General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ebay/Paypal dispute - am I doing this right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ebay/Paypal dispute - am I doing this right?

A month ago I ordered a set of 16" wheels on Ebay. It was my very 1st attempt at buying on Ebay, getting a set of Ford OEM rims with TPMS sensors. After a few emails on the Ebay account, he wanted to communicate via regular email. We agreed on a price, and I okayed a $500 bill on Paypal. 2 weeks later I got 2 wheels via DHL (delivered by the US Postal service). 'Course I paid for 4 wheels, and sent a few emails back to the vendor. I saved the shipping labels, and traced the DHL number. They said only 1 package had been sent (the 2 wheels came in 1 box). The vendor said he sent 2 boxes, but a call to DHL customer service said only 1 box had been sent.

This guy was taking a week to answer each email, so this week I started a Paypal complaint. Now the emails start coming faster! I told him I had only a certain time to start a complaint (45 days). He had agreed to send me 2 more wheels, but now he wants me to cancel the Paypal complaint 1st. I emailed him that I couldn't, since I can't reopen it if I never receive the rest of the order.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but this is the first time (and maybe last) I've bought on Ebay. Does my complaint put a crimp in his business (OEMwheels)? This guy has a 99.5% good rating, and has a fairly big listing on his EBay store, so I think he's legit. I think I should wait until the other 2 rims show up, however.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
The seller has not given you what you paid for.... let paypal handle it. I would tell the seller that if he wants this to end.... to express ship you the missing two rims. Once you get them... it goes away. Pretty straight forward.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
If you can't re-file the complaint after you close it, then under no circumstances should you do so. Wait for him to ship the wheels and then you can close it.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:39 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I notice the phrases 'rocket launcher' and 'pre-emptive airstrikes' were left out of your narrative....

I have a lot of disdain for ebay, its spawned lackey paypal, and the demonic commercial sellers on it.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,173 Posts
i got burnt on ebay once. and neither ebay or paypal would do anything about it, so i called the credit card company and let their fraud dept handle it. case was closed in 4 days after the seller told the credit card company to "F" off cause he thought he had my money and there was nothing they could do about it. WRONG!! they back-billed his credit card for full refund value, plus shipping.

and for that reason, i always pay for paypal with a credit card.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Well, Paypal has a dispute tutorial whereby they advise assuming the seller is acting in good faith to begin with. I was thinking maybe I was just being a little impatient until the last email. That's the first time I think maybe things went a little shady.

I wouldn't even be in this mess if I didn't have to deal with those dang TPMS sensors. Thought I'd found a cheap way around having to buy a second set for my snow tires.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am curious, you say you ordered them but then say you agreed to a price. Was this an auction or was it something you did outside of ebay? I've had to file a complaint or two on paypal and it has worked out each time. I also almost missed out on the complaint window, it is a scam people pull trying to drag you along until you can't file a complaint then you are SOL.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
problem with the paypal dispute,

The seller sent something that is trackable, Thats about all they lookfor

Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> but now he wants me to cancel the Paypal complaint 1st

Close it only when you have the product!

This can't be brain surgery for him. He either shipped two 50+ pound packages to one address or he did not. He either has a shipping bill for $40 x 2 or he does not. If he is like the thousands of other sellers on E-bay, me included, he printed the multiple labels out and has the tracking info which should have been sent to you automatically.

Communicate through E-Bay, not e-mail.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rebocardo
> but now he wants me to cancel the Paypal complaint 1st

Close it only when you have the product!

This can't be brain surgery for him. He either shipped two 50+ pound packages to one address or he did not. He either has a shipping bill for $40 x 2 or he does not. If he is like the thousands of other sellers on E-bay, me included, he printed the multiple labels out and has the tracking info which should have been sent to you automatically.

Communicate through E-Bay, not e-mail.

I started out communicating through EBay, but I had clicked on 17" wheels to start things out. When I realized I needed 16" instead, we went to email (at his prompting). I had transferred my EBay messages to a folder, but those have disappeared. Not sure how, but I think maybe they automatically delete after a certain time.

I've got both DHL and USPS tracking printouts showing only 1 package.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:06 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I lost a dispute with Paypal. I will not use them again after this dispute. I bought a 6 months old Dewalt 718 sliding miter saw from a seller . He showed it assembled in his ad. He dissembled it into every easy part to take off.He took the slide bars & motor off ,took the base apart & took the back fences off. It needed a new part for the slide bars & the bolt that stops the saw when you raise it was broken off.I got a police report like Paypal said they needed. I sent picsof the saw in his ad & pics of what I received & a estimate from the Dewalt shop on making the saw right. It arrived at my home in a huge box with almost no packing around it. I wanted a refund or enough money to have Dewalt reassemble it & test it. Paypal decided that the saw was not enough different from the assembled one. The ahole who sold it to me he had to take it apart to fit it in a box .I put the assembled saw in the box he shipped it in with plenty of room to put packing around it. Don't buy from the ebay account below. I know he will rip you off because he did it to me.Based on our definition of significantly not-as-described, this claim does
not qualify for a refund. I did get the saw repaired but I could have bought a new one for almost what I now have in the saw. It runs great now after I spent $100 in parts to fix it. Paypal sucks IMHO. this was their answer Based on our definition of significantly not-as-described, this claim does
not qualify for a refund. BS.
Allen Pilapil is the seller who ripped me off. He took 5 weeks to get my saw to me & it arrived a basket case IMO. I will never use Paypal again. I'll use my Visa Business card. They would have gotten me a refund.
Allen Pilapil at
productofsd@yahoo.com

Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I, on the other hand, have only had to use PayPal's claims process one time, and had it go smoothly. The seller simply didn't ship the item I had ordered and paid for and then refused to answer my emails but refunded my money when PayPal contacted him. I don't really know what the problem was on his end but he at least cooperated when PayPal leaned on him.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Well, the seller hasn't replied to either Paypal or me in the last week. I guess next week I'll escalate the dispute to a claim and see how it goes.