Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 10:55 AM
redbluffbill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't start

HI, sure hope this has happened to others, My truck will run fine for weeks at a time then it won't start. It cranks over just fine but won't start. So far it hasn't happened first thing in the morning but later in the day. Sometimes I have to wait an hour, sometimes 10 minutes then it will start.
Can't find a problem with the computer because it is fine when it gets checked. I have replaced sensors but no success. Very concerning to go off road hunting and not knowing if it will start. Ideas please.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

So some more information is needed. Year? California truck? Symptoms? Do you have a WTS light? Is the fuel bowl heater still plugged in? How are you trying to read codes? Sounds like once the truck is warm you have problems. Try pouring cold water over the IPR or use a can of compressed air (upside down) to cool the IPR. If you need to replace it only use OEM sensors.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:47 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
How long have you had your truck and do you know the characteristics of it?

Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:59 PM
redbluffbill
New User
Won't start

It's a 2002 4x4 and yes I'm in California. I have no idea where it was purchased to begin with. I am the second owner, I have owned it close to 10 years. I change the oil, and filters. Replace starters and alternators and such but for most other stuff I take it into the shop.
They have no idea why it turns over and will not start sometimes so I thought I would reach out here. This is not a new truck but it is the best truck I have ever owned and plan on it being my last. I am almost 68 years old so hanging over the front for long periods of time isn't going to happen. Briefly like to change the fuel filter is fine.
I hope there are folks here that can help but I will need you to not use initials as I don't know what they stand for.
WTS light? IPR?
I believe the glow plug heater is still plugged in. My shop guy tried to unplug it to see if that would work. It did not. He reads the codes not me and nothing shows a code when it starts.
Thanks guys or gals
Bill

Last edited by redbluffbill; 10-24-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 10-24-2019, 04:30 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Bill, am I correct in interpreting the data you provided above as - it doesn't like to start after it has warmed up (later in the day)?

Old 10-24-2019, 04:30 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by redbluffbill
It's a 2002 4x4 and yes I'm in California. I have no idea where it was purchased to begin with. I am the second owner, I have owned it close to 10 years. I change the oil, and filters. Replace starters and alternators and such but for most other stuff I take it into the shop.
They have no idea why it turns over and will not start sometimes so I thought I would reach out here. This is not a new truck but it is the best truck I have ever owned and plan on it being my last. I am almost 68 years old so hanging over the front for long periods of time isn't going to happen. Briefly like to change the fuel filter is fine.
I hope there are folks here that can help but I will need you to not use initials as I don't know what they stand for.
WTS light? IPR?
I believe the glow plug heater is still plugged in. My shop guy tried to unplug it to see if that would work. It did not. He reads the codes not me and nothing shows a code when it starts.
Thanks guys or gals
Bill
https://dieseliq.com/9-common-proble...diesel-engines
Hello Bill, not to worry you will get many suggestion to track down what is going on.
IPR: Injection Pressure Regulator, WTS: Wait to start light.
Ten years is a good amount of time to 'know' your truck, these are great trucks and many on this forum have owned theirs for many years. California models do have a few features that are different than the rest of the country (not to worry the guys/gals will help with that)
Why start one time and not another? How long has this starting issue been going on? The 'Glow Plugs' are regulated by what we referrer to as the GPR Glow Plug Regulator. I think the Cali trucks may different (I live in Missouri) and someone will help you with fixing that. When you need your glow plugs they should come on. We do suggest at having good batteries and if suspect, having them load tested. Your CPS Cam Positioning Sensor may be faulty and causing this issue also. If not working or it gets moisture/water around the seals it can shut your truck off while driving or cause a no start. Unplug the connection that is behind (connected to) the fuel bowl. This is a Fuel bowl heater and 'Water in Fuel' sensor. You will not need this in the lower 48 and if the heating element burns out, it will blow your fuse #30 and your truck will not run. Starters do where out and wear down. A bad or corroded connection at the starter may cause what you describe. We do not like to throw money at different parts to see what will and will not work, so we will take it slow, one or two things at a time.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:35 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

WTS = wait to start light on dash. This is for the glow plugs in cold weather.
IPR = Injector Pressure Regulator. This opens and closes to increase and decrease oil pressure to the injectors. 500 psi to 3000 psi in a healthy HPOP (high pressure oil pump)
ICP = Injector Pressure Sensor. This is what the oil pressure is REALLY at...assuming the sensor is working correctly.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:04 AM
redbluffbill
New User
won't start

Thank you guys for all your input. This is not a starter or battery issue. It cranks very well. The heat thing may have some validity however one time I only drove it a few miles first thing in the morning . I went into the store came out and it wouldn't start.
I took the key out, slid it back in waited for the coil looking light to go off on the dash and it started right up.

I will take all your ideas to my shop and go over it with him.
Thank you very much.
Bill

Old 10-25-2019, 10:10 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Old 10-25-2019, 02:37 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Only driving a few miles to the store is plenty of time to get the oil warm/thin enough to find escape routes from the high pressure oil system through compromised o-rings and back to the low pressure side of the engine.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:04 PM
redbluffbill
New User
You guys are the best! That flow chart is very interesting as well as the other helpful ideas. I'm am sorry I don't have enough knowledge to help others with much here but you guys may have found a fix for me. Thank you very much, and if you ever need to know how to replace your ash tray I'm your man as that is how I found this sight. It also helped me save hundreds of dollars on tires.
I can't thank you enough.
Sincerely,
Bill