1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

big big problem need help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Stroker09
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
big big problem need help ASAP!!

Taking off the lift pump the tappet on the botton didnt come out with it and i heard it fall and go tink. Where did it fall??? and how do i get it out?? Thanks!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may have made it all the way to the oil pan. The only way to know is to drain the oil and use magnet or wire trying to drag it to the drain hole so you can verify it.
Rotate the engine by HAND ONLY until it falls into the oil pan.
Glue the magnet permantly to the oil pan so it can keep the tappet from moving around.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Stroker09
Taking off the lift pump the tappet on the botton didnt come out with it and i heard it fall and go tink. Where did it fall??? and how do i get it out?? Thanks!!!
Crap...

IIRC... some have removed it through the dipstick hole (big one on the pan)...

Old 05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Stroker09
Junior User
ok ill try it. im just freakin out. It just flat out fell in there when i pulled the pump off. No way of me stopping it. Ill drain the oil and see what happens. to turn the engine by hand i turn the fan correct?? sorry kinda new at this.

Thanks again

Old 05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
x3 Ouch man. I'm sorry to hear that... the directions that I posted for you should have had this part in bold.... What these guys said should work, good old magnet glued on there to hold her in place

Originally Posted by BEECHBM69
PART 2
Remove the two 10 mm bolts holding down the pump and carefully remove the pump from the crankcase bore. It will take some twisting and pulling. Be careful here so as not to lose the tappet into the cam crankcase. That would not be good. Examine your new pump to see how the tappet connects. Eventually you'll be able to lift the pump straight up and out of the engine.
-Robb

Old 05-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Stroker09
Junior User
pulling the thing out i was going to reach right in and make sure it didnt fall down the secound i could of got my hand under it but like the tappet didnt come out with the lift pump. the pump came out and all you heard was tink. how strong of a magnet do i need and how the hell do i find it in the oil pan?

Old 05-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dumb question I know but if you look down that hole ya can't see it ... correct?

Old 05-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Stroker09
Junior User
nope. all you see is the thing it sits on. I found it down in my oil pan. i can put my pinky in the screw whole and feel the side of it. So just get a big boy megnet and glue it on there? thanks guys. Sorry i just freaked alittle. never dropped something in there before lol

Old 05-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Stroker09
nope. all you see is the thing it sits on. I found it down in my oil pan. i can put my pinky in the screw whole and feel the side of it. So just get a big boy megnet and glue it on there? thanks guys. Sorry i just freaked alittle. never dropped something in there before lol
You're not the first that this has happened to. Good find though.

I bet this had occurred many times in different repair shops. My guess is they just leave it in the pan and no one is the wiser. I really can't see how it can hurt anything just laying in the bottom of the pan. I've never heard anyone indicate they destroyed the engine by not removing it, although I've never had that pan off to really see how much room is in there, nor am I a diesel engineer.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I would worry about is the tappet getting in the way of oil flow to the pickup tube for the oil pump. I doubt it would get caught up in the internal spinning parts.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Your supposed to crank the motor over by hand to move the lobe into the raised position. This eliminates any and all possibility of it falling into the crank case/oil pan. Kinda the problem for this site. Everyone knows the basics, and only a few know the tricks. What we need to do is start a step by step how to section that has instructions looked over from guys like Coon, TJ, Madvan, Kawa, Robbgt and such. Most of them have the pics that show, and they all have the tricks up their sleeves.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OUCH! that sucks big time. if it were my personal truck i would not have anything in my oil pan other then oil, magnet or not, thinks can break loose and the last thing i want is a hunk of steel floating through my oil.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd525
Your supposed to crank the motor over by hand to move the lobe into the raised position. This eliminates any and all possibility of it falling into the crank case/oil pan. Kinda the problem for this site. Everyone knows the basics, and only a few know the tricks. What we need to do is start a step by step how to section that has instructions looked over from guys like Coon, TJ, Madvan, Kawa, Robbgt and such. Most of them have the pics that show, and they all have the tricks up their sleeves.
I'm PISSED I didn't remind him of that! I was almost 100% sure it was in that post with the original directions. When I did my pump, i un-bolted it, rattled it a bit then cranked the truck over by hand until the pump started to lift itself out of the hole. then you know the lobe it at the top and there is almost no way it can fall down. I'm sorry man

Thanks for the Props Todd, just wish I could have helped him out better...

-Robb

Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you live and learn. i've never dropped one so i'm not sure if it can be fished out or not though. best of luck to you. i dont know if the pan can be dropped enough to fish it out. it very well may. if not the motor must come out to remove the pan.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Todd525
Thank you for the comment on the famous five.

Where where you when the question was asked? I too did the search on the lift pump and also raised it by rotating the engine.