1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

speedometer calibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
kr514
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedometer calibration

I was just wondering, after changing gears from 4.10 to 3.55 if I needed to do anything to the setting for the the speedometer

Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First off Welcome to FTE!

I forget where I found this but here you go (I think it was from here):
By Benjamin Ratterree

1. Check whether the conversion constant in the speedometer is correct with the following procedure:

Press and hold the RESET button on the front of the speedometer while turning the key to RUN.
Release the RESET button. The pointer will prove out and some codes will appear on the odometer display. If an "E" is on the left side of the display, the module is programmed for English display mode and should have English graphics (mph). A lower case "o" signifies an overseas (metric) graphics (kph). Verify the graphics and display modes agree. (The number appearing after the type is the microprocessor revision level and is not used in this test.)
Rress and release the RESET button again. The conversion constant and the word CAL will be shown on the odometer display.
Check the conversion constant shown on the odometer display with the chart below and verify the correct constant is entered.
Turn off the key to exit this test.
2. Reprogram speed conversion constant using the following procedure:

Locate the dealer mode programming enable single-terminal connector. The connector is located at the bottom of the instrument panel below the center of the glove box. On all vehicles, the dealer mode enable wire is Circuit #567 (LB/Y).
Insert metal clip in service wire panel connector. Clip other end to vehicle ground while the key is in the OFF position.
Turn key to RUN (not crank) position while holding down the trip odometer RESET button on speedometer. Release RESET button.
Speedometer will prove out (sweep across dial and back). The English/Metric and revision levels will be displayed. The last number of the display is the dealer mode programming lockout count. This count shows the number of allowable conversion constant changes remaining. When the count is zero (0), no additional changes can be made to this instrument cluster. If a conversion constant change is required, a service instrument cluster must be ordered. Refer to this section for ordering information.
Press and release RESET button again and PSOM conversion constant (without the decimal point) followed by the word CAL.
Press and release the odometer SELECT button as many times as necessary to change conversion constant to the correct value.
NOTE: Pressing and releasing the RESET button to lock in the new Conversion Constant reduces the number of times the PSOM can be reprogrammed by one count. The module can only be reprogrammed six times. If you change your mind and want to go back to the old conversion constant, turn the ignition switch off before you lock in the new constant.
When the correct new value is displayed in odometer window, press and release the RESET button to lock in the new conversion constant.
Turn the key off and remove the ground wire. Verify proper speedometer operation.

To find conversion constants for tires with 15 inch rims that are not listed in chart, above multiply the revolutions per mile (at 45mph) of your tire times .0135. For 16 inch rims multiply by .015. The revs/mile can be found at your tire manufacturers web site. There are slight variations in revs/mile per tire manufacturers, but using one like the popular BFG A/T (see below) will get you very close.
Example: BFG AT 33x12.50R15LT/C
Revs/mile= 636
636 rev/mile X .0135 = 8.59
8.59 would be your conversion constant

Here is a listing of popular oversize BFG All-Terrain tires with conversion constants:

Tire Size Revs/mile (at 45mph) Conversion Constant
30x9.50R15LT/C 705 9.52
31x10.50R15LT/C 677 9.14
32x11.50R15LT/C 656 8.86
33x12.50R15LT/C 636 8.59
35x12.50R15LT/C 599 8.09

Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

To use this you'd have to pretend you put smaller tires on. I think your regear would be like going from a 35" tire to a 30". But I could be wrong.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:12 AM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kr514
I was just wondering, after changing gears from 4.10 to 3.55 if I needed to do anything to the setting for the the speedometer
You dont need to recalibrate the speedometer when you change gear ratios.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 AM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Towmanjbo
First off Welcome to FTE!

I forget where I found this but here you go (I think it was from here):
By Benjamin Ratterree

1. Check whether the conversion constant in the speedometer is correct with the following procedure:

Press and hold the RESET button on the front of the speedometer while turning the key to RUN.
Release the RESET button. The pointer will prove out and some codes will appear on the odometer display. If an "E" is on the left side of the display, the module is programmed for English display mode and should have English graphics (mph). A lower case "o" signifies an overseas (metric) graphics (kph). Verify the graphics and display modes agree. (The number appearing after the type is the microprocessor revision level and is not used in this test.)
Rress and release the RESET button again. The conversion constant and the word CAL will be shown on the odometer display.
Check the conversion constant shown on the odometer display with the chart below and verify the correct constant is entered.
Turn off the key to exit this test.
2. Reprogram speed conversion constant using the following procedure:

