1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Experience with title service companies?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:14 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Experience with title service companies?

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with title service companies, where they help get a title for vehicles with lost titles? I've done some web serching and found a few. The prices range from $300-400, which is secondary to finding a trustworthy source. One company has a very helpful website, with all the forms and instructions listed, but they don't seem to return phone calls with questions. Another wants you to sign up and send them money before they will send you the forms and instructions. A couple others just plain felt shady. With so many old cars and trucks out there with lost titles, it has to be a common problem. So if anyone has any stories, experience or recommendations, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great question...I wish I knew of one myself.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:09 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a process required by your State DMV - Spend your time and money there and be legal - It's cheaper then getting caught with an illegal vehicle.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's the best of both worlds:

Spend $47 and join the Auto Club - AAA!

They have DMV service by trained and licensed representatives from your state. The crowds and much smaller, and they are usually a little more "cheery" and motivated to help than the State DMV torture house. Plus with only three or four reps per AAA Office, you can figure out who is gonna help you out and whos the jerk - and always go to the helpful person!

Yesterday, I took my little trailer up to AAA to get the VIN checked, Title, Registration, and Temporary License Plate - the lady was super helpful and did everything I asked her to do (like show Ford as the Manufacturer rather than "Home Built" - which will allow me to keep my antique YOM plates).

She did everything, stamped it "Blah Blah Blah State of California Official" and I was in and out in 30 minutes and $43 poorer!

They also have lots of other great services too - free maps and trip planning, good insurance rates, premium memberships with unlimited towing (for you guys who are keeping your 6 volt generators) etc!

It is well worth the $47 I pay to register my (now) 4 Vehicles there each year. (With YOM plates on 3 of them you have to visit - no mail in). I highly recommend them!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:11 PM
rbig1
Senior User
i went through the dot they came out took a picture and verified the vin numbers. i had to get a 50dollar bond from insurance co. took 2.5 months then i had the title. it took longer for mine as they could not find any record of it ever being registered. never was titled after it was sold from military surplus

Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm in MN, so I don't know.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 PM
retro48/52
Senior User
I went thur International Title Service. Very friendly Very fast ( 4 weeks, start to finish ).
Filled out forms and just to be sure before I sent in forms and money, called them to ask questions of what you want to know about. Co. would have taken me 6 months and approx. $800 when all was finished.
Also just registered 52 Ford F1 with Horseless Carriage plates instead of Collectors plates. (vehicle over 50 years old)
Saved me $103 and now I can use my 52 Year of Manufacture plates. The cost is nothing after going back to DMV.
I had a good experience overall.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Lowdog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mississippi, and I think Alabama were non-title states until 1969 and 1973ish respectively. If you know anyone (relative, friend, friend of a friend etc.) who will write you a bill of sale for your vehicle who lives in that state and can get it notarized (basicly saying they sold you your truck) some states will honor a bill of sale with an ID/OD from the Highway Patrol and issue a title. If the person who writes the bill of sale doesn't charge you anything you pay whatever the tax is on the amount you said you gave for the vehicle. I just did this today for a '66 Ford F-350. The amount of the sale was $150.00. My title cost me $19.97

Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 AM
BarryB's
Junior User
I've used staab agency(google them). They are more for registering semi trailers and trucks but they also do regular cars and trucks aslong as they aren't newer than 91 I believe. Like I ssaid I've used them before several times. 76 F350 wrecker 77 MB 300D, 66 Mustang GT Fastback.
You send them a Bill of sale, and proof that you carry insurance. I'm sure the fees might be more now but it was like 100 when I've done it. They'll send you a tag, and registration. I then take the registation to your DMV, and reregister it in your state. Here in TN, they reregister it, and send me a TN title. And it is legal all the way around.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:24 AM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Keep in mind if you buy a motor vehicle without a title and however you register it and what ever voodoo you use to get a title, there was a title at one time for your truck. Who ever has that title is the true owner. If after your truck is done, they show up and have the older title they will leave with the truck. Somewhere, some place, there was once a title and owner for the truck and someplace it is still registered even though it is not an active registration.
Been there done that, as far as the 'bama, Mississippi registrations are concerned and I can promise you they are not worth the paper they are written on if someone shows up with a real title and can show they didn't sell the truck. Buddy did the broadway title company thing and got his title and about 6 months into his frame off the real owner showed up and took the car and my buddy was charged with processing a stolen truck. Part of the prosecuting thing is knowing it was stolen and the prosecutors position was he may not have knowingly pocessed a stolen vehicle but he knew he didn't own it since he had no title and applied for a 'bama title without him having true ownership to the vehicle first.Took about $3.000 in lawyer fees to stay out of jail.
Do your own thing but be aware there can be ramifications to your trying to side step the law.