1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

big big problem need help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:24 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ah i like that name, also thanks for the add, i feel bad for not mentioning that now

Old 05-16-2008, 08:09 PM
luthrobediesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one time i dropped an oil pump drive shaft into the oil pan and left it on a 330 medium duty. then i got one from advance and it was too short and i didnt realize it and started it and wondered why no oil pressure. figured it out that they gave me the wrong one and now the engine has a deep thud after after warmed up prolly wiped out a main bearing, or a 6 inch rod getting thrown around in the oil pan

Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would use the magnet. The strongest one you can find. The tappet would have to jump thru the oil 6 inches, thru the wind age tray to reach any moving parts. Or pull the engine to get the pan off. Or what I might consider as well, cut a 3 inch hole in the side of the oil pan. retrieve the part and patch the hole back up.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Robbgt
I'm PISSED I didn't remind him of that! I was almost 100% sure it was in that post with the original directions................
Thanks for the Props Todd, just wish I could have helped him out better...-Robb
Not a problem. I did a quick search on here and found a few posts that didnt mention this step. He may have run across one of these. Who do we talk to about getting a "HOW TOO" section started. I think it would be helpful if we could get these things posted. Have everyone have access to it, and post everything that you did, and all the things you could have done differently to save time and make it easier. Everything from Fuel pumps, CPS, power windows, brake controllers, etc... Just keep people from posting in that topic to keep it uncluttered maybe??

Originally Posted by Hussler

Where where you when the question was asked? I too did the search on the lift pump and also raised it by rotating the engine.
I know, I know. But greatness is so hard to achieve, and I hate to spend all of mine on just this ONE forum!!!!!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
CHIT!!!
I would spend the time to fish it out the dipstick.
The mag way is OK, just not for me.

Bill

Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Stroker09
Junior User
i got a 250lb pulling magnet from harbor freight and stuck it on there. Its pretty strong. I dont think it will hurt anything to leave it down there for alittle. I plan to cut a hole in it and weld a patch on or something. I was pissed when that dropped in there. Just glad it didnt hurt anything. Other then that little mess up the pump went in great. I can even notice a difference in power and some more smoke. Thanks guys and dont worry about not telling me to turn the engine by hand. No big deal. But may i ask. How do you turn it by hand?

Thanks

Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Stroker09
i got a 250lb pulling magnet from harbor freight and stuck it on there. Its pretty strong. I dont think it will hurt anything to leave it down there for alittle. I plan to cut a hole in it and weld a patch on or something. I was pissed when that dropped in there. Just glad it didnt hurt anything. Other then that little mess up the pump went in great. I can even notice a difference in power and some more smoke. Thanks guys and dont worry about not telling me to turn the engine by hand. No big deal. But may i ask. How do you turn it by hand?

Thanks
I also read some where ,,, someone drilled out the drain plug hole a bit more ,,removed the tappet & used a repair kit for the oil drain...

Old 05-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Robbgt
I'm PISSED I didn't remind him of that! I was almost 100% sure it was in that post with the original directions. When I did my pump, i un-bolted it, rattled it a bit then cranked the truck over by hand until the pump started to lift itself out of the hole. then you know the lobe it at the top and there is almost no way it can fall down. I'm sorry man

Thanks for the Props Todd, just wish I could have helped him out better...

-Robb
I tried this on mine ,,,it was stuck ,,,, or ,,,the tappet isn't designed to be longer than the stroke..

I have heard it said many times ,,but never heard of anyone doing it & having it work....

The lobe in the correct position will keep it from falling in...

I also read of a way to know were the right spot is , I''ll see if I saved it...

Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
I can't remember where ,, but I had this saved :...

dropped the plunger from the low pressure pump down my motor!
fortunatly it landed in the oil pan, but it was a little to big to fit through the drain hole. so i bought what they call a pan saver, where you drill a new hole in your oil pan, and plug it with a special bolt. that was just big enough to get the plunger out through the bottom.....be careful..

Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Todd525
Posting Guru
To turn the motor over by hand, just go to the crank bolt with a ratchet, and heave. Your supposed to loosen the fuel pump bolts, knock it around a little to ensure that it isnt stuck, then crank slowly while watching for the pump to rise out of the valley of death. You will see how far it comes up, when it s up, yank it out. Tappet fals down, just grab it with a pair of needle nose pliars. Its not that the lobe has enough lift to keep the tappet INTO the pump, its the fact that with the lobe raised, it decreases the clearence between the lobe and the block enough that it CANT fall thru. Like trying to stuff 10 gallons into a 5 gallon hat, it just cant fit. LOL The end.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Action4478
I have heard it said many times ,,but never heard of anyone doing it & having it work....
Action, See Below.

Originally Posted by Todd525
To turn the motor over by hand, just go to the crank bolt with a ratchet, and heave. Your supposed to loosen the fuel pump bolts, knock it around a little to ensure that it isnt stuck, then crank slowly while watching for the pump to rise out of the valley of death. You will see how far it comes up, when it s up, yank it out. Tappet fals down, just grab it with a pair of needle nose pliars.
Thats EXACTLY how I did it on my truck. I cranked the engine over with a ratchet and had a buddy of mine watch the pump until started to rise a bit out of the hole. They you can grab it and yank it out. I was fortunate enough that the tappet was still in the pump, but had it not I would have been able to fish it out with pliers because the lobe was blocking the it from falling down.

-Robb

Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Stroker09
Junior User
I think a How to section is needed lol. With good detailed directions. I know it would help me with other things. I found this thing online that you drill into your oil plug and it makes the threading bigger and comes with a bigger bold. I think it might work cause it would make it big enough for the tappet to fall through with out cutting apart the oil pan or pulling the engine. Learn from my mistakes and in sure alot of other peoples. Crank the engine by hand first lol. Im not to mad about it though. As long as it doesnt touch any moving parts its all good. Ill get it out of there some how.

Steve.