1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Just installed Headers, now check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:57 AM
specrocz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed Headers, now check engine light

I just finished installing Pacesetter (summit) shorty headers on my '99 F150 w/ the 4.6. I have 2 wheel drive and an automatic trans w/ OD. The threads on the bottom portion of the EGR pipe were damaged and I removed the pipe altogether and used plugs on the fittings where the pipe connected to the header and the EGR. I was told by the Pacesetter tech that it shouldn't cause a problem, but after about 20+ miles of driving the check engine light came on and remains on. The truck seems to be running excellent and sounds great, just don't want to be causing any damage or if the light remains on what will warn me if something else happens? I probably will get a new fitting for the pipe and re-install. Any advice or expirience in this area would be appreciated.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Lime1GT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
You'll have to read the codes but it might be an egr code or lean code if the header gaskets aren't sealing. With the cel light on you won't know if there are multiple codes unless the engine goes to limp mode with something more serious. The loss of the egr function can create higher combustion temps and engine ping.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Dave G.
Elder User
Probably running lean now, and because you removed the EGR, there will be a trouble code for that also. PCM may compensate a little for the headers, but not the EGR. Exhaust back pressure is reduced with headers, as well as restrictions in the first few inches at the cylinder head.

Check the fitting for the exhaust pipe end. Sure looks like a standard 1/2" pipe size, flare fitting. ( like for a gas line on a stove). They are about $35.00 at Ford ! $2.00 or so at box stores. No choice on the EGR pipe though, and that's another $80.00.

Dave

Old 09-18-2010, 06:47 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Replace the EGR tube and reset the computer.
You should be fine after that.
Otherwize you would have to turn off the EGR in the computer. Cant unhook it without turning it off or your light will come on like yours did.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
You got a number of wrong advices.
The header mfger reply was incorrect.
Lean codes from headers is not correct unless you introduced a gross install error etc.
You cannot remove a system such as the EGR without the PCM setting a code to that effect.
You are now missing some fuel mileage due to the EGR systerm loss.
The operation of the EGR advances the ignition, reduces fuel injection and adds exhaust gas back into the intake air supply.
This is all controlled by the PCM program you can not cancell out without a program inhibiting the ssytem operation without a code being set.
The code comes about because the PCM has a diagnostic program to test it's operation and detects the missing system as a fault by the first test attempted.

Running with the code set and inop EGR will not be normally felt in drivabiliy and does inhit the system but with a code set.
You are in violation of federal law, emission testing or not with system out of operation.
The major reason for EGR is to reduce combustion chamber temperatures, hence NX gasses from the exhaust, by fed law.
This is the info on the whole deal. What you do with it is your decision.
Good luck.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 AM
highteckredneck
Senior User
its your egr it needs to be hooked up. just be aware that if you used the gaskets that came with the headers they might blow out on you. myself and some other people had that problem. other than that, love the sound and performance gains from the headers,

Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 PM
specrocz
New User
Well I got the fitting from the dealer ($34) and with a little re-bending of the EGR tube got it all back together! I re-tourqed all the bolts and it sounds and runs even better! Thanks for the advice and I will always check here before attempting anything on my truck that I've never done.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Why did you jump the gun. You don't need that EGR tube, but you can't block it off. The EGR must see FLOW and it doesn't see FLOW when it is blocked off. You block the header side and put the tube on, but you don't connect it to the header. You can stuff some K&N foam filter material up into the tube to act as a filter when the PCM commands the EGR to open. It will open and FLOW will take place. No DTC! You will FLOW filtered fresh air not sooty tar filled exhaust gases. This is Gods way. The EPA is a tool of Satan the Devil and the EGR is one of Satans most evil machinations. Rebuke Satan by putting the tube on, but don't connect it to your header. If you had to clean those EGR passages once they get clogged with soot and tar you would know why the Lord never mentioned EGR in the Bible. Would you rather violate Gods law or mans law? This is the question you must ask yourself when you install headers on a Ford.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Why did you jump the gun. You don't need that EGR tube, but you can't block it off. The EGR must see FLOW and it doesn't see FLOW when it is blocked off. You block the header side and put the tube on, but you don't connect it to the header. You can stuff some K&N foam filter material up into the tube to act as a filter when the PCM commands the EGR to open. It will open and FLOW will take place. No DTC! You will FLOW filtered fresh air not sooty tar filled exhaust gases. This is Gods way. The EPA is a tool of Satan the Devil and the EGR is one of Satans most evil machinations. Rebuke Satan by putting the tube on, but don't connect it to your header. If you had to clean those EGR passages once they get clogged with soot and tar you would know why the Lord never mentioned EGR in the Bible. Would you rather violate Gods law or mans law? This is the question you must ask yourself when you install headers on a Ford.
Dude, you are an absolute idiot to even suggest this approach. This is wrong on so many levels, and illustrates that you have no idea how EGR works or what it is all about. If you use the EGR to circulate atmosphere into the EGR system, then every time the EGR system opens, oxygen enters the system, creating a lean condition. When the EGR valve is open, the system uses more ignition advance. Lean condition and timing advance? I can see that warping valves and melting pistons.

