors and the glow plugs. The Loves truck stop by my house had several claims on it due to a bad batch of diesel and while it was never resolved, both Ford and the dealership suspected bad fuel but they couldn't confirm so they paid the claim.

The manual says 20k for the filters but under the heavy duty schedule, it's 10k. I drive in some bad conditions (dirt roads) so dust is an issue. At 10k, my filters looked terrible. I couldn't imagine what they would like like at 20k. The senior techs who worked on my truck said to be very diligent on the filters because while the 6.4 was a good engine, lack of maintenance would kill it and then look out. I maintained my truck and it still went through a catastrophic failure. Besides, I think changing the filters is cheap insurance. Plan on spending $8k on a fuel system repair.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 AM
smartken22
Freshman User
Fuel Filters

I am wondering if my fuel filters need to be changed since my truck just started sounding like a 6.0 diesel the last few weeks. I bought my truck at 40,000mi and the dealer told me that the truck was current on its maintenance, but who knows when the last time the fuel filters were changed. The truck is at 43,000mi right now and I remember how quiet the engine used to be for a diesel. Now the thing knocks like the older diesels. Could that be the fuel filters?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:16 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by smartken22
I am wondering if my fuel filters need to be changed since my truck just started sounding like a 6.0 diesel the last few weeks. I bought my truck at 40,000mi and the dealer told me that the truck was current on its maintenance, but who knows when the last time the fuel filters were changed. The truck is at 43,000mi right now and I remember how quiet the engine used to be for a diesel. Now the thing knocks like the older diesels. Could that be the fuel filters?
I would for piece of mind, are you sure its not in regen? mine gets a little more cakle to it when its in regen.....

Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 PM
smartken22
Freshman User
Originally Posted by slowmans
I would for piece of mind, are you sure its not in regen? mine gets a little more cakle to it when its in regen.....
I know it’s not in regen. Normally I will get a message on the message center and I have the Banks IQ setup to monitor the DPF regen status as well. The knocking started off intermittently at first and now it does it all the time. It looks like I will be changing the filters here soon. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>

Old 11-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Leo99
Freshman User
At 10,000 miles my frame rail filter looked bad, My engine filter looked good. I may go every 7 to 8 thousand just to be safe. I buy fuel at a very busy Racetrack convenience store here in Fl. No fuel issues to date. Also, I buy Motorcraft filters from Ed the parts guy, $62.00 and change including shipping. Always delivered as promised.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 PM
bhd
Senior User
I know it’s not in regen. Normally I will get a message on the message center and I have the Banks IQ setup to monitor the DPF regen status as well. The knocking started off intermittently at first and now it does it all the time. It looks like I will be changing the filters here soon. fficeffice" /><o</o>>
<o</o>>
Like I said previously, I have no dpf or these regens you speak of, and mine was cackling a little bit. New filter, no cackle....

I can't believe how sensitive this big bada$$ truck is.

Fuel filter = f250 feminine side.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 PM
kat_man_2
New User
80 000KM (50 000 miles) on my truck. took it to the dealership for oil change, fuel filters, and air filter... $450!!! Over $100 just for an air filter. Felt like the new kid on cell block C.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM
smartken22
Freshman User
Bad Filters

Well, I just finished changing out my fuel filters and they were definitely dirty. Here are some pictures of the old vs. new ones. I did notice that the frame rail filter was physically different. It fit in the bowl though and they are Motorcraft filters too. The P/N on the box was FD-4617. I think they are re-designed. Total filter change cost was $73.38. My truck still sounds like an old 6.0 diesel though so I am not sure why that is. My neighbor has the same truck only newer and you can barely hear it. I checked the oil and it is at the max end of the dipstick. Not sure if that is the culprit. I still have another 2000mi till its due for a change, so should I drain some oil out through the drain plug? Sorry for the winded post.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1104001629.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1104001651.jpg

Quick Reply: REPLACE YOUR FUEL FILTERS!~