6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

PID Alert ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:46 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PID Alert ?

So I just got the update for my Insight CTS and it added a few PIDs that are actually useful. But what should I set my alerts at? Here's a list of the PIDs I have after the first update:
Accel Pedal Position
Barometric Pressure
Batter Voltage
Corrected Vehicle Speed
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Load ( still haven't figured out what this is yet)
Engine Oil Temp
Engine RPM
Engine Run Time
Injector Pulse Width (what is this and what kinda numbers should I be seeing?)
Intake Air Temp
Mass Air Flow
Trans Fluid Temp
Turbo Boost

This is what I have so far. They're supposed to be adding more though.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:21 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AndeyHall
So I just got the update for my Insight CTS and it added a few PIDs that are actually useful. But what should I set my alerts at? Here's a list of the PIDs I have after the first update:
Accel Pedal Position
Barometric Pressure
Batter Voltage
Corrected Vehicle Speed
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Oil Temp
Engine RPM
Engine Run Time
Intake Air Temp
Mass Air Flow
Trans Fluid Temp
Turbo Boost

A few of those you really won't need to look at unless you are trying to diag a problem. I would actually concentrate on more of the traditional ones that would give you a "broad feeling" of what's going on.

Now I don't know if the CTS allows you to setup up what the DashDAQ calls "global sensors" and what that really means is that the PIDs that you setup under this heading are not viewed on the gauge screen, but when you hit the datalog button those "global sensors" are recorded as well as the sensors that are on the gauge screen. That's where I would put some of those sensors as that is where they would be the most beneficial.

The ones that I would concentrate on would be ECT, EOT, TFT, Boost, Battery Voltage off that lis that you gave. I'm not trying to mitigate some of the importence of the other ones, but unless you are trying to do some problem solving, just day to day driving they aren't going to be as much benefit to you as the ones that I specifically mentioned.

As to alerts, Bismics spreadsheet(if you have it) has the listing of temps that are either temps(or whatever the reading is in) to start worrying and/or temps(readings) to be avoided. You can decide where you want to set your alerts from that.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:30 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
A few of those you really won't need to look at unless you are trying to diag a problem. I would actually concentrate on more of the traditional ones that would give you a "broad feeling" of what's going on.

Now I don't know if the CTS allows you to setup up what the DashDAQ calls "global sensors" and what that really means is that the PIDs that you setup under this heading are not viewed on the gauge screen, but when you hit the datalog button those "global sensors" are recorded as well as the sensors that are on the gauge screen. That's where I would put some of those sensors as that is where they would be the most beneficial.

The ones that I would concentrate on would be ECT, EOT, TFT, Boost, Battery Voltage off that lis that you gave. I'm not trying to mitigate some of the importence of the other ones, but unless you are trying to do some problem solving, just day to day driving they aren't going to be as much benefit to you as the ones that I specifically mentioned.

As to alerts, Bismics spreadsheet(if you have it) has the listing of temps that are either temps(or whatever the reading is in) to start worrying and/or temps(readings) to be avoided. You can decide where you want to set your alerts from that.
Yeah the CTS is set up so that you can set alert values for all PIDs and if you were to go over then, even if it's not one you're viewing all the time, it will go to a list of all PIDs and the one(s) that have gone out of the set range will be flashing red. The current setup I have now shows 5 PIDs and it's the 5 you mentioned actually. But no I don't have bismic's spreadsheets. Where can I get those?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
But no I don't have bismic's spreadsheets. Where can I get those?
PM Bismic with regard to the spreadsheets and an email address and I think he would just email them to you.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
PM Bismic with regard to the spreadsheets and an email address and I think he would just email them to you.
Sounds good. Thanks man.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When your bored the ICP can be entertaining to watch.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Wyatt66f100
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Accel Pedal Position
Barometric Pressure
Batter Voltage
Corrected Vehicle Speed
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Oil Temp
Engine RPM
Engine Run Time
Intake Air Temp
Mass Air Flow
Trans Fluid Temp
Turbo Boost

