VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

Iraq Veterans (returning from the middle east)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iraq Veterans (returning from the middle east)

well, its been a bit since ive been on here but im seeking some advise from vets that have been to Iraq or Afghanistan and seen combat or aftermath of combat. i returned in Oct. and since then ive been having some problems. i havent talked to my supervisor or anyone in my shop about these problems because its like high school. everyone and there brother will hear about it as soon as i leave the building. ive done some research and a lot of the stuff going on resembles ptsd. so my question is is there anyone here that has gone through this have any information on how to go about finding out if it is. i dont really want to get leadership envoled because all that will happen is everyone will know and ill be discharged in a few months. anyone here have any advise or have anything that helped? i have been debating on wether or not to even ask on here but i know theres a lot of military members and retired vets on here and dont know were else to turn that wont affect my career.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
I think it's worth contacting your local VA office. They may well have programs to help with your issue. If nothing else, they should be able to help you find resources to deal with it.

I've heard good things about the VA -- although I'm sure that they have limited personell and money like most useful government functions.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:27 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
PM sent............

Old 02-19-2010, 05:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,427 Likes on 1,020 Posts
pm sent. let me know.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:35 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,230 Likes on 808 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaineer27
well, its been a bit since ive been on here but im seeking some advise from vets that have been to Iraq or Afghanistan and seen combat or aftermath of combat. i returned in Oct. and since then ive been having some problems. i havent talked to my supervisor or anyone in my shop about these problems because its like high school. everyone and there brother will hear about it as soon as i leave the building. ive done some research and a lot of the stuff going on resembles ptsd. so my question is is there anyone here that has gone through this have any information on how to go about finding out if it is. i dont really want to get leadership envoled because all that will happen is everyone will know and ill be discharged in a few months. anyone here have any advise or have anything that helped? i have been debating on wether or not to even ask on here but i know theres a lot of military members and retired vets on here and dont know were else to turn that wont affect my career.
Sir, the US government ie. US military contracts with EAP. Employee assistance. This service is free, confidential and completely professional. I recommend you give them a chance to help you.

Thank you for your service.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't really want to post this - but it is a part of my life and who I am.

I was on medical hold for quite a while and on prozac medication when my estranged wife drove me slap into what they called "CHRONIC DEPRESSION".

I began to realise what she was, and had done to others before me. It didn't help that I knew it! That was ten years before all of the truth began to spill out - She used me in every way a man could be used, and laughed about it no doubt - While I was doing my best and stationed far away.

Last year I had to declare a major bankruptcy(chapter seven) because she ran up all of my credit cards to the tune of $107,000.oo

And then there were the guys my stepsons told me she said to call "UNCLES" that were screwing her behind my back....

Almost all of them civilians.

Almost...

It isn't only combat that screws up the mind.

I found out about ALL OF THAT DEBT two months before I thought I was going to retire with no debts besides a mortgage and be home free....

The equity in the mortgage was also GONE! She stripped it out using MY power of attorney to float a debt consolidation loan that ate up the money I paid into my own house!

The one I bought to shelter her and her own kids...

THIS IS WHAT I AM STILL RECOVERING FROM!

Last year I had to declare a CHAPTER SEVEN BANKRUPTCY (Unsecured debt) because she played with cards that I was the primary owner of, and she was allowed to be a card "HOLDER".

Which meant she was not responsible for paying anything.

She knew what she was about - she did the same thing to Mr. Kevin Zent (AT1-0 who was going to be a Chief - but he got out because of her) before I met her.

And it goes on and on from there....

I married a goddamned criminal bitch, and to this day I don't know why

When I came home I found that she had been smoking POT in my house for I don't know how long.

The stepsons tell me she was addicted to prescription drugs

NOW: You go out of your way to be a decent man, one day you come home - and this is what you find.

I wanted to shoot myself - but I realised she would win if I did that

I WAS STUCK!
Understand that
And you wonder why at times I seem very strange?