Locate the dealer mode programming enable single-terminal connector. The connector is located at the bottom of the instrument panel below the center of the glove box. On all vehicles, the dealer mode enable wire is Circuit #567 (LB/Y).
Insert metal clip in service wire panel connector. Clip other end to vehicle ground while the key is in the OFF position.
Turn key to RUN (not crank) position while holding down the trip odometer RESET button on speedometer. Release RESET button.
Speedometer will prove out (sweep across dial and back). The English/Metric and revision levels will be displayed. The last number of the display is the dealer mode programming lockout count. This count shows the number of allowable conversion constant changes remaining. When the count is zero (0), no additional changes can be made to this instrument cluster. If a conversion constant change is required, a service instrument cluster must be ordered. Refer to this section for ordering information.
Press and release RESET button again and PSOM conversion constant (without the decimal point) followed by the word CAL.
Press and release the odometer SELECT button as many times as necessary to change conversion constant to the correct value.
NOTE: Pressing and releasing the RESET button to lock in the new Conversion Constant reduces the number of times the PSOM can be reprogrammed by one count. The module can only be reprogrammed six times. If you change your mind and want to go back to the old conversion constant, turn the ignition switch off before you lock in the new constant.
When the correct new value is displayed in odometer window, press and release the RESET button to lock in the new conversion constant.
Turn the key off and remove the ground wire. Verify proper speedometer operation.

To find conversion constants for tires with 15 inch rims that are not listed in chart, above multiply the revolutions per mile (at 45mph) of your tire times .0135. For 16 inch rims multiply by .015. The revs/mile can be found at your tire manufacturers web site. There are slight variations in revs/mile per tire manufacturers, but using one like the popular BFG A/T (see below) will get you very close.
Example: BFG AT 33x12.50R15LT/C
Revs/mile= 636
636 rev/mile X .0135 = 8.59
8.59 would be your conversion constant

Here is a listing of popular oversize BFG All-Terrain tires with conversion constants:

Tire Size Revs/mile (at 45mph) Conversion Constant
30x9.50R15LT/C 705 9.52
31x10.50R15LT/C 677 9.14
32x11.50R15LT/C 656 8.86
33x12.50R15LT/C 636 8.59
35x12.50R15LT/C 599 8.09
Justin it's a lot easier if you dont use the figures for a 15" tire and then try to convert it for 16's. Try this:

"First, you'll need to know the actual height of the tires, not the
nominal height of 35" that's printed on the sidewall. To get that,
make a mark on the edge of the tire at the ground, and mark the ground
directly under the mark. Now, roll the truck far enough for the tire
to have made three revolutions. When your mark on the tire is at the
very bottom, near the ground, mark the ground again, and measure the
distance between the two marks on the ground. Divide that distance by
three, since there were three revolutions of the tire, then divide
that number, (which is the circumference of your tire,) by 3.14. The
answer you have is the true height of your tire. Write that number
down, because you'll need it for the next step. Divide 30282 by your
actual height. If your true height is 34", the math goes something
like this: 30282/34=891. That would be your speedometer calibration code."

Old 09-16-2008, 04:41 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can change gears all day long with no problem, you only calibrate when you change tires

Old 09-16-2008, 04:48 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^^ True for tranny gears. But the diff is "downstream" of the vehicle speed sensor, right. Isn't it safe to say that if you change anything after the VSS (meaning, diff gears or tires), it affects the real road speed relative to the reported speed? Or is there something I'm missing?

Old 09-16-2008, 05:11 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^^ True for tranny gears. But the diff is "downstream" of the vehicle speed sensor, right. Isn't it safe to say that if you change anything after the VSS (meaning, diff gears or tires), it affects the real road speed relative to the reported speed? Or is there something I'm missing?
The Speed sensor is on the rear diff and only cares how many times in a mile the carrier will rotate so the only thing that will change that is tire size.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
you can change gears all day long with no problem, you only calibrate when you change tires
OK duh, I knew that , Doh. I forgot the VSS registers off the ring gear.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:45 AM
JTyler11688
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious about the same type of issue. Since the VSS counts rotations of the carrier, what needs to be done if you install a full locker or something that replaces the carrier?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:07 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by JTyler11688
I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious about the same type of issue. Since the VSS counts rotations of the carrier, what needs to be done if you install a full locker or something that replaces the carrier?
Nothing needs to be done for your speedo as long as the tone wheel of your stock carrier gets put onto your locker or other carrier.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Nothing needs to be done for your speedo as long as the tone wheel of your stock carrier gets put onto your locker or other carrier.
Did not know that... I probably would've lost my mind if I swapped in a locker and then my speedo didn't work. Good info TJ!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:22 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Good info! Gotta do this to my '96 F350 since I swapped from the stock 215's to 235's.