Sponsored by: Moser

The debate over ole Blue...'79 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 PM
eliteman76
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The debate over ole Blue...'79 F150 4x4

So...probably posting here just that all you guys can hear the rocks in me ole head rattle some about my '79 4x4.

Here's the ad I tossed on craigslist a few weeks back...and I am having severe remorse over even trying to sell it. Anyone else just get damn attached to their rig? I went through this when I got rid of my 84 F150 hotrod...

I'd love to just get a newer F250 superduty, and get rid of my 95 extended cab which is having fuel system issues, and move on from ole blue...but it's like a nice, mildly weathered, rusty security blanket I'm content watching RIP {rust into pieces} in the driveway.

1979 F150 Ranger 4x4.
Last of the half ton, solid axle trucks.

Dana 44 front, 31 spline 9" out back. Tracloc center section.

New leafs last year, rebuilt front end 2 years ago. HD coil springs with a 1.5 over stock high spring rate for plowing, Brake rotors, bearings, seals, pads, ball joints, one half shaft replaced, new Warn HD lockouts, knuckles, u-joints. Replaced brake lines on front axle, caliper to caliper.
Had a exhaust put on the truck 3 years ago. HD system, full dual exhaust. Be aware, no converters so if going out of state, check local laws.
Engine is a 400. C6 trans. Was in the trans last summer for a filter change, nice, clean, no issues. Typical C6, only thing in pan was minor material from normal wear.
Transfer case is the NP205. Case has never been apart all this time the family has owned it, just topped off with gear oil every 2-3 years.
Newer master cylinder. Steering linkage replaced ~ 6 months ago. Steering shaft was rebuilt. Steering box was replaced with a Napa rebuilt unit around 8 years ago.
Dayton 31x10.50 mud tires. Howls going down the road. Awesome for snow and mud.
Engine lost a head gasket 6 years ago, pulled heads, had both heads rebuilt, new seats, stainless valves, edelbrock torker intake, 600 cfm performer carb.
Factory AC truck, but not working. Seals need done. System was full of R12 before I got truck, my dad had a shop do the heater core and recored/rebuilt the radiator and after that lost the AC charge.
Replaced starter last summer. Installed new bench/bucket seat around 2 years ago.
This truck has been in our family since around 1990. Body and paint was done in 1991, and showing it's age.

Not going to BS, it's as it looks, there is rust.

It's been my daily driver for about 6 years. Recently picked up a newer F series, and at this point she sits in my driveway and doesn't get used much.

Basic issues: Trans input seal on pump is going, it leaks fluid, and makes a hell of a mess on the driveway if it sits a while without being driven. I've been content adding Type F fluid and leaving the setup untouched...as if I end up fixing it, I'd end up pulling the drivetrain out and restoring the thing.
Underside of the truck has probably 8" of grease from 30+ years of being a Ford Truck.
Brakes suck. Needs to be converted over using a F350 2wd booster and master cylinder, and install 72-76 Torino calipers on the front and have custom brake lines made to cure the issues.
I figure the booster could be replaced, but have not been worried about it.

The flex plate has one bad spot on it, and occasionally is a issue...I have another flex plate. Was planning on installing when I did the input seal on the converter/pump.
Fuel and brake lines on the truck really should be replaced. Do not leak, but just looking rusted.
Gas tank is rusty, but solid.
Truck is a bit cold blooded when starting, but once warmed up, solid roller.
Floorboards were replaced by a shop in Fremont for my dad back in 1995, really could use a replacement floor. rotted on driver side.

As far as why I am selling? I have A: my dad telling me to get rid of the damn thing...and B: my wife is like we don't need 4 vehicles.

Personally, I don't really want to get rid of it, but figure maybe someone would use this truck while she still has alot of life left.

And, as an FYI, no, I will not part out the truck. If you want the axles, buy the truck. If anything I'd take the axles and do a solid axle conversion on my other truck and drop the 9" out back. But...at that point, might as well go Dana 60's.

This truck has a 8 foot wide western snow plow. I am going to carefully remove the plow off the truck, if sold. Not interested in selling with the plow, despite this is what this truck is PERFECT for.

As far as what I want out of the truck, I am asking $XXXX without the snow plow set up, and my 15 year old POS cd player. One of my discs has been stuck in the damn thing, and I like that cd!

Also...I won't waste your time, so please don't waste mine. If you want to come look over the truck, let me know and we can go from there.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 AM
keiths78f150
Posting Guru
So what do you want exactly? Just asking if anyone else is attached to their rig? Of course.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:02 AM
eliteman76
Junior User
More of general opinion, save the old dude or at some point do you need to just face the facts of needing to part ways with a truck?

Like I said...sorry if I was rambling on this one.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 AM
keiths78f150
Posting Guru
If you want to keep it, can afford to keep it, and dont need to get rid of it, then keep it. Only reason to get rid of it is if you need to get rid of it to get a more reliable or family oriented vehicle, etc. IMO.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 PM
gpence
Elder User
Keep it if you dont need to sell it! I just put my 75 highboy together just to have to turn around & sell it now because of stupid things going on in my life now & I need a new home so one of my trucks had to go up on the chopping block.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM
keiths78f150
Posting Guru
Ill take your highboy off ya

Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM
gpence
Elder User
Originally Posted by keiths78f150
Ill take your highboy off ya

Bring cash. lol.
I still have a handfull of little things to finish on it yet.
Honestly I don't want to sell it but things being what they are and money invested the highboy I can atleast break even on vs. my 77 short box that I've had since 1990 on the other hand.......well I have a few to many $$ in and a whole lot of damn good memories!!!!!!