Now - where this applies is that I TURNED MYSELF IN to a psych officer (which was how I found myself on med hold) but I still wonder what effect it had on promotion status

Not that I give a flying flip anymore

I made it to retirement because I was NECESSARY

Some of us are broken in some ways.

Some of us decide not to give a flying flip

I applaude those who try to find some way to get all the way back to where we came from

I hope some part of that makes some kind of damned sense

But somewhere in there is why I retired as an E-6

I don't see how she could have done worse if she was a Soviet agent. Yes - I HATE HER! I hope she dies (honestly)

<mod removed: SHE WAS A *****!!!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Greywolf, I guess all I can say is I feel for you and your problems. But, you made it thru anyway and I give you my respect for that. I went thru something similiar, but a lot less expensive, and at times considered ending it all. Permanent solution to a temporary problem! That was 20 years ago, and all is well now. With me. She is so far in debt she will never get out; and that's her problem!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I thank GOD for one simple idea that came from a branch of SPECOPS that I believe in and hold to with everything that is me:

"NEVER QUIT!"

That's the US NAVY SEALS motto - and it is also mine as a retiree

Make the other Son of a Bitch or Daughter of a Bitch quit - because it is unacceptable for them to ever WIN...

My life and my world are coming back together now at least half-way quick because I just did not let it go!

"Be STRONG! You know damned well we are the best!"

Old 02-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I don't know how this all worked out for Mountaineer27...

I hope he got something from it somewhere in it.
From my own experience(s) I know that word about such a thing is confidential - and only the Doc's at medical ever know anything at all about it - unless you let the secret out yourself!

I had a Division Officer on the USS Nimitz try to get at my medical record one year and they flat out told the sunvabitch to get lost or GO UP ON CHARGES!

And he was a conniving SOB - who departed the naval service under a cloud. Further on that dude I can not speak, even to mention the name. In the now tradition of Rick Marcinko inventing names for real life desperados, let's just call him "Ensign Nada" for what it's worth. He wasn't worth much...

I know about it because my THEN Chief came around, got me aside, told me about it and asked what was in there...
It was one of the few opportunities I could imagine where I had the chance to tell a senior ranking enlisted man (specifically a chief) to:
"Fornicate yourself, and the Division Officer who sent you!"
~and get away with it. So I did.

I never heard anything more about it.

But you CAN get assistance, and they WILL cover your back. Med record confidentiality IS NOT A JOKE!

AT1 J. (ret'd)

Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I sent him a pm, but he never responded

Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I sent him a pm, but he never responded
I sent a PM also, and got no responce. Sure hope he's ok. He is in my thoughts daily. PTSD is not fun, I have it, but thats for a different thread, if any.......................

Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 PM
mountaineer27
Posting Guru
hey guys read your pms and responded. was a very fun weekend and monday. monday i got admited to the hospital for vomiting because of to much stress. when i got there my blood pressure was at the heart attack level so they kept me there for the day. i did get on last night but i was all screwed up on meds. i have been mandated by my commander to go to mental health clinic and now everyone and there brother knows about it. its not helping much and neither did the physc. i saw today. just pissed me off. i dont really feel comforatable talking to someone that has no clue what im talking about. yes, they know the symptoms and i was diagnosed with ptsd but i cant stand there attitude. i did find another forum online that is military sponsored and its other people that have already been through it so im hoping that works. so far ive got some good information and now i have some meds to stop dreams so i can actually get some sleep at night. anyway thanks guys for the support. its gunna be a long time before i feel fine there telling me but its started. i start ADAP next week to so its gunna be rough.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
here is a resource to look at: NationalResourceDirectory.gov: An Online Partnership for Wounded, Ill and Injured Service Members, Veterans, Their Families and Those Who Support Them

In addition, you need to go to VA.gov, go to diability and compensation and start reading up on CFR title 38, esp chapt 4. has to do with disability compensation. Read up on the specific areas that you have now, learn the terminology and it is written and start talking like that. I say this because when and if you get out of the service, you will turn in a claim with the VA. You want it very well explained in there lingo what your disabilities are. This will speed up any claim for benefits. Had mine rated within 12 days of my retirement!