1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Bad knock. Stranded on side of interstate

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 PM
wmiller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bad knock. Stranded on side of interstate

JUst got my chip back and was testing it out. Was cruising at 55 and got into it a little. And it started tapping knocking like it didnt have oil. so i back out and it got worse so i pulled over. by that time it was shaking and knocking bad blowing white/black smoke to hi heaven. Couldnt se out of cab. Checked oil and coolent both are rith where they should be and exhaust smells like rawl fuel. Thinking maybe rod or stuck injector but was only at like 800* and maybe 10* boost.
Any ideas. I need to get it at least off the side of the interstate and really want to have it to move back home from school on wednesday.
No warnign lights. Pulled the chip out and when tried to start hit a hard spot so didnt crank any more didnt want to tear more up. Gonna try and get a scanner today or tomorrow and see if any codes come up

Old 12-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That doesn't sound good. I was gonna suggest pulling the chip then start but as I understand it will not start now. Is that correct? Does it have a CEL? You can check those codes for sure.

When you said shaking I thought DMF. Do you have an auto?

Old 12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wmiller
JUst got my chip back and was testing it out. Was cruising at 55 and got into it a little. And it started tapping knocking like it didnt have oil. so i back out and it got worse so i pulled over. by that time it was shaking and knocking bad blowing white/black smoke to hi heaven. Couldnt se out of cab. Checked oil and coolent both are rith where they should be and exhaust smells like rawl fuel. Thinking maybe rod or stuck injector but was only at like 800* and maybe 10* boost.
Any ideas. I need to get it at least off the side of the interstate and really want to have it to move back home from school on wednesday.
No warnign lights. Pulled the chip out and when tried to start hit a hard spot so didnt crank any more didnt want to tear more up. Gonna try and get a scanner today or tomorrow and see if any codes come up
Are you low on fuel ?...

Another wag might be a bent push rod or a broken rocker ...

Old 12-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might not be all that bad. It could be just an injector. They can cause a rod knock sound when they belly up. You can't really run the engine our of oil, the injectors will stop firing before any damage will occur to the rods.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Action4478
Are you low on fuel ?...

Another wag might be a bent push rod or a broken rocker ...
Sorry but I have to ask. WAG?? Heard it before but have no idea what it means.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Wild A$$ Guess.

SWAG= Scientific WAG

Old 12-11-2008, 03:37 PM
wmiller
Elder User
Neil- i have an auto. No cel and i think it will start but it hit a hard spot and didnt want to taek chance of tearing more up if it was hydrolocked or bent stuff. motor surges 1-200 rpm and bucks real bad for 10 sec or so than goes away for a while. Only did it btw 40-60 or so so i figured prob issue with the tunes
Thats an idea about rocker or push rod. When i changed the injectors one rocker seemed like it might have been twisted a little. My socket stuck on it when tightened hold down bolts

Action- the tank i was running on is full just filled up last night

Old 12-11-2008, 03:45 PM
jeep1947
Senior User

Are u sure the injectors are good and tight (torqued to spec) buddys did similar thing last week, one injector was loose sounded like engine was coming apart. He did not experience the tight spot while starting though.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:53 PM
wmiller
Elder User
Ive put 1500miles on since the change. I think that would have shown up sooner than now but dont know

Old 12-11-2008, 03:59 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

injector tip or stuck needle in the tip

Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
wmiller
Elder User
Just got it off the road and back to the dairy barns on campus. What an event. Whole time its freezing raining. Called around all day and finally got a trailer so we head out. WHen we got there we realized we forgot come along to pull it up. So i called my boss whose 5miles down the road to see if he has a push bar. SCORE! he has one so go to get it but the truck we went to take someone shut off and it had a bad battery. Now we have a truck and trailer thats almost out of fuel and 2 pick ups that wont run. great. So we call ahaid to the one of the brothers at the house to bring out cables. 20 min later we have truck running and gett the push bar.
From that point things went smooth. Pushed my truck on with a F150 and strapped her down. This is when the state trooper showed up. Figures he gets there when were all but done and not when had battery issues.
Once i finished strapping it down we went 3 miles back to the farm to drop it till i get time to look at it. Took two and a half hrs not bad for all the problems we had and im just happy no one got hit or anything else broke. Only damage was lollipop light cover popped off when bar came under bumper casue the truck and tractor went different direction. Smacked it back on land liek new again. If only the motor was as easy as the light.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:58 PM
JethroF250
Posting Guru
wat did you tow it with?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 PM
wmiller
Elder User
unfortunatly a cummins but i wasnt going to complain. He was on cloud nine with a broke down ford and another ford with a dead battery. i was just happy to see it off the interstate. i was worried about someone breaking in and gutting truck. The

Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
is it back in md? my money is still riding on the stuck injector like we discussed over the phone. the way you described it happen sounds more like it, especially the possible hydro lock you encountered. i'm glad you called! that could have gotton ugly!!!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 PM
wmiller
Elder User
no its still here in state college at the university dairy. I might ty to pull it apart this weekend if I can score a shop. I almost started it to pull on trailer and decided ide just take the time and not be sorry.
What should i look for when i get the covers off?
If i cant get it going here one of the brothers lives about an hour north of me and said he could bring a trailer up sat when he comes back up to campus and haul me home if worse comes to worse

Quick Reply: Bad knock. Stranded on side of interstate