actually there are 3 redundant circuits for the accelerator position switch. so your pid depends on witch one you are plugged into. one goes from 0 to 100% and one goes from 100% to 0 and one figures out the error between the two. barometric pressure is a frequency reading that measures the desity of the air based on sea level. so that depends on how high an elevation and where you drive. 156 hz is normal for where i live. battery voltage is hard to miss should be around high 13 low 14 running. corrected vehicle speed is a mph reading. coolant temp is engine coolant temp. should be around 190-200. maybe 210 under load. engine load is a calculated value that engine is under. for example it will be under a higher load going up a hill. engine oil temp is oil temperature. should be around the same as engine coolant temperature. the difference between eot and ect should never be over 8-10 degrees indicating a bad oil cooler heat exchanger. engine rpm is engine rpm. engine run time is how long the engine has been running each key cycle. injector pulse width is how long the injector stays on. this measurement really doesnt tell you much other then gives you an idea what is going on with fuel trims. intake air temperture could be one of two sensor inputs. there are two intake air temp sensors. one after the air filter and one in the intake manifold after the egr flow. so it would be good to know witch one that is. mas air flow is a air density meter that measure the amount of air intake. in gallons per minute. trans temp is what it is. by the way the lowwer you keep your trans fluid the longer it lasts. turbo boost is a calculated value from manifold pressure and atmospheric. the difference is your boost. hope this helps.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Wyatt66f100
coolant temp is engine coolant temp. should be around 190-200. maybe 210 under load.
That's actually going to depend on where you live(both in terms of weather and in terms of topography), what(if any) tune you are running, how hard you are "pushing" the truck etc. Those factors will change dependant on rather or not the truck is loaded or unloaded, towing or not towing etc. Those aren't the only factors either. 190-200 is about average, however, it wouldn't be uncommon for an individual truck without issues to be running at 205 unloaded or even as high as 215 unloaded. 215 I might start to back off whatever I was doing, but that certainly isn't a temp to be worrying about needing a loaner truck for awhile. Also I have had normal unloaded decent drivers(more then 15 miles, but less then 100) were ECT never got above 180 during the winter.

This is where knowing your truck is going to really be needed.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Wyatt66f100
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That's actually going to depend on where you live(both in terms of weather and in terms of topography), what(if any) tune you are running, how hard you are "pushing" the truck etc. Those factors will change dependant on rather or not the truck is loaded or unloaded, towing or not towing etc. Those aren't the only factors either. 190-200 is about average, however, it wouldn't be uncommon for an individual truck without issues to be running at 205 unloaded or even as high as 215 unloaded. 215 I might start to back off whatever I was doing, but that certainly isn't a temp to be worrying about needing a loaner truck for awhile. Also I have had normal unloaded decent drivers(more then 15 miles, but less then 100) were ECT never got above 180 during the winter.

This is where knowing your truck is going to really be needed.
like i said. 190-200 unloaded around 210 loaded. thanks for correcting me and backing me up all at the same time.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 PM
jetact
Elder User
[quote=AndeyHall;9301563]So I just got the update for my Insight CTS and it added a few PIDs that are actually useful. But what should I set my alerts at? Here's a list of the PIDs I have after the first update:
Accel Pedal Position
Barometric Pressure
Batter Voltage
Corrected Vehicle Speed
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Oil Temp
Engine RPM
Engine Run Time
Intake Air Temp

quote]

I would think you have EGT on that list also. I have that on mine. Yes they are supposed to have some updates. I havent got one yet though
Mass Air Flow
Trans Fluid Temp
Turbo Boost

Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Wyatt66f100
like i said. 190-200 unloaded around 210 loaded. thanks for correcting me and backing me up all at the same time.
Yes and no on the backup. Problem is, you are stating it to matter of factly on those ranges and it isn't so. They are averages yes, but not definitive. Depending on time of year, where you are at you may never see above 180 being fully warmed up, I know I don't in the winter time. Conversely I've seen between 205 and 215 fully warmed up in the summer time unloaded and there is nothing adversely going on. Various factors also play into that. None of which maybe something going wrong with the truck.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jetact

I would think you have EGT on that list also. I have that on mine.
I don't think he would have EGT as a PID as there isn't an EGT PID for our trucks. Unless it still shows up on the list when you have the external probe.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 AM
jetact
Elder User
I don't think he would have EGT as a PID as there isn't an EGT PID for our trucks. Unless it still shows up on the list when you have the external probe.

I have an EGT probe on my CST and it shows up. Not sure if you dont have the probe if it shows up or not