The idea behind ERG is to recirculate an inert gas into the intake. Since the oxygen was already mostly depleted on the first pass, the exhaust is an excellent source of inert gas. This inert gas has two effect. One, it lowers the combustion temperature, and two it slows down the burn rate. This is the same effect as high octane fuel, except you don't need high octane fuel.

The EGR system is your friend, it allows you to produce more power under a wider variety of conditions, without having to use expensive high octane fuel. The fact that it also reduces NOX emissions is a nice side effect, in fact it is the most effective way to reduce NOX without horribly detuning the engine.

So in other words, you know little of the ways of God, and quite frankly, I don't even see the relevance of your remarks, especially when you bring the deity into this without having the slightest clue what you are talking about. Come to think of it, the Lord never mentioned internal combustion or pistons in the Bible either, though there are numerous mentions of wheels. I guess to be Biblically correct, we should switch to rotary engines.

Which to further illustrate your lack of knowledge on EGR, I have never ever had to clean the EGR passages, neither have most of the other members of this forum, and almost all Ford made after 1996 have EGR valves. I imagine the only time the really plug up is when other things go wrong.

To the OP, you did the right thing hooking it back up the way it was supposed to go. It didn't cost you much, and you know that everything will work as it was designed. Bask in the knowledge that you have rebuked Satan by taking a stand against error.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
The exhaust gas may be "inert", but it is also full of tar and soot. If you had worked on as many Fords as I have you would know this. Millions of dollars have been spent over the years by Ford owners who got EGR related DTCs and mistakenly went out and bought an EGR valve or a DPFE sensor to fix the problem. Only after wasting their money did they find out that the ports in their intake manifold were clogged shut with the "inert" exhaust gas which forms a sooty tar paste like you see on the end of a cigarette filter which had passed through their EGR valve. The EPA and you apparently think the EGR is a pancea, but it has more problems than it has beefits at least on the Ford DPFE system. Ford dealerships charge north of $1,000.00 to get rid of this EGR DTC once the EGR intake manifold ports get clogged shut with "inert" soot and tar. There is enough info on clogged EGR passages on this site to write a book if you take the time to use the search feature. The sad thing is when you have Ford service your EGR it begins to clog itself back shut all over again as you drive off of the dealership lot. They of course they don't tell you this. As far as mentioning God in my post that's my way of using humor to make a point. I'm not religious, but God can be used to make people do may more sinister things than bypassing their EGR like having them fly planes into buildings full of people.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You know there is a commandment not to take the name of the Lord in vain. Lighthearted jukes are just that. If you are not religious, respect those that are and leave God out of it.

I diagree with your EGR assessment. Most EGR codes are due to the failure of the DPFE sensor. I agree, it would be nice if they had a better sensor design, but most of the time, if a good quality sensor is used, just replacing the faulty one fixes the problem. I find it very common for people to buy a new one at Napa or Autozone, then have the same code come back, then try a dealer one, and the problem is solved. Sure there are times when that is not the case and the passages need to be cleaned, but this is mostly when the O2 sensors have not been replaced, so the vehicle is running richer than it should. A clean burning engine will produce little or no soot or tar.

Replace O2 sensors every 80,000 miles and many headaches can be avoided.