1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Connected my boost leak detector at the ccv coupler, bad?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Connected my boost leak detector at the ccv coupler, bad?????

Guys, I have a couple other threads going about tracking down a boost leak, but I just had someone post on another forum that mounting the boost leak detector prior to the CCV coupler without disconnecting or plugging the CCV hose wasn't a good idea. And I quote "if you do this be sure to disconnect and plug your CCV hose or pressure up the system at the turbo itself. Bad things can happen when your crankcase has 20psi in it."

I conncted my boost leak detector AT the CCV coupler and did not do anything to plug or disconnect the hose to the CCV. Did I screw something up??? Please tell me I am going to be alright, this was the first I have heard of this!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I guess it would be possible to blow a main seal, blowing pressure into your block like that. Air in the block has no place to go and that would be bad.IIRR That is why the CCV vent it there. But i would think if it came to that it would pop out your dipstick and release the pressure.. You will know if you develop an oil leak weather or not if you harmed it.

How high of pressure did you go?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Well, I was trying to keep the pressure at about 20psi, but I don't really trust my regulator very much. It was an add on to my compressor, it didn't have one on it, so I added one from Home Depot. What do I need to look out for, an oil leak? This is starting to get frustrating!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
So basically you were holding 20psi on you inlet to the turbo and to your lower block.

Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary? Leaks.? You probably are ok. But i wouldn't do that again.. I would think if anything your dipstick would have just pop out. I am not a engine gooroo. but i think your ok.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

I just did this tonight. I haven't even started the engine since I did it. Wouldn't I have had to put the full strength of the compressor straight into the ccv to get any real pressure in there? I mean, I can see a small amount of the pressure going in there, but the vast majority of it went past the trbo because I was able to detect leaks fine.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
When you did your 6637 filter, did you do the CCV mod or keep it stock?

If the CCV is vented to atmosphere you should be fine.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

No, I have not done the CCV mod. It is still stock.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:39 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
If it was vented to atmosphere i doubt he would be able to reach pressure on the gauge.. Unless his air compressor can produce some serious volume.

The fact he saw pressure on his gauge tells me the block did see that pressure.

I was able to pop my detector clear off and take the hose and the regulator 24 foot across the garage and a loud enough pop, that my ears ranged and the wife came running. that was with 15psi. If you had 20psi on your regulator i believe your block seen all of that.

The more scary thing is the second time i seen this was my dad trying to stop the detector from slipping with 15psi when it popped. Luckily he had his hand on it and it missed his face. I since scuffed it up with the grinder for traction for the hose clamp.

No oil on the floor. No loud pops. No oil leaks after you run if for a bit. you should be ok.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

The leak dectector did pop apart once, but that may have just been because the clamp wasn't tight enough. This does bother me though, because I had a lot of people telling me to put a boost leak detector on it and no one told me to avoid this aspect. I didn't see any leaking oil, but again, I haven't run the engine since. I swear, it's ALWAYS something!!!!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

If I go out and run the engine now and don't see any leaks, can I assume I am ok? Where should I look for a leak?

Old 04-16-2018, 02:32 AM
dieseldogtom
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talk about resurrecting an OLD Thread!

Just happened across it and want to make a correction (AS I UNDERSTAND IT).

Originally Posted by danskool
If it was vented to atmosphere i doubt he would be able to reach pressure on the gauge.. Unless his air compressor can produce some serious volume.

The fact he saw pressure on his gauge tells me the block did see that pressure.

Consider that we are talking about the CCV in the above quote even though he does not specifically mention it. It is the subject of the previous 2 or 3 posts. With that in mind....

I don't think I agree with this comment. If his CCV has been "vented to atmosphere" Then he would HAVE to have Plugged the hole where it was previously venting back into the intake system. Right?

And on further thinking about this I am wondering just how far & through what passages pressurized air being supplied up at the air intake (after removing the air box & filters...) will find it's way. (Other than the leaks being looked for). Is this air not going right into the turbo cold side, then finding it's way through the intake into any cylinder with an open (or slightly cracked open) air intake valve? This would be pressure on the TOP side of the cylinder wouldn't it? So now this pressurized air would need to slip down past the piston rings in order to pressurize the "block"? (Of course I have not taken into consideration if any cylinder can have an overlap of slightly open intake & exhaust valves).
It seems there are many places that pressurized air can escape so in doing these pressure tests I imagine you are constantly needing to re-pressurize the (system)?

It seems like the only (easy) pathway the pressurized air has into the block would be via the CCV ? (Assuming no CCV Mod has been done)? Is that correct and is that why there are so many reports/posts about air blowing out the oil dipstick?

And I further would have torevise my above disagreement about an engine WITH the CCV Mod. being able to show a build in pressure. Though I am really not sure just how easy pressurized air finds it's way past piston rings & into the lower block. With so many reports of air blowing out the dipstick tube I guess it's not as hard as I might think it is. Of course all this is dependent on just what pressure is applied. DDT
PS....I was reading another post talking about pressure testing and the figure of 150 p.s.i was used!
I posted to say I thought that was a typo. Is there any test that DOES use such high pressures??? DDT