1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

75-79 4x4 Steering Box and tall springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:18 PM
JimBoB77
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
75-79 4x4 Steering Box and tall springs?

HI:

My name is Jim and I just joined at the recommendation of a memeber over on the HAMB forum, since they kind of frowned on my questions about my 4x4 Yardhorse project over there.

I am from central Wisconin and we had a tremendous amount of snow this past winter, and my Bronco II engine died, so I had to use my little FORD 10 hp lawn and garden tractor with blade to plow snow with. It did pretty well till we got a BIG blizzard with up to 5 foot drifts, and it took me over six days to get shoveled and plowed out of here. So I vowed to build a heavier duty plow setup.

I have this 75 F150 4x4 chassis that I bought over 15 years ago and it was shortened to 109 inch wheelbase when I bought it. It has the Ford 9" rear with "N" pumpkin and "posi". I have shortened the frame to 86 inches for maneuverability around here, as I want to use it also to move cars, trucks, engines and even pull enigines outside with it. I have cut up my Cherry Picker and mounted it on the rear. I have a 55 Ford cab and front clip I am putting on it as I love the effies. I also have a 53 F100 that will be totally custom with a built up 400c engine. THAT is another story.

My problem is while I have this rolling chassis, it has no steering box. I do have some tilt wheels I can adapt for steering, but I imagine I will also need and extension down to the steering box as it is my understanding the 4x4 box is different than the 4x2 box and sits way out front.

Also the springs seem tall on the front. The back had really long shackles and blocks that I removed a few years ago, but haven't done anything with the front yet. I was thinking of cutting the tall coils to get it to stock height. But not sure how tall the stock springs are. Anyone know how many coils in a stock front spring?

Also, I have not been able to get a steering box for this locally. A guy was supposed to come back on Saturday to make a deal and trade in his old rusty 79 F150 on a nice 78 T-Bird I have for sale, but he hasn't showed up. And I am ready now to get a steering and engine into this thing. I am thinking of installing a 289 or 302, but he had a 300 6 in the 79, which I guess would work.

I have a granny low 4 speed and transfer case, or I could use an automatic, I guess. I went and sold an automatic from a 78 a couple of years ago, thinking I would never use it. Sold it real cheap too. Darn.

So anyone have any suggestions on what to do, or where I can get a steering box reasonable? I am 67 years old, on about $500 a month SS, so don't have a lot of money to spend.

THanks guys.

Jim in central Wisconsin.
###

Old 07-21-2008, 01:09 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys are gonna get real upset at me for suggesting this, but here goes;
Since the 3 bolt F-150 steering box is often a little difficult to find, and can often be a bit expensive, why not look into an alternate style box? I run a saginaw box in my F250 and have been very happy with its performance.
Image of saginaw power steering conversion - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This was not a big problem to install, and it can use the stock pump, or you can also upgrade to,,,yes a saginaw pump as well.
It would appear that restoration is not something that you are after, and you sound as though this modification would not be too difficult for you to accomplish.
You build sounds interesting, and unique.
Since you have the inverted "t" style steeing, you will need a 2wd box designed for a chebby, or a dodge box. The key thing you are looking for, is a sector shaft that will permit the pitman arm to be removed and re-indexed so it swings from left to right, and not front to rear like the 4wd chebby trucks do. These 4wd boxes do not permit the re-indexing of the pitman arm, and will not work, but a 2wd will.
These 16:1 ratio boxes are a dime a dozen, and are everywhere,as many were used in a veriety of applications.
You must also make sure that you find a pitman arm that does not already have a ball joint incorperated into the end, but even if you do, other arms that simply have a tappered hole can be installed, provided they came from a similar box.
This will allow you to attach a new tie rod end to the drag link and run your existing steering set-up.
This should be a pretty simple swap for a guy that is on a budget, and is capable of shortening the wheelbase on a full size rig.
Good luck, and welcome to the site!

Old 07-21-2008, 01:25 PM
F250army45d
Elder User
Old 07-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Thunderjet4x4
Elder User
The saginaw box, pump idea is good-tons of them around and they last. The Ford 4x4 steering boxes are a bit rare, and probably mostly worn out.
Another option could be the Ford 2 wheel drive box (lots of them around), mounted straight up-similar to the positioning of the F150/Bronco box.
Look in the articles/specs section under steering-some good info in there.
Sounds like you need something that will fit and function since it is just a yard/plow truck-or going to be!
Good luck
Welcome to the FTE JimBoB77 !

Old 07-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I used a chevy box on my 76 4x4 ...a little work but worth it ...(Steers like a car....)

Old 07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
JimBoB77
Freshman User
THANKS GUYS:

Enjoyed all the possiblities you have come up with.

However this afternoon, I closed the deal with a guy to buy my 78 T-Bird and got his 79 F150 4x4 in trade. So I will get most of my stuff I need off of it. Only thing is it is missing the power steering PUMP. Bracket is there but he said someone stole the pump, so will need that. IT has the 300 six engine. I paid $500 for the whole thing and by the time I take what I need and scrap the rest I will only have about $200 or so into it all. Plus I got the Bird sold and made some on that.

Will post photos as I get it more done.

jim
###

Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Jolly Green
Senior User
Originally Posted by JimBoB77
THANKS GUYS:

Enjoyed all the possiblities you have come up with.

However this afternoon, I closed the deal with a guy to buy my 78 T-Bird and got his 79 F150 4x4 in trade. So I will get most of my stuff I need off of it. Only thing is it is missing the power steering PUMP. Bracket is there but he said someone stole the pump, so will need that. IT has the 300 six engine. I paid $500 for the whole thing and by the time I take what I need and scrap the rest I will only have about $200 or so into it all. Plus I got the Bird sold and made some on that.

Will post photos as I get it more done.

jim
###

Most of us here hate to see one of these old trucks go to the bone yard, but if it's all used up maybe there's just nothing you can do. Good to hear you're getting the parts you need.

As for the 300 I6, it's one of the best if not the best engine Ford ever made. It has plenty of power and is pretty much bullet proof. It would probably work great for what it sounds like you'll use the truck for.

And to add one more request...I gotta see some pics of this thing too!

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:16 PM
JimBoB77
Freshman User
Steve:
The body and box are really rusty on this thing. I will probably save the front and rear ends but rest is crap.

I was leary on trying the 300 as I have had a couple of them and on had a rod knocking in 700 miles of my driving it, and another lunched on me too. I never have had good luck with sixes of any kind. My V-8's have run forever.

But will give it a shot and hope. If it goes, I have a three 351's I can install.

Jim.
###