Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensor Unplugged Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Plowboy34
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
O2 Sensor Unplugged Question

91 F-250, 5.8 I have replaced engine and went with long tube headers and there is no way to install O2 sensor in header (thanks Pacesetter, total disappointment with fitment) so I am going to have it put into exhaust pipe back about same location it was in stock pipe. My question is can I run engine to get everything set and ready to go to exhaust shop without the O2 sensor being hooked up without hurting anything. I may drive truck to shop also if I can about 20 miles if that would be possible. Yes I know it will be loud, I live out in the middle of no where and know most of the lawmen so that's not a problem. Also is it OK to have in just one pipe(going to be dual all the way back) or should I put in an "H" pipe as the factory did and put sensor in "H" pipe?

As for Pacesetter headers, drivers side is hitting front drive shaft so gonna have to bend whole header some how, passenger side hitting frame so gonna have to put small notch in frame. Everything I heard on Pacesetter was how great they fit...I am not impressed one bit....

Old 01-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 957 Likes on 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Plowboy34
I have replaced engine and went with long tube headers and there is no way to install O2 sensor in header
What is the problem there.. wrong angle and/or interference with something?

so I am going to have it put into exhaust pipe back about same location it was in stock pipe.
Put it as close to the engine as possible, in the header collector works well.

My question is can I run engine to get everything set and ready to go to exhaust shop without the O2 sensor being hooked up without hurting anything.
Yes no problem.

Also is it OK to have in just one pipe(going to be dual all the way back)
Yes works fine.

As for Pacesetter headers, drivers side is hitting front drive shaft so gonna have to bend whole header some how
Is this an F250 maybe or something with a solid axle? Most(if not all) longtube headers made for this vintage trucks are designed around the TTB front axle which has more driveshaft clearance.

passenger side hitting frame so gonna have to put small notch in frame
Minor frame clearancing on the passenger side isn't uncommon, had to do it on my F150s with Flowtech headers.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Plowboy34
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the problem there.. wrong angle and/or interference with something?

Cannot fit sensor between header and trans(E4OD)...was going to be able to make it work on drivers side until I realized header was hitting driveshaft and will have to bend complete header towards trans so that is out.

Put it as close to the engine as possible, in the header collector works well.

will do

Yes no problem.

excellent

Yes works fine.

again excellent

Is this an F250 maybe or something with a solid axle? Most(if not all) longtube headers made for this vintage trucks are designed around the TTB front axle which has more driveshaft clearance

yes F-250, no straight axle it is TTB, it is bone stock I know for sure.

Minor frame clearancing on the passenger side isn't uncommon, had to do it on my F150s with Flowtech headers.

yes I have no problem with frame notching I have done this on many occasions, I have notched many of frames for this reason, it's just everyone bragged about how good these headers fit and they hit everything in there path. just disappointed but it will all be ok....thanks for the help Conanski once again you have the answers that